Looking For Advice

hi guys im new to this racing pigeons but very keen ive started building my loft only a 10 x 6 because of the lack of room in the garden. im going to have two 5x6 sections i dont have a prob building the loft but its the inside that im puzzled by i dont know what i should have etc i would be very grateful if anyone can shed some light on this for me.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Pigeon Basics Geo , as said best to look at others lofts first to get an idea on how to go on ;) depending on how you wish to fly your birds will determine how many sections you want/ will need :)

Welcome to Pigeon Basics Geo , as said best to look at others lofts first to get an idea on how to go on ;) depending on how you wish to fly your birds will determine how many sections you want/ will need :)

Well ideally I want to race them I won't have a prob getting young ones to start with as I know a few people just now but I feel like I'm pestering them lol and most have them have 30 ft lofts and bigger so I can really compare my ten by six loft to there's if you had a ten by six how would you set it out mate any advice will be much appreciated

same again realy i like ybs to have a viewing cage and old birds same either a sputnik or a mini mesch cage so can fit a bath in and trap and release birds , i suppose consideration for which clocking system you intend to use but still workable with a sputnik :)

same again realy i like ybs to have a viewing cage and old birds same either a sputnik or a mini mesch cage so can fit a bath in and trap and release birds , i suppose consideration for which clocking system you intend to use but still workable with a sputnik :)

So I take you can just build your own viewing cage there seems so much to learn and take it

I used to fly pouters when I stayed in glasgow and it was far easier but less rewarding I suppose

Guest Owen

I think that some of the other posts have plenty of the right sort of information for you. However, I would like to stress three very important points.

Pigeons must have adequate ventilation. There must never be any hint of a smell in the loft, even in the morning after being shut up all night. It is worth you remembering that pigeons are creatures of the open air and their ancesters lived on cliffs mostly around the coast. Their lungs are not designed to cope with foul air and if they are subjected to stuffy conditions they will become ill.

Pigeons must have access to the sunshine. So it is important to face the loft towards the sun to create warmth and dryness in the loft. Besides, the sun provides health giving vitamins by interacting with the oil on their feathers.

Pigeons must have a dry loft. Any sign of dampness is very bad for pigeons and they will never be able to maintain health in a damp loft.

There are lots more things you should bear in mind but the above three things are vital.

A word about aquiring birds. There will be plenty of pigeons available to a new starter. And to be honest most of them will not be worth bothering with. Try to get your stock from a working loft that tests the birds all the time. And if you can get birds that are out of genuine winners, so much the better. Birds from non winners out of non winners are just not woth the effort. Some might give you the odd good bird but the odds are definately against you. Like breeds like at any level, whether it is healthy energetic birds or lazy so and sos that will eat you out of house and home and give you nothing back or birds that will give you the thrill of winning. Something that we all love.

I think that some of the other posts have plenty of the right sort of information for you. However, I would like to stress three very important points.

Pigeons must have adequate ventilation. There must never be any hint of a smell in the loft, even in the morning after being shut up all night. It is worth you remembering that pigeons are creatures of the open air and their ancesters lived on cliffs mostly around the coast. Their lungs are not designed to cope with foul air and if they are subjected to stuffy conditions they will become ill.

Pigeons must have access to the sunshine. So it is important to face the loft towards the sun to create warmth and dryness in the loft. Besides, the sun provides health giving vitamins by interacting with the oil on their feathers.

Pigeons must have a dry loft. Any sign of dampness is very bad for pigeons and they will never be able to maintain health in a damp loft.

There are lots more things you should bear in mind but the above three things are vital.

A word about aquiring birds. There will be plenty of pigeons available to a new starter. And to be honest most of them will not be worth bothering with. Try to get your stock from a working loft that tests the birds all the time. And if you can get birds that are out of genuine winners, so much the better. Birds from non winners out of non winners are just not woth the effort. Some might give you the odd good bird but the odds are definately against you. Like breeds like at any level, whether it is healthy energetic birds or lazy so and sos that will eat you out of house and home and give you nothing back or birds that will give you the thrill of winning. Something that we all love.

Thanks very much for the straight to the point much informal advice I will definetly put this in to practice I am getting my birds of a family member of my fiance who has bred many champions over the year so hopefully he will do me okay his name is jim cullen from uddingston if anyone knows him

hi cant get better than jim cullen pigeons he is one of the top men in our sport

pop round any time 320 glasgow road just along from the parkville if you see the doos out flying

although my lofts are not that special or my loft fittings we can have a blether

i know a good club looking for new members:D