Breaking Pigeons

Guest nikkimass35

Guest nikkimass35

Hi all im after some advice please, Has anyone got any ideas on how to break pigeons. My birds are currently at my mums in an old shed which wont be going with birds, The birds will be moving about quarter of a mile. Once i move birds should i leave old shed still standing or knock it down. Any ideas will be very helpful. Thanks for reading. Mass

i moved lofts in november,similar situation as yourself.i moved my racers to the new place and broke them good.my advise would be 1.pair them up 2.keep them a little hungry 3.keep them happy and you will get there good luck feel free to contact me with any questions :)

Guest nikkimass35

i moved lofts in november,similar situation as yourself.i moved my racers to the new place and broke them good.my advise would be 1.pair them up 2.keep them a little hungry 3.keep them happy and you will get there good luck feel free to contact me with any questions :)

Hi ya thanx for replying. How long did it take you to break them and did you take the other loft down.

other loft is still there,i dont let them in the old place.i put flags umbrellers anything on the old lofts to stop them landing and leave it like that all the time the guys on the allotments think im crazy :blink: it took me 6 times from letting them out to come straight back in some a bit longer :)

Hi ya thanx for replying. How long did it take you to break them and did you take the other loft down.

I would strip the old loft out when i moved the birds to the new loft, when they see the shed bare, no food no water not even a perch to siy on, nothing for them, they'll get the message its not home any more. First time you let them out they'll probably go straight back because its so near, but when they realise the situation they'll break easily. Hunger makes good kitchen, and it breaks doos, so keep them keen when you try them out, just don't expect Not to carry them a few times because you will, but then knock the old shed down. London to an Orange they'll break next day! ;)

I would strip the old loft out when i moved the birds to the new loft, when they see the shed bare, no food no water not even a perch to siy on, nothing for them, they'll get the message its not home any more. First time you let them out they'll probably go straight back because its so near, but when they realise the situation they'll break easily. Hunger makes good kitchen, and it breaks doos, so keep them keen when you try them out, just don't expect Not to carry them a few times because you will, but then knock the old shed down. London to an Orange they'll break next day! ;)

Done something similar back in 2002.The new loft was about a mile away, the majority realised pretty quickly they weren't gonna getting any joy in the way of nesting,eats,drinking etc. in a bare loft and broke fairly quickly. A couple of weeks down the line a few of the older ones were still being stubborn but after a night or two out got most of them to come round.

good luck :)

Guest gladdo

numbe rone id leave the shed there but keep it locked up so they cant get in your old loft mate. Get them on youngsters mate and i assure you they will go away maybe but they will find the young when they realise there old home not open.. there will be the odd one that wont break but i did 11 out of 12 mate recently !!!! hope this helps please keep us up to date how you go . .. make sure they are hungry also when letting them out i think !!!!

Mikey

Hi all im after some advice please, Has anyone got any ideas on how to break pigeons. My birds are currently at my mums in an old shed which wont be going with birds, The birds will be moving about quarter of a mile. Once i move birds should i leave old shed still standing or knock it down. Any ideas will be very helpful. Thanks for reading. Mass

in my opinion, the quicker you break them , the easier in the long run , i have did this b4 in a week or so, with a cage or aviary where they can see out, making sure they are confident in their new surroundings, i would leave the old shed in case i would need to uplift them first time out,, then knock it down,

i did this b4 myself , a bird flying dorchester for the previous owner, then 21 days later, the bird scored in the snfc sartilly for me, to my loft, i also shifted its box,its mate ,and its nest pan, along with its nesting material,, with the hen ready to lay,, put it in the exact place in my loft,[bottom left],, with a board in front of the box, after the hen laid , i moved the board further and further away from the nest box, both sat on these eggs, when the board was removed completely, the cock was able to see its new surroundings from the sputnick, i then let the bird out when the rest were taking a bath, the cock took a bath, sat for a while , then returned to the old loft, i brought the bird back the first time, i let the bird out the next day, the previous owner chased it, it was out overnight, then returned, this was all done within 8 days, it flew back and forth from the old loft [about 6 miles away] to mine twice every day , three days b4 basketting for sartilly [505 miles] i put a big y,b under it,took the hen away [this was its first yb of the season] alistair mcuddin released from his home at freuchie [30 miles north of me,,, the old owner , willie pentland [deceased] was south of me,,, the bird dropped to me, then went right on to its yb,, if i remember right, the bird was 102 open snfc sartilly

Guest paulrstokes

I have just done this keep them in for a week or 2 inh the new loft.

Let out when they are hungry, you may need to fetch back the first time, put them in the new loft and feed them,

a couple of days later do the same again, once again you may need to fetch them.

Do not fetch any more, the third time leave them out, they may spend the night out but next morning they will be waiting for you on the new loft roof.

take your birds and toss them from the new loft location a few times, when you move them keep them hungry for a couple of days a let them out, make sure the old loft is closed up, when they can't get in they will return to the new loft.

Back in '95 I moved loft and birds 3 miles on the Saturday, let the birds out at new location on the monday, sent to midweek on the Tues and took 3rd club on the Weds.

Only had to go back to old garden to try and catch 1 bird, missed it, ended up with a handfull of tail feather, went home to find the bird sat back in the loft!