Quick Question

First Year with racers!

All 12 pairs of stock paired middle of dec, and layed within a fortnight of each other....9 pairs have already hatched only 5 of those 9 have only hatched one of the eggs...most, upon inspection had fully formed embryos in, and a couple not filled. At present all of the chicks look really well.

My question is....Is this normal? or have I done something wrong? Birds were treated for worms and cancer during the weeks before pairing? Im starting to wonder if the multi vits in the water on occasions and medication may have hardened the shells or something???? perhaps far fetched, but I am a novice!

your views please :pidge:

First Year with racers!

All 12 pairs of stock paired middle of dec, and layed within a fortnight of each other....9 pairs have already hatched only 5 of those 9 have only hatched one of the eggs...most, upon inspection had fully formed embryos in, and a couple not filled. At present all of the chicks look really well.

My question is....Is this normal? or have I done something wrong? Birds were treated for worms and cancer during the weeks before pairing? Im starting to wonder if the multi vits in the water on occasions and medication may have hardened the shells or something???? perhaps far fetched, but I am a novice!

your views please :pidge:

but slow answers, could be as listed above , only knowledge i can apply is a pal 2 years back treated the same prior to pairing and hatching and had a terrible result like yourself . i think this maybe the reason .

that thought crossed my mind TOOSHY , but its been really mild , and he,s a lot further South than us.

thanks for the reply. With regards to the chill factor, we have been very mild here as mentioned. all nest panels are tipple wrapped with newspaper, and have pan felts and loads of straw. breeding loft has an ambient temperature of about 10 degrees. Perhaps I'll just have to wait until the second round........very disappointed to say the least!

thanks for the reply. With regards to the chill factor, we have been very mild here as mentioned. all nest panels are tipple wrapped with newspaper, and have pan felts and loads of straw. breeding loft has an ambient temperature of about 10 degrees. Perhaps I'll just have to wait until the second round........very disappointed to say the least!

I wonder if conditions have been too dry, did they have access to bath, eggs need a certain amount of moisture to be viable, could try spraying the eggs with a fine mist in the last few days

I wonder if conditions have been too dry, did they have access to bath, eggs need a certain amount of moisture to be viable, could try spraying the eggs with a fine mist in the last few days

thanks alot...I didnt know that and it certainly sounds feasible as i do hammer the lime flour down keeping things bone dry and clean on a daily basis. furthermore the new loft was bought from a fancier who flew to an open door, and as of yet I have not as yet fitted an aviary, therefore allowing the stock to bath properly is difficult at present.....i will try very fine warm mist... many thanks

thanks alot...I didnt know that and it certainly sounds feasible as i do hammer the lime flour down keeping things bone dry and clean on a daily basis. furthermore the new loft was bought from a fancier who flew to an open door, and as of yet I have not as yet fitted an aviary, therefore allowing the stock to bath properly is difficult at present.....i will try very fine warm mist... many thanks

Good mate, that sound very likely then, All the best for 2012