BLUE TONGUE

square_peg

PROBABLY NOTHING-BUT WHAT ELSE CAN THEY BEEN SEEN TO BE DOING,

GROUND HOG DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAJORPET

Well, only know what I picked up on Countryfile on TV the other week, and so far its continental Europe, and one species of midge found only there. Depending on wind direction and strength, these midges could be blown over here, with SE England the likely landfall.

On 'what else can they do' -  I think when you are dealing with flying insects the control zone concept doesn't work. Diseased animals are caused a lot of suffering too and for me its a job for vaccine - 'vaccination to live' that is.

Well, only know what I picked up on Countryfile on TV the other week, and so far its continental Europe, and one species of midge found only there. Depending on wind direction and strength, these midges could be blown over here, with SE England the likely landfall.

On 'what else can they do' -  I think when you are dealing with flying insects the control zone concept doesn't work. Diseased animals are caused a lot of suffering too and for me its a job for vaccine - 'vaccination to live' that is.

Guess you are behind with the news Bruno - its in Suffolk

Guess you are behind with the news Bruno - its in Suffolk

Didn't pick it up at all, and the TV programme a week or so ago was my  first info on this disease.

DEFRA website very low key, one cow, culled, virus strain is same as European outbreak one, but not a confirmed outbreak in UK?

Didn't pick it up at all, and the TV programme a week or so ago was my  first info on this disease.

DEFRA website very low key, one cow, culled, virus strain is same as European outbreak one, but not a confirmed outbreak in UK?

It was on the news last night - looked awful for the animals - amonst other things, joints affected - which just 'burst' open from the inside out over - it was rather graphic on TV showing this  :-/

Do you think with all the stuff that is fed to animals to improve the meat they have lost the natural immunity that they once had. You also read about the myriad of additives on the market for our pigeons you are spoilt for choice if that is the road you want to go down. The auld "Lum Dossers" are a hardy lot no nice cosy ventilated lofts for them they are at the mercy of the elements and hardy with it.

It was on the news last night - looked awful for the animals - amonst other things, joints affected - which just 'burst' open from the inside out over - it was rather graphic on TV showing this  :-/

Sounds as if they used same footage from Countryfile program, it featured gaping open joints and wounds.

There is no cure and honestly didn't see point of prolonging those animals' suffering. A definite vaccination job to prevent animal coming down with it.

Defra has confirmed that a third animal has tested positive for Bluetongue. This is on a premises near Lowestoft.

In the light of this, it has been agreed that it would not be appropriate to allow farm to farm movements in the area surrounding the premises from 3.30pm today. This area is Norfolk and Suffolk.

Essex is also considered to be at risk of Bluetongue, but as it is also in the Foot and Mouth Disease Risk Area, farm-to-farm movements would not be permitted in any case.

At this stage, there is not sufficient evidence to confirm an active outbreak of Bluetongue by the internationally-recognised definition. It cannot yet be demonstrated that the disease is circulating or alternatively is the result of a single incursion of infected midges from abroad.

Defra has also today received positive test results for Bluetongue for a fourth animal on a third premises near Ipswich, Suffolk. This animal will be culled.

At this stage, there is not sufficient evidence to confirm an active outbreak of Bluetongue as it cannot yet be demonstrated that the disease is circulating. Epidemiological investigations are on-going to establish whether bluetongue disease is circulating in the UK.

Action will be in line with the UK Bluetongue Control Strategy, published in August, but will also take account of the current FMD restrictions.

It remains essential for animal keepers to practice the highest standards of biosecurity, remain vigilant for disease and report any suspicions immediately. Livestock owners should examine their livestock twice a day.

bruno how is broon tongue an offensive remark  tell me

Perhaps it will be easier to let you explain? : why it is not, why you brought it into this thread in the first place and why the person you named as one felt the need to reply to that in the way that he did? [that post was also deleted]

Perhaps it will be easier to let you explain? : why it is not, why you brought it into this thread in the first place and why the person you named as one felt the need to reply to that in the way that he did? [that post was also deleted]

your the mod bruno and am not doin your job for you so please explain

your the mod bruno and am not doin your job for you so please explain

Read the Code of Conduct. You'll see from that that amongst the other things that you broke, that moderators don't require to explain any of their decisions. Atho some will thro common courtesy, it's not their job.

You're the one who seems to think what you posted was OK although it was totally irrelevant to the thread and meant as a jibe at another member, no doubt as yet another attempt to banterise the thread, which I stopped.

You might have thought your remark funny and I know as you well know it is both an offensive and derogatory term, and maybe it is a part of your daily language, but it isn't the type of language used on this forum, and its the Code of Conduct that decides appropriate language, not you.

Defra has today confirmed that Bluetongue disease is circulating in East Anglia. This follows further epidemiological investigations including surveillance into the five cases identified so far in Suffolk, which has led to the conclusion  that the virus is circulating between the local animal and midge population.

In line with the UK Bluetongue Control Strategy and European law, a 20km Control Zone is being put in place around the area in East Anglia where cases have been identified to date. Ruminant animals will be able to move within the Bluetongue Control Zone, but not out of it, except to slaughter in the Bluetongue Protection Zone.

In addition, a 150km Bluetongue Protection Zone covering parts of the counties from Lincolnshire to Sussex will be put in place. Ruminant animals will be able to move within the Bluetongue Protection Zone but not out of it.

These Bluetongue zones will replace the Bluetongue Temporary Control Area set up on 25 September.

Foot and Mouth Disease controls remain firmly in place on all Foot and Mouth Disease susceptible animals, including pigs, in the Foot and Mouth Disease Low Risk and Risk Areas.

In some areas, movements of susceptible animals will be subject to both Bluetongue controls and Foot and Mouth Disease controls. Farmers must check that all licence conditions are complied with before making arrangements to move animals.