Darkness System - How To Work Round It

Guest C Visser

Guest C Visser

Hi

Im looking to try the Darkness System next year, but i have read a few systems and im finding it hard to fit it into my schedule. Basically i need to start work at 8am, but im not home to 5.45, can i still make the darkness system work.

Colum

H Colum,

I work shifts and I have had to adapt the darkness system to suit as I dont get home until 6-7pm some nights. What I do is darken down the loft and have the lights on a timer switch. They come on at 1pm and go off at 9pm. That gives me enough time to get home from work and get the birds out, fed, cleaned and in. I put the blinds down around 8.30 and the lights are off at 9. It seems to work ok for me.

Regards,

Paul.

Hi

Im looking to try the Darkness System next year, but i have read a few systems and im finding it hard to fit it into my schedule. Basically i need to start work at 8am, but im not home to 5.45, can i still make the darkness system work.

Colum

Hi colum ,i like many others have to work a system that is convenient to our work schedules,

I darken my youngsters at eight.then with being of to work early in morning have to rely on

a friend who is a non fancier to open up the loft at twelve noon which he can guarantee being there each day to the minute ,i think the main point is the word system they must be on time .

Guest KING BILLY

Hi

Colum

dont take the shutters down till you are home frome work then you can let them out and clean them out ok i no its not grait to be letting them out late but you can get them into a roteen and lets you get in about them but mind pout the shutters up at night before you go to bed it works i have treyed it

Hi

Colum

Having flown darkness since 1994, at different locations and different systems (paired up, separated etc) I have come to the conclusion that you don't need to pair up until at least February 1st, then darken them for a period of 6-8 weeks, depending when your young bird race programme finishes, if its October give them 8 weeks darkness and most importantly you don't have to darken them for 16 hours a day. Mine are only darken for 13 hours a day. Also I prefer the loft to be as dark as possible, without obstructing your ventilation. ;) ;)

Last couple of years have stretched out the daylight hours they get to 9 1/2 hours a day without any detrimental effects. Have heard of some that give them 10 1/2 hours of daylight, if anyone on here can confirm this it could maybe give you a bit more scope.

Guest C Visser

Having flown darkness since 1994, at different locations and different systems (paired up, separated etc) I have come to the conclusion that you don't need to pair up until at least February 1st, then darken them for a period of 6-8 weeks, depending when your young bird race programme finishes, if its October give them 8 weeks darkness and most importantly you don't have to darken them for 16 hours a day. Mine are only darken for 13 hours a day. Also I prefer the loft to be as dark as possible, without obstructing your ventilation. ;) ;)

Hi

I think this mite work for me. Do you think that if i was to darken at 6pm and lighten at 6.45am, will the darkness system still work.

Thanks

• 3 years later...