Wood Shavings & Sawdust

Speedy Ste

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

;D ;D ;D AYE BUT ME AND YOU ARE VOTING AGAINST BRUNO, THE FLOOR WHITE IS BETTER THAN THE LIME ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P :P

I'd be surprised if you can actually find out from the package what Floor White [parcblanc] actually is.  ;)

Have handled both agri-lime and floor white and like the stork can't tell the difference ... as far as I can tell they are both calcium carbonate [CaCo3] except the brand name sells at twice the price of the basic stuff.

Next bit I'm not too sure of, so will accept 'yer wrong' if I am: Lime isn't alkili, its acidic, and will kill micro-organisms by removing the water from them and their environment. Hence the 'dry out wet patches' bit. The bother isnt the wet patches, its the yobbos in it.

The other bit about lime is that it is used in industry to scrub noxious gases, and although I don't know if its CaHo2 [hot lime] thats used, lime is also used to line the big pits what dead birds ... dead from AI .. are buried in.

Well I've used sand for years and so has my dad and we've never had any problems with it. Just to clarify we scarp out twice a day and riddle the sand to remove the droppings.

As for lime it is alkaline which does not kill stuff like samellenoa bacteria so it does not wotk too good. Acid kills samellenoa hence the use of cider vinigar. If you have a shed that you scrape out with damp patches that you then sprinkle a bit of lime on then the bacteria will multiply easy. Proper floor white is different from lime.

Still life and pigeon racing is albout choices and there are many roads to rome.

You didn't say you riddled the sand.  :)   I riddle my deep litter once a week.

Guest TAMMY_1

I'd be surprised if you can actually find out from the package what Floor White [parcblanc] actually is.  ;)

Have handled both agri-lime and floor white and like the stork can't tell the difference ... as far as I can tell they are both calcium carbonate [CaCo3] except the brand name sells at twice the price of the basic stuff.

Next bit I'm not too sure of, so will accept 'yer wrong' if I am: Lime isn't alkili, its acidic, and will kill micro-organisms by removing the water from them and their environment. Hence the 'dry out wet patches' bit. The bother isnt the wet patches, its the yobbos in it.

The other bit about lime is that it is used in industry to scrub noxious gases, and although I don't know if its CaHo2 [hot lime] thats used, lime is also used to line the big pits what dead birds ... dead from AI .. are buried in.

:) :) :) I ALL RIGHT I DIDNAE MEAN YOU TO COME ON AND BAFFLE ME PROF :) :) :) :)

What have I kicked off here!!!!!  :D :D :D

A very good discussion!!  ;)

On woodshavings too.  :)

Holding  ;D all the senior pigeon positions  ;D in Central Scotland, [basketcleaner to the SNFC no less  ;D ] I'm usually up to my eyebrows in wood shavings, and frankly, I don't like them.

Stuff we get here is Bedmax, for horses. Supposed dust-free, at times I wonder what all these spots are before my eyes. And when I watch the birds milling around in the wicker basket, I can see the dust rising up out of it.

Clubmate reckoned wood shavings were treated, but the package says they are natural. Don't be misled by the 'pine disinfectant' smell - its pine wood chippings and pine is a common favourite for adding to household disinfectants.

Tried them for a few weeks this year on my deep litter as a 'scented topping' but now gone the other way, bought a 3/8" riddle about a month ago, and rake and riddle out the 'big stuff' once a week, leaving behind a fine powder, which I freshen up with stalosan or agri-lime month about. But as I discovered aspergillus growing on droppings in three or four different locations within the loft, I'm going to change the stalosan for Harkers, same sort of price for hopefully a better job.

I just want to know where I can buy a nice big cheap bag of wood shavings, to fill a 12x6 loft, and will last me a while!  The prices of the stuff in the pet shops etc, is day light robbery :o  you can only use it once.  They want over £3 for a small bag, big enough to fill a small rabbit hutch! one bag would only fill half, of a four foot section of my loft, so it would cost me about £18 a week to fill my loft!  There must be somewhere, you can buy a big bin bag full of the stuff, for at least a a couple of quid.

Well I've used sand for years and so has my dad and we've never had any problems with it. Just to clarify we scarp out twice a day and riddle the sand to remove the droppings.

As for lime it is alkaline which does not kill stuff like samellenoa bacteria so it does not wotk too good. Acid kills samellenoa hence the use of cider vinigar. If you have a shed that you scrape out with damp patches that you then sprinkle a bit of lime on then the bacteria will multiply easy. Proper floor white is different from lime.

Still life and pigeon racing is albout choices and there are many roads to rome.

Hi Paul. Just remembered why I didn't like sand.  ;D

Firstly, you are quite correct about lime being an alkali. I got that one wrong, after all acid eats through limestone. However, my point about the damp patch was correct, lime absorbs moisture and this drying-out action kills all microbes.

When I first put down a deep litter, it was sharp sand. Raked it over daily and binned the droppings. Noticed two things. Flies and damp sand. Sand didn't completely dry out the droppings, they lay like a damp mat on top of the sand, and there was always a damp patch in the sand where the droppings had been raked from.

And there was always flies about.  :(

Changed away from sand over 2 years ago, problems solved.