The Spangles

retired

The creator of the Spangles was Oliver Dix of the County of Somerset in England. Originating from an old family of pigeons from that part of Britain. However in about 1895 Dix brought a blue chequer cock bird of Hansenne and Logan Bloodlines from J.D. Phillips of Pontyprid which turned out to be a fabulous breeder which produced mosaic or spangle coloured young. Thus the origin of the name.

J.W. Logan and J.W.Toft introduced the Spangles into their strains which contributed to the development of English long distance and marathon racers. From the start they were accomplished long and marathon flying athletes, for example, Hawley's Crafty flew from San Sebastian twice at 700 miles while Jack Hay of Freemantle was 1st and 2nd National at 900 miles. Yes for their founder and many others they flew well, winning much. In their evolution however they were taken over by Mr and Mrs Bert Bryant in 1944. Doing extra well for their new owners who acted as the source of the strain's permeation of British distance bloodstock. In truth the Spangles made the names of other fanciers well known such as Taffy Bowen, Vic Robinson, John Kirkpatrick to name but a few from the nations which reside on the island of Great Britain.

One of the great exponents of the strain was the late Mike Young, of Timsbury in England. The Mike Young Spangle family set up some remarkable achievements in the distance races. One of the most outstanding was 17th Open in the British Barcelona Club's National from Rome at the distance of 914 miles. Also with the British International Championship Club Young's Spangles were to the fore in the marathons flown under the auspices of that Club at distances between 558 and 721 miles. Indeed Mike Young may have brought the Spangles unto a new and higher level.

One of G.M.Young's best pigeons was the famous Channel Queen.This chequer hen in 1984 was 1st Dax (530 miles),1986 1st Perpignan (648 miles),1987 1st Pau (558 miles). 1987 2nd Perpignan (648 miles),and in 1988 3rd Perpignan and 3rd Pau.Excellent performances!

Admittedly this was one family or strain which until recently remained a mystery to me until I researched it. Now however in understanding its origins and successes I appreciate and acknowledge one of the greatest European marathon families in the history of the sport. And I dedicate this brief insight to the memory of Mike Young who ensured that a strain which had its origins in 1895 or thereabouts was brought successfully into the 21st Century. Long may it win! May I add that some of the best of Spangle bloodlines arrived in Ireland around the period of Mike Young's death (at his wish) where in the future as in the past they will win into the far reaches of Ireland's north west.

• 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...