Looking For A 'Motivator'

Guest Denny

Hi,

I would love to learn some 'tricks of the trade' with regards to training my birds, having lost motivation due to a couple of 'hard knock' personal reasons. I do love my birds, but have just lost the 'umph' so to speak. 9 Months ago I relocated to the Wimborne/Blandford Forum area in Dorset from Leicester and I'm finding it hard to get back into the swing of things.

Its got to the stage that I am unsure of what I am doing is even correct! The loft has a number of young birds now and I am concerned about training them as I have lost almost all the older birds despite keeping them in for several months to 'relocate' themselves and now fearful of losing all my birds on a release! I do not know if what I am doing is correct, now even down to what I am feeding them at what stage of the season it is. :mellow:

If there is anyone local who could help give the 'kick up the butt' or a point in the right direction I need I would really appreciate it.

Denny I'm sure many will offer advice . If your concerned you lost all the old birds won't you be better retaining this years young birds as your future stock ??? Racing is over but if wanting to train pick your days , your young birds must be ranging freely before training , then train in 5 mile increments i.e 5 mile , 10 mile , 15 mile , 20 mile , if get a bad toss at any stage take them back to a previous lesser training spot to regain there confidence , then move them on in 10 mile increments , 30 mile 40 mile 50 mile after 50 mile return to small tosses of about 20 miles , your young birds would be ready to race :)

Hi Denny,

nice to see you back. I am not really sure what you want to do. Is it that you want to break your birds to your new location or what? If you have birds flying out and you want to train them that is fairly easy, because the best method of training is to give them repeated tosses from about 6 miles on the line of flight. The more the better. If I were you I would leave the longer stuff until next Spring.

However, I think that trying to train your current birds may prove to be quite a job and could be disapointing so why not consider aquiring a nice team of youngsters ready for young bird racing next year. If you are stuck for some quality youngsters get in touch and I will send you a pair of my sprinters to get you going. Just to give you a feel for what I have, they have aquired something like 30 Fed cards this year alone.

Guest strapper

best motivation statement i ever heard...2nd is the 1st loser!!!

there are so many motivations to list ...maybe members could put up their motivation..what worked for them.

Guest strapper

Hi Paul, I think motivation is keeping pigeons,once you've lost the will to win you might as well pack in.

hi lindsay m8,as you know ive packed in the birds i think new fanciers need to look up to the guy in their club thats winning more than not,see what he,s doing to be so successful.

when i started i had numerous people show/tell me things.

i looked upto the top guy and this is what motivated me...by beating those down the pecking order,you climb the ladder so to speak, untill one day...hopefully your the top guy that everyone wasnts to beat!