Canker And Iodine

Guest white flight ZA

Guest white flight ZA

Has any member tested the effects of using IODINE as a preventative cure against Trichomoniase?

I have read an article of a fancier who uses it (the 10% solution for external use) at the rate of 1ml per liter of water in the drinker when the birds come home from the race. It eliminates not only the canker flagellates but any other bugs they might have brought home from being in the race pannier. Their second drink would be an electrolyte - based replenisher.

They swab - tested these birds and they were clear for most of the week so he started using it each raceday with great success.

Going to try this in my racing season ... proof is in the pudding!

If it keeps Canker at bay worth a shot ;) many old hands use the Lugol's iodine along with parishes tonic and another one beginning with 'c' , mixed together as a tonic :)

If it keeps Canker at bay worth a shot ;) many old hands use the Lugol's iodine along with parishes tonic and another one beginning with 'c' , mixed together as a tonic :)

This what your looking for. :egyptian::egyptian::egyptian::egyptian:

Mix in plastic or glass jug.

One.Tablespoon lugols iodine.

One.Tablespoon liquid liver.

One.Tablespoon Parish's food.

One.Tablespoon Cytacon.

Add above to one pint of water.Store in fridge.Give on Wednesdays at a rate of one tablespoon/pint of water.

:emoticon-0137-clapping::emoticon-0137-clapping::emoticon-0137-clapping::emoticon-0137-clapping:

Lindsay

we use vanodine v18 in the drinkers on a return from the race which is a iodine based disinfectant 4mill to 5litres,then just up the dose to disinfect loft surfaces and baskets kills everything according to the bottle,

i use the same its good stuff

Guest homestead

I bought some 10% iodine yesterday from the farm shop £7-95 for 500ml and had a look on the internet about iodine and it said not to use internely its to strong you should use lugols iodine can anyone clarify this

This what your looking for. :egyptian::egyptian::egyptian::egyptian:

Mix in platic or glass jug.

One.Tablespoon lugols iodine.

One.Tablespoon liquid liver.

One.Tablespoon Parish's food.

One.Tablespoon Cytacon.

Add above to one pint of water.Store in fridge.Give on Wednesdays at a rate of one tablespoon/pint of water.

:emoticon-0137-clapping::emoticon-0137-clapping::emoticon-0137-clapping::emoticon-0137-clapping:

Lindsay

I didn't realise you were that young Lindsay :)

I bought some 10% iodine yesterday from the farm shop £7-95 for 500ml and had a look on the internet about iodine and it said not to use internely its to strong you should use lugols iodine can anyone clarify this

I wouldn't recommend it as could be too toxic for the birds, Lugols would be my first choice been used for many years :)

Guest white flight ZA

Quite correct!

Cytacon or any other B12 supplement.

Further investigation into the use of the 10% solution, which will destroy all bugs, good and bad, needs to be followed by a course of vitamin B12 and probiotics for two days, i.e. Sunday and Monday or Monday and Tuesday.

[Note this solution when correctly diluted will NOT harm the birds. I would say that 1ml/liter is equal to roughly one teaspoonful (5ml) per gallon (8 liters?)] <_<

The reason for this, early in the week, is to ensure that the birds do not drink anything that will make them thirsty, as most vitamins are in a sweetened base.

i asked the vet about the dosage and if it would kill any bacteria, good or bad in the crop,his reply was at the right dosage it would do no harm to the birds but as for killing trichos,fungi,and in general bacteria in the crop he couldnot say how effective it would be unless you did a trial study, that is for v18 used it for 5 years now and still use it never had a problem

i asked the vet about the dosage and if it would kill any bacteria, good or bad in the crop,his reply was at the right dosage it would do no harm to the birds but as for killing trichos,fungi,and in general bacteria in the crop he couldnot say how effective it would be unless you did a trial study, that is for v18 used it for 5 years now and still use it never had a problem

Interested in what your vet had to say on this. Over the years I have voiced the opinion that this is for external use only. Yes it sterilises the water the birds are drinking but has no further effect on the bird's innards when drunk.

• 1 year later...

I have used iodine for ever, couple of drops in the water every 2 or 3 days and not had a case of canker (to my knowledge) in the loft.

one of those things, some will dismiss it, others will be all for it... for me, it does my birds no harm... and having not had canker why stop!

JMO

Michael

Guest geordiejen

maybe it would be beneficial on a short term use or a quick fix if you think something is wrong.in my view keeping killing good bacteria and bad in the long run is not good for the birds.i prefere to use garlic in the water for a couple of days a week.i use a capful of apple cider vinegar to 2 litres of water almost daily and it seems to keep the birds healthy.also im trying some natural yogurt in the feed once a week.this should be left overnight to dry before giving it to the birds.as this post is quite old has anyone had any problems using iodine in the drinkers?

since you popped this up I have got all the ingredients for the old hand iodine tonic which I intend to use , there are other tonics on the market which are pretty similar , I have worked things out and come up with this recipe :

3 tbsn or 50 mls parishies chemical food

3 tbsn or 55 mls cytacon b12

3 tbsn or 55 mls liquid liver ( Red Cell )

1 tea spoon or 5mls lugols iodine

mix the above together add water and make up to 1 pint...

give to the birds 7 ml per pint of water

1 pint of tonic makes up 81 pints of water

Keep in fridge give Wednesdays

http://www.aviform.co.uk/?shop=shopitems/force.12.dmg.pre.race.booster.for.racing.pigeons.2401.aspx

http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Products/CN0418/red-cell-equine-supplement

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Lugols-Aqueous-Iodine-100ml/productinfo/LUGOLS/

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Parrishs-Food-250ml/productinfo/PARRISHS/

Birds look a picture and condition is excellent :)

One of the biggest problems for pigeons is the fact that people use antibiotics the use of which will nearly always lead to yeast infection of the crop. Antibiotics also causes pigeons to lose the immuity they need to deal with canker. Lugols or Aqueous iodine will stop yeast dead in it's tracks and if you use it regularly it will stop you spoiling the immunity of the birds against canker.

Iodine is the basis of most disinfectants many of which are used to kill foot and mouth disease. Bearing in mind that iodine is a very powerful chemical I think you need to be careful with the dose. Something like 1cc to a litre of water would be great. About twice a week would be more that enough to keep the birds in tip top health. Any more that that might do a lot of damage.

on the lugols bottle it recommends 2 to 4 drops per gallon it is obviously very strong on the birds and can damage them if over dose with it hence I'm going back to the old hands tonic which uses very little and works out as a very cheap tonic :)

if any of your pals are going to Blackpool get them to get you a product called

( gerdon i )

it will cost about £3.50 a bottle get 2 in and this will do you till the next show and it is made for pigeons by a VET you will meet him there and his stall, there is nothing more you need to give yer birds

the top fancier in Scotland use this stuff so there you go it is made with iodine

hope you can get yours this year.

• 1 year later...