Starting The Racing ..Advice Plz

Guest peter4pm

Guest peter4pm

Ok guys ...After keeping fancy pigeons for 28 years ive decided to give the racing a go as from next season ..just on a small scale mind you .

Apart from joining my local club ...what other things would i need ect ect ...advice welcome of any kind ..thank you ....Peter

Well Peter you will need a clock, whether it be a manual clock or an ETS system, all depends on which the club use.http://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif try and get in touch with a person near you who has been racing for some time, and spend a little time with them, and pick their brainshttp://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Good Luckhttp://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Guest peter4pm

Well Peter you will need a clock, whether it be a manual clock or an ETS system, all depends on which the club use. try and get in touch with a person near you who has been racing for some time, and spend a little time with them, and pick their brains

Good Luck

thats sounds like a plan cheers

id make contact with your local club ask sec if you can go down as a guest to watch basketing and meet with the members and ask sec to ask members to breed you a few birds ybs to start you off next year , im sure club members wil come up with a cheap clock to buy ;) might even be worth seeing if you can go into partnership with someone at new club and learn the ropes abit befotre going it alone :) i wish you all the best for 2011 :)

I agree with OldYellow, you should get involved with your local clubs as soon as possible. This way you can get to know the local fanciers so you can find out what kind of birds you need for the courses they fly locally (do you need strong, heavier birds or lighter, faster birds). See if you can get hold of your local race records for the courses your birds will be flying (the club secretary should be able to give them to you, or at least point you in the right direction).

When you have the results, sort them by liberation point (where the birds were released from) and direction of flight for both old birds and young birds (i.e. east to west, north to south etc.) then work out the average speed ranges of the top 10 birds in the races on each course over the years. If the average speed for a course is, say, over 1600 yards per minute then you know that for that course you will need to enter fast pigeons to win. If you see the winners have speeds of below about 1400 yards per minute then you know that the course is tougher and will require stronger birds to cope with the harsher weather or tougher land conditions.

Hope this is useful for you!

Ok guys ...After keeping fancy pigeons for 28 years ive decided to give the racing a go as from next season ..just on a small scale mind you .

Apart from joining my local club ...what other things would i need ect ect ...advice welcome of any kind ..thank you ....Peter

after keeping your fancy pigeons for this length of time, should put you in good stead to start the racing pigeons, first obvious things you would need after joining a club, are, apart from a clock and basket ,your loft possibly changed to suit racing pigeons ,,,, my advice would be to befriend a good local fancier, along with your club members, but a good genuine experienced fancier could act as a good mentor, also a good friend ,also, much info can be gotten from this forum regards anything to do with racing pigeons, best of luck to you, you have made the best first move,, simply by asking,, good luck