Thorsten-Daum

yeboah

Having viewed the Thorsten DVD that a friend of his gave me,he stated that pigeons in the race team that were performing really well for him were retired to the stock loft at a young age before they were lost,then pairing best to best by type he was able to produce countless good pigeons from them,thus part of the reason why he is where he is at present,Now I for one have always kept pushing my best performing pigeons and inevitably a bad race will catch up with them and down they go ,hindsight is a wonderful thing but would love to still have some of the birds that have went down these last few years,perhaps a different approach is required ? What are your views thoughts on this one ,Thanks Mick :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Having viewed the Thorsten DVD that a friend of his gave me,he stated that pigeons in the race team that were performing really well for him were retired to the stock loft at a young age before they were lost,then pairing best to best by type he was able to produce countless good pigeons from them,thus part of the reason why he is where he is at present,Now I for one have always kept pushing my best performing pigeons and inevitably a bad race will catch up with them and down they go ,hindsight is a wonderful thing but would love to still have some of the birds that have went down these last few years,perhaps a different approach is required ? What are your views thoughts on this one ,Thanks Mick :emoticon-0138-thinking:

I think its a must to have stock birds these days if you want to have a family of pigeons.= Race birds only last for so long these days especially if your racing into scotland so i think its wise to have breeding pigeons,and yes its hard to stop a good racer.

I think its a must to have stock birds these days if you want to have a family of pigeons.= Race birds only last for so long these days especially if your racing into scotland so i think its wise to have breeding pigeons,and yes its hard to stop a good racer.

jim took 18 late breds this year all cooper based pigeons from pigeons that have scored for us in nationals they have went straight into stock loft so hopefully these can reproduce good pigeons for us

as i only race cocks the best hens are kept each year and moved into my widowhood loft mated with my best cocks the best producing hens in my widowhood loft then move into my stock loft i dont move a cock in unless he has a series of good results and usually they will have to have bred something in my widowhood loft with a small amount of space that i have i really could not move on the best yearlings or 2 year olds in my stock loft :emoticon-0138-thinking:

On the other side of the coin do you think sometimes people are a bit too quick to put birds to stock??

If a bird scores well up once from a big race does this make it a champion pigeon worthy to breed off for years to come??Or was it just in the physical condition of its life and in the right batch on the day??

Saying that you could try to race it the following year and lose it from a 60 mile race.What a tangled web we weave :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Think one has to get 'Yard Sticks' firmly into place.... and more intense as the better ones birds fare. Yep of course one has to start in the loft... then Club / Fed /Nationals etc. But again Loft location(s) and winds have also to be very relevant in all results.