Canker And Iodine

Guest white flight ZA

I bought some 10% iodine yesterday from the farm shop £7-95 for 500ml and had a look on the internet about iodine and it said not to use internely its to strong you should use lugols iodine can anyone clarify this

1 ml to a litre would seem a horendous dose i only put a few drops in when i use it and only use lugols .

Old Hands Tonic

3 tbsn or 50 mls parishies chemical food

3 tbsn or 55 mls cytacon b12

3 tbsn or 55 mls liquid liver ( Red Cell )

1 tea spoon or 5mls lugols iodine

mix the above together add water and make up to 1 pint...

give to the birds 7 ml per pint of water

1 pint of tonic makes up 81 pints of water Works out at £2.74 for 1 pint which treats 81 pints of water

Keep in fridge give Wednesdays

post-2598-13891161626334_thumb.jpg

on the lugols bottle it recommends 2 to 4 drops per gallon it is obviously very strong on the birds and can damage them if over dose with it hence I'm going back to the old hands tonic which uses very little and works out as a very cheap tonic :)

Hi

My bottle of lugols states 2/4 drops per PINT :emoticon-0138-thinking:

from Hyperdrug

Cheers

Homer 49

on the lugols bottle it recommends 2 to 4 drops per gallon it is obviously very strong on the birds and can damage them if over dose with it hence I'm going back to the old hands tonic which uses very little and works out as a very cheap tonic :)

Hi

My bottle of lugols states 2/4 drops per PINT :emoticon-0138-thinking:

from Hyperdrug Same as yours 100ml bottle

Cheers

Homer 49

Lugols iodine - varies greatly in strength - on eBay alone - and these are only the strengths I have been able to find - vary from 3% to 15% (with 7% and 12% also available)

Although the above mention the strength - they do not mention any breakdown of the components

The one I have I think is 2% iodine and 1% Potassium iodide. Does that constitute a 3% strength? The answer is 'I don't know' - to be truthful

The instructions on the bottle I have states 1 teaspoon to a gallon (a teaspoon is usually 5 mls and a gallon is 8 pints - or 4.5 litres - so that is just under 1 ml per litre - 5/8ths of a millilitre to 1 pint - a 1ml syringe would give you an accurate dosing measure - I keep a variety of sizes of syringes for accurate measuring )

A US Gallon is smaller by the way

I don't use Lugols Iodine any more because it is water soluble and can easily be watered down. I use aqueous iodine from the Chemist because this is produced for humans and subject the regulations. Few Chemists keep it in stock so you would usually have to order it. The dilution rate is 5ml (one teaspoon) to a gallon of water. Use it once or twice a week.

• 1 month later...

since you popped this up I have got all the ingredients for the old hand iodine tonic which I intend to use , there are other tonics on the market which are pretty similar , I have worked things out and come up with this recipe :

3 tbsn or 50 mls parishies chemical food

3 tbsn or 55 mls cytacon b12

3 tbsn or 55 mls liquid liver ( Red Cell )

1 tea spoon or 5mls lugols iodine

mix the above together add water and make up to 1 pint...

give to the birds 7 ml per pint of water

1 pint of tonic makes up 81 pints of water

Keep in fridge give Wednesdays

http://www.aviform.co.uk/?shop=shopitems/force.12.dmg.pre.race.booster.for.racing.pigeons.2401.aspx

http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Products/CN0418/red-cell-equine-supplement

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Lugols-Aqueous-Iodine-100ml/productinfo/LUGOLS/

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Parrishs-Food-250ml/productinfo/PARRISHS/

Birds look a picture and condition is excellent :)

I remember Barry McNicholas swearing by this .

Over the millions of years the rock dove developed they were never short of minerals including salt or iodine because they tended to live near the sea and would drink brackish water and could peck about in the grit and sand on the shore which ensured that they had a ready supply of calcium. It was a similar situation with oxygen. They certainly did not have draft proof lofts with central heating or conversely lofts with ammonia fumes wafting around them. I think this should give us all a clue as to how we should treat and house our birds.

I believe that modern racing pigeons are ruined by enclosing them in airless lofts, without adequate supplies of minerals and grits and denying them essential things like iodine. I often find it amazing that people will spend small fortunes on expensive food but fail to realise that pigeons need to be supplied with these other things to attain top condition. The clue lies in watching the behavior of pigeons at breeding time. They will show you that they crave grit and clay by the way they eat it. Then there the hens that either lay soft shelled eggs or suffer with egg binding which are both sure signs of mineral deficiency in the majority of cases. Many birds delay laying their eggs and in some cases the laying of the colony is spread out over a considerable time often stretching into weeks and even then there is often a lot of infertile eggs. All these things are affected by an inadequate diet.