My Dad And Club Mates Old Picture !

bombersbullets

In this part of our heritage I will attempt to expand on fanciers who were household names in their halcyon days. The Tom Nisbet Memorial Trophy was put forward in memory of that other great Galston fancier of the pre 1914-18 era. Tom Nisbet was an outstanding racer in a very competitive club, he also liked to venture to the big Open Shows as far as London and Birmingham. In the H.P. National Shows of 1914-15 he came home with some good prizes, one of his crack birds at that time was a Blue Chequer Cock.

This photo was taken from a 1903 advert by Tom Nisbet of Galston. The Blue Chequer Cock on the left bred in 1903 scored from Southport then kept for stock. He won 49 x 1st prizes in the showpen and is the sire of "Defender II" the cock on the right who won H.P. Cup and was reserve Champion at the H.P. Open Show in Birmingham.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe and Willie Weeks of Crosshouse were both super pigeon men and workers for the sport. Joe took on the roll of reserve conveyor in 1920 and the following year was upgraded to chief, he held this post for the next five years.

At one point they raced as Weeks Brothers and were top prize winners on a good number of times. In the late twenties they had a Red Chequer Cock named "Red Shadow" and H. Kennedy and Sons also had a Red Chequer Cock which they named "Golden Arrow" for four years they took turn about beating each other from S.N.F.C. Rennes having made the open result at least twice each.

There was a common bond here as it was the Kennedy's who bred the dam of "Shadow". John Weeks, Joe's son showed me a gold medal won by the Weeks Brothers in 1921 in Crosshouse Club for the combined averages.

John said there is a story behind this medal. The winners had to deposit £5 with the secretary before they got it home for one year. Joe and Willie did not have the £5 between them, a younger non-fancier brother stepped in with the deposit.

Crosshouse Club was formed in 1911 and is still in good shape today their oldest member is Wm. McDill from Dreghorn must be one if not the longest serving member in the Federation today. John Weeks has in his possession one of the early metal rings which is real quality it reads SU.18.A.603.

Johnny Brown had a close affinity with the Weeks family and continued to win out of turn with this par excellent family of pigeons for years after the brothers passing. Sadily as I pen these lines Johnny himself is in hospital hence the lack of information on performances. One result which comes to mind not so long ago was when Johnny then racing with his son Tom, topped the Federation from the last inland race which I may add turned out to be a dour affair. When I congratulated them and took a photograph, behind them was a hue of colour from a flower bed, it was then I was informed Johnny and his brother were masters in the Open Flower Shows as well, true men of nature.

Kilwinning H.S. came into being in 1906-07 and has had its fair share of class one fanciers:- Reid Brothers, Sanny Sim, Muir Brothers, Alex Gillespie, Palmer Brothers, John Digby, Alex Wales, Archie Gibson & Sons, Andy Savage and J.C. Kennedy all spring to mind having met with success over a fifty year span.

The 1936 Rennes race went down as a Smash when all the prizes were not won. Jock Russell of Lanarkshire was the winner on a 809 velocity and over 100 y.p.m. separated the top three pigeons. Reid Brothers were 6th Open with their Pied Hen named "Fergushill Lass" which I will describe in the next chapter. Fergushill was a small village one mile East of Kilwinning and it was here too the Sim's Digby's and Muir's all learned their trade.

Robert and Jimmy Muir in particular were winning their fair share when the writer started taking an interest in the sport. Wee Rab as he was often referred to tends their tomato houses while Jimmy had his own coal delivery service.

Archie Gibson & Sons bred a Blue Cock which was named "Blue Jock" which was three times in the first fifty Open Rennes prizes. Around the same time Alex Wales had a Red Cock which had an up and down career as a youngster.

At the yearling stage he faired no better having been adrift twice for two days in the early races. He was given a rest then prepared for Cheltenham, it was reputed that Alex Wales said the Red Cock was on his last chance, he came out and won his club in a canter with a high Federation position and from that day he never looked back. This good cock too scored three times from Rennes after this and his total winnings were over £1.300. If not the first he was certainly amongst those who were to win in excess of £1000 pounds. Alex's Red Cock also won the Dol race at two years of age.

Our Ayrshire bard Robert Burns wrote of the Honest men and Bonnie lasses. Well in my 40 years in the sport I can honestly say the late Dan McCann fell into that category. Big Danny as he was affectionately known was Secretary of Hurlford H.S. for many years yet managed his share of prizes annually. His biggest moment of joy was when he topped Ayrshire Federation from Avranches with his Mealy Hen named "Helen's Pride" when1,313 birds took part. Danny never held council on the street or in a bar but stated his views most strongly at the A.G.M. meeting, a gentleman of his time. Son James continued the lofts and within two seasons won the Anderson Shield something Big Danny would have been proud of.

Over the years the Federation has been most fortunate to have had gifted secretaries. One such person was J. H. Young, 4 Mayville Street, Stevenston. He was often referred to as Joker Young and was a top management clerk in the Great Western Railways. He must have saved the pigeon fraternity many hundreds of pounds over the years as it was he who had a final say what the rail carriage costs were to the races. What I remember of Mr. Young seeing him through the eyes of a primary schoolboy and without being unkind he resembled Mr. Pickwick out of the Dickens novel. Anyway he always referred to me as Young Kennedy when I was sent to the local telephone box on the race days to see if the birds were liberated, I can still remember his phone number Ardrossan-Saltcoats 229. One Saturday my dad sent me down to the phone box at Girdle Toll to see if the birds were off.I was always given four pence, it was two pence for the call and I usually went to the wee shop and got two penny caramels. It must have been an Annan or Penrith race as when I got through to Mr Young the birds were an hour on the wing. I went and bought my caramels then proceeded home with the news of the liberation. Arriving at our back garden I was just in time to see the furore of dad running up to the house for the clock and thimbles as a bird arrived home. For the next two weeks I was given two pence the correct money for the phone call. Joker Young served us well from the early forties until 1962.

Ayrshire Federation Dance 1977 Top right is Ian Cameron our current Race Controller and immediately below Ian is Jim Paterson our long time Secretary. Front centre is Mrs Paterson and to her right is our Webmaster Jim Savage, Abbeyton Lofts then 18 years of age holding the British Heart Foundation Trophy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I first visited Jim Paterson when he was at Largs working at the Water Filter Station. Jim was elected Federation secretary in 1966 and held the post until 1982. During this period Jim also became S.H.U. and Confederation President. He also had many wins over an illustrious career with something near half a dozen 1st Fed diplomas. I once wrote an article on Jimmy for the R.P. Pictorial and half way through I politely asked him his age. He replied with a dry smile "Half way between Heaven and Hell".

What I put in my article was "Jimmy is in the afternoon of life's way". Season 1980 saw J.P. which he was sometimes called topped the Federation and was also 1st West Coast Combine from Avranches with a Mealy Cock bred by Matt Cowan which it later became known as "Cowan's Promise". I am sure Jimmy's proudest moment was when he won the Anderson Shield for the first time after many failures.

Jim was also Race Controller for a number of years when we went on road transport. Myself being Federation President at that time there was none more sorry for him after the Fullwood Y.B. race disaster when less than 100 made home by nightfall from 155 miles when 3,722 birds took part. Jim himself topped the Federation in this sad event which still comes up in conversation to this day.

Alex Speir of Dalry is lovingly referred to as the Quiet Man, equally lovingly his wife May could well have been given the name Talkative Lady who has one of those infectious laughs to go with it. Alex is the longest serving member in his club, in 1990 he was presented with a Testimonial Plaque for 59 years membership, that has now risen to 68 years in this our Centenary Year. Alex's most famous pigeon and he has had a few was a Blue W/Flt Hen called "Wee Lady". In the 1959 Rochforte race she was 12th Open, the following year from the same event she was 1st into Scotland covering the 695 miles with a 886 Y.P.M. velocity. She is pictured here with her Sire a Chequer Pied Cock who won two years on the trot from Christchurch.

Alex Spiers Dalry Lofts. On the left the Chequer Pied Cock that won two years running from Christchurch and is the Sire of "Wee Lady" the Blue Pied Hen on the right. "Wee Lady" was 1st in Scotland from the Rochforte race which is 695 miles to Dalry.

The base of Alex's family were Barkers which he purchased from J Brewster of Liverpool blended with Reid Brothers and Dr Andersons, Later a daughter of Blue Jock gave the family a further boost. Another famous victory came in 1993 now racing as Mr & Mrs Speir and M Wilson (daughter Myra) with another Blue Pied Hen line bred from Wee Lady was 1st Fed, 1st West Coast Combine in the Sartilly race on a 965 velocity when only a handful of day pigeons were recorded.

Robert Boyce of Dalry H.S. with his plaque making him a life member of the club he served as secretary.

Another name synonymous with Dalry H.S. is the name Boyce. James Boyce was the farm manager to the Blair Estate Trust Co. for some 39 years, he entered pigeons in 1932. It was a proud moment when he won the Young Bird Cup in 1938, however the late forties were his strong years winning the Old Bird Cup 1948, 1949 and 1950 when he got the trophy to keep. On the administration side James was club secretary for 20 years until 1969. His son Robert then took over the mantle and served the club for the next 25 years.

Robert to my knowledge never raced pigeons but dad and himself have a combined 67 years membership in Dalry H.S. Robert's proudest moment came in 1993 when he was made a Hon. Life Member. Even today he still acts as secretary for the North Ayrshire 3-Bird C.C.

Dalry had a host of familiar names such as J. Good & Son, Bobby Harkins and the local barber Alex Nisbet, all capable of producing the winner on a given Saturday. Nantes 1965 race they did themselves and the club proud was when J. Good & Son, Jacky were 1st Section 5th Open immediately followed by Alex the jovial barber who was 2nd Section 6th Open. The Blue Hen of J. Good & Son flew Nantes three times and was 11th Section at her first attempt. Bobby Harkins too was a pillar of strength and produced winners for others as well as himself at the highest level.

Kilmarnock United and later Kilmarnock H.S. had some notable fanciers down the years. While in my teens two partnerships come readily to mind was first Lindsay & Bell then Lindsay & Wright who had many club and Federation wins. John C. Wright has been secretary for the past 19 years and for a time raced with his brother under J & J. Wright. Much earlier I found first the name A. Lindsay and within two years it became A & W. Lindsay who had some prominent positions in the thirties. They were renown for their almost Crow Black pigeons which were often referred to as the "Lindsay Blacks". Alex Lindsay was a personal friend of Wing Commander Lea Rayner who I believe had some of the finest Dark Logans in his team of pigeons. One hen in particular called the "Pinkun" became the dam and grand-dam of these Blacks and Alex had close descendants of this tribe which scored freely. I could not leave the Kilmarnock scene without a mention of wee Jimmy McIlwraith who has been in our sport since the early twenties.

After the 1939-45 conflict Jimmy Mac penned notes for the British Homing World under the pen name "Glencairn". Another who did much on the admin. side was Matt Fowler who held the secretary post in his club and the West Coast Combine, while Alex (Tarry) Calder was a small team man who every now and then came up with the goods and was made a Life Member of the Federation.

At the Open Show L to R. The Author, R Kennedy (Senior), G Murdoch, special judge I Baird of Airdrie, W Lewis, J McCallum, S Barr, Les Davidson "Observer" of B.H.W. Seated, A. Legget, J Manders, Major. N. Hutton, W. Holmes and A.G. Murray. On the floor are W. Holmes two sons.

Leslie Davidson a border man came to Galston where he competed against the cream of the fancy of

that era, namely Tom Paton, Tom McCrorie and the Richmond Bros Hugh Richmond was a talented photographer of pigeons. Leslie was a bank manager and loved his pigeons which he said gave him a sense of relaxation. He wrote a column for the British Homing World under the pen name "Observer" possibly this derived from his time in the R.A.F. where he was a sergeant attached to the Pigeon Services. A learned man he dabbled in the field of genetics and studied cross breeding with colours. When he moved to Kilmarnock he had the same pigeons winning within a year, during his time there he won the Anderson Shield. Promotion at the work took him to Greenock where in no time he was performing with the best. The Kilmarnock area had a number of members who kept a keen interest in the welfare of the Federation, Andrew Auld is a past President and while racing with Son Douglas topped the Federation from Sartilly in 1982 and was 4th Combine with their Blue Chequer Hen.

The Commonwealth Games committee put up three medals for the fastest three pigeons on the nearest Saturday to the games opening in Edinburgh. West Coast Federation were racing from Appleby that day released in a fresh South East Wind and the Gold medal went to A. & D. Auld of Kilmarnock with the Silver to Ian Lind of New Cumnock, another memorable day for county fanciers.

Six years later and the Presidency returned to Kilmarnock when Dan McTaggart took on this honourable position. Dan started in the sport in 1960 and when courting Betty later to be his faithful wife, her first jaunt with Dan was to Kilbirnie to collect a stray youngster which had lifted from Dan's brother-in-law Victor Szulc loft. One achievement which Dan was particularly proud of was winning the Old Bird and Combined Averages for the first time in Kilmarnock H.S. That season Dan won 7 old bird and 4 young bird races and along the way topped the Federation from Cheltenham. Joining the Ayrshire Channel Club he was 1st Avranches and 1st Rennes, in the latter race he was 1st Region, 6th Section and 26th Open. On the weekend I called on Dan he had just won Best in Show at the Hurlford all winners final.

"Indefatigable" J & J Young & Wm. Kelly raced this super Mealy Cock. He flew 1,520 miles in a space of five weeks with the Scottish National Flying Club. against 19,335 birds and collected three diplomas.

Nearly every decade a super pigeon pops up and one power house of a pigeon was partners John Young & Willie Kelly's Mealy Cock aptly named "Indefatigable" which scored in three Nationals in the same year. His first effort was from Avranches where he took 56th Sect, 208th Open, next came the big one Rennes to be 32nd Sect, 153rd Open. Fourteen days later he was off again to Avranches and was clocked taking 39th Sect, 208th Open.

Three sterling performances in the space of five weeks racing to their Spittalhill Lofts at Symington just South-East of Kilmarnock. John told me most men would have been worried stiff by his erratic performances especially Stafford where he took longer to return than he did from the channel.

Will we ever fathom out what or how the homing instinct works, I think not as this is what makes our hobby so interesting. Later racing on his own Willie's "Versatile Lady" a Blue Chequer Hen who put up three brilliant performances from S.N.F.C. Niort race, 1989, 45th Open, 1990, 14th Open and in 1991 was 26th Open. This good pigeon had a chequered career as a young bird so never kill in haste.

The mere mention of Crookedholm and immediately in pigeon circles the name Malcolm Brothers rolls off fanciers tongues. Willie and Jim are truly dedicated fanciers, they would have to be as they carry water daily over a field from their home. Their lofts sits on a mound overlooking Kilmarnock and their pigeons range freely. I first met these two enthusiasts in the early fifties when visiting our cousins in the same village. Willie informed me they hold the record for the number of 1st Fed. in Open races which at the moment they have eight. The early seventies started a fifteen year spell when next to nothing went wrong. During this purple patch they won their club Channel Race six years on the trot and three of them were 1st Fed. 1977 was a special year when Willie and Jim were 1st Club, 1st Fed, 1st Combine with a Blue Chequer Hen, this hen had 3 x 1st Fed. diplomas one of which was from Worchester enroute to her Combine win from Avranches. Two sisters of the above hen were 1st Fed., 2nd Combine in separate years from the same race point. The year they won the Anderson Shield they were never out of the top five Federation positions, winning the Nomination pool in four of them and Willie freely admitted it was Jimmy who picked the poolers. The brothers were delighted when Peter Scott of Scott Brothers of Coalburn phoned to say they had won the Young Bird National from Cheltenham in 1986 and Malcolm Bros. had bred the dam.

The names Cowan and Saltcoats go together like bread and butter. After 40 years plus Matt Cowan gave up the sport two years ago, as a young man he started as an apprentice jockey but weight problems forced him to return to Saltcoats and his original hobby pigeons. Matt had a keen eye for a pigeon and always liked a fair size team around him. He once told me you have a wider choice when it comes to pairing up time and you don't have to breed off them all anyway. One of his early successes was in a race from Beauvais organised by the East of Scotland Continental Club. The East entry as expected far outnumbered those from the West, however that did not deter Matt from having a go. He was well rewarded when the result came out 1st West Section, 2nd Open a powerful result indeed. This success only infused Matt to try many channel races in the future and he must have as many if not more S.N.F.C. diplomas as any fancier in Ayrshire. Matt's name is on most of his clubs trophies and he has won The Shield three times. He left the sport in a blaze of glory when his Mealy Cock was 1st Fed Sartilly in his final year.

Dalry H.S. has certainly produced a steady stream of excellent fanciers and administrators down the years. John Campbell for instance has not missed a club race in 48 years, that in itself is some achievement. John is a farmer near to nature, none of those fancy pills or potions for his pigeons and he can set them up for the show pen as well as any. Proof of this is that he has twice been Best in Show at Ayr Dam Park with over 1,000 entries on both occasions. At the same venue John has won the channel class three times with different pigeons. On the racing side too he was no easy meat as most years he had some silver to collect at the club annual. John is also a past winner of the Anderson Shield which goes to the fancier with the best average over the five open races.

John Barr of Kilbirnie who was 1st West Section, 3rd Open S.N.F.C. Rennes 1976 when the recorded entry of 7,953 pigeons competed. John scored with his 4 year old Red Hen who broke both legs as a young bird then won the longest Young Bird Race.

When it comes to "The Shield" as it is often referred to the leading protagonists one A & R Reid and J & I Barr who have been Ayrshire Champions no less than eleven times between them.

Leslie John Barr and his son Iain have their lofts at the farm half way between Dalry and Kilbirnie. For two decades the typesetters at the local paper were almost on talking terms as their name appeared often two or three times in the Dalry result sheet each week.

The partnership for a time held the record having won The Shield five times, they were also 3rd Open Rennes and 1st Section from the largest convoy ever in 1976 when 7,953 entries competed for £57,633 in prizes and pools. They topped the Federation back to back from Sartilly in seasons 1994 and 1995. First with a Red Cock then a Blue Cock both on the day of liberation. John's uncle George Murdoch is a past Federation President and a first class pigeon man, there is no doubt John had some early schooling from uncle George not to mention a few winning pigeons to boot.

A & R Reid of Beith six times winner of The William Anderson Memorial Shield

A & R Reid of Beith are another father and son team who two seasons ago surpassed the Barr's record number of wins. To give it its full title The Wm. Anderson Memorial Shield now has the name A & R Reid inscribed Six times. Robert Reid was friendly with the late Robert Jamieson of Lochwinnoch and attained some fine stock from his winning Grizzle family which accounted for part of the staying power in the Reid's family. Crossed with the busschaerts from Harry McHarrie of Monkton.

Their achievements flying to the northern end of Ayrshire A & R Reid must have got as near to the perfect blend as is possible to get. Season 1983 their Dark Hen topped Sartilly with a 1400 yards per minute velocity, as true blend of power and speed honed to perfection.

Another back to back channel Federation loft topper that springs to mind is Dougie McGregor of Kilmaurs who races through the Crosshouse Club. Season 1990 saw Dougie win Sartilly with a Chequer Hen which the year previous had made a mistake and come home from the Blackpool area with a note on her leg. In 1991 it was a lovely Dark Chequer Cock which did the business, again both winners were clocked on the day of release.

James Barr & Son of Irvine were a force to be recorded with in the 50's and 60's. Steve Barr on purchasing a small team of youngsters from Harry Litchfield that crack Yorkshire fancier from that day never looked back. I had not long entered the sport and still maintain this was one of the best father-son partnerships I have come to know in all my years of scribing. I am sure Steve will forgive me when I say Dad did much of the planning and he did most of the chores, i.e., training, etc. They enjoyed a host of wins, one in particular was a real hard Christchurch race where they topped the Federation. The same year they had a super Avranches race clocking three on the night and a further three early next morning and from memory five were in the prizes with their best one 2nd Fed. just beaten by clubmate John Nixon of Girdle Toll. When Dad passed away Steve and his good wife Jean set up loft at Galt Avenue. Further success followed and the highlight of their career came in 1987 when they were 1st Club, 1st Fed., from Sartilly with a Dark Chequer Hen on an 1199 velocity, with 868 birds competing. In his younger days Steve was a fair amateur footballer who took no prisoners but never once went out to cause damage to an opponent.

Tom Blakely's Pied Hen won 1st Fed. from Dorchester the year the convoy was returned from Sartilly pending the seamen's strike, 1989.

To date Irvine's only winner of The Shield is Tom Blakely of Girdle Toll. Tom is a nephew of Donaldson Brothers, who scored to three different loft locations, first at Fergushill, Girdle Toll then Kilwinning H. S. The Donaldson's famous pigeon was named "Skinny" who was a Chequer Cock who never appeared to carry any body weight to speak of but it never stopped him winning right to the South Coast.

Tom Blakely topped the Federation when the convoy was brought back from Sartilly to Dorchester due to the seamen's possible pending strike at the channel ports. "Who would want to be a Race Controller"?.

While in my home patch Irvine on behalf of the club members may I express our thanks to secretary Robert McAulay for his service over the past 26 years. He is also a past Federation President and has had his moments on the racing side too, winning the Appledore disaster when only a handful were home by nightfall. In the most recent 20 years Harvey Pollock has dominated the Old Bird scene in Irvine winning the O.B. Average 12 times. During the same period he has twice been runner-up for the Federation average along with winning the Kenning Trophy for Y.B. average. Harvey has tried the roundabout system but reverted to widowhood.

The Bingham family are ardent workers for the sport Robert (Senior) is a first class treasurer while Robert (Junior) looked after the social side with money making schemes. They have scored from the first to the last races at some point and are difficult to beat in the Y.B. races.

"Bobby Lad" Robert McCubbins winner of the Supreme Champions of U.K. winner at Blackpool Show in January 1996.

On the show scene too fanciers from Ayrshire have reached the dizzy heights. Robert McCubbin in particular who was a member of Irvine N.H.S., before moving to Prestwick reached his pinnacle of showing achievement when his Red Chequer Cock "Bobby Lad" was acclaimed Supreme Champion of the U.K. at the Blackpool Show in 1996. Robert has been placed Best in Show at almost every major show in Scotland or at least been placed Best Opposite Sex award.

Robert and a team of willing workers ran the Ayr Dam Park Charity Show when the previous grand committee called a halt. Many glorious December days were spent at Dam Park when show manager Alex Lothian and secretary Eleanor Grant took the reins after embryo talks at the Amsterdam Olympiad. Dam Park hold the record of over 1,340 entries for any one day show in the U.K.

Liz McGinley wife of the Ayrshire Federation secretary is flanked here by Ricky and Mark Findlay of the Reaper Club who won the Wm. Anderson Memorial Shield for the Best Average in the five Open Races 1999. These lads were also 3rd Fed. Sartilly to win the J. K. Paterson Trophy in season 1998.

I could not let this moment pass without mention of the late James E. Lucas of Ayr. Jim as he was known to his fellow fanciers had the distinction of serving on the Scottish Homing Union for almost fifty years. In his formative years in our sport he raced his pigeons with Ayrshire Federation, only to become secretary of the Kyle Federation in their early years.

Best matches for photo of lanarkshire pigeon fed members 1980

This photo was taken from a 1903 advert by Tom Nisbet of Galston. Jump to text »

must be one if not the longest serving member in the Federation today. Jump to text »

Jock Russell of Lanarkshire was the winner on a 809 velocity and over 100 y.p.m. Jump to text »

Season 1980 saw J.P. which he was sometimes called topped the Federation and was also 1st... Jump to text »

More matches »« Fewer matches