Hello and help needed please

Guest richyzf

Guest richyzf

HI i recently bought 6 white homing pigeons (8 weeks ago) from a chap and within 1 week 2 fell ill and died, rang the chap who told me they had like a heat attack and i believed him as i'm new to keeping pigeons although not birds, anyway 2 of the remaining paired up and laid 1 egg and have been sitting for 10 days, whent in this morning to find her fluffed up on the floor and the agg cold, to say i'm gutted is an understatement any ideas what it could be untill i take some samples to the vets tomorrow, thinking maybe canker as one of the 2 that died had symptoms of this (yellow spots in the mouth, smelly breath, yellow discharge) but was too stupid/ uneducated to know what i was looking for. anyway any help appreciated and feel free to gun me down.......

Rich

i take it these were new old birds rather than young birds ? id be looking for guy to replace them as obviously ill , however your more likely to get same ailing birds im afraid , pm sent top right hand side of page Welcome To Pigeon Basics :)

Guest strapper
HI i recently bought 6 white homing pigeons (8 weeks ago) from a chap and within 1 week 2 fell ill and died, rang the chap who told me they had like a heat attack and i believed him as i'm new to keeping pigeons although not birds, anyway 2 of the remaining paired up and laid 1 egg and have been sitting for 10 days, whent in this morning to find her fluffed up on the floor and the agg cold, to say i'm gutted is an understatement any ideas what it could be untill i take some samples to the vets tomorrow, thinking maybe canker as one of the 2 that died had symptoms of this (yellow spots in the mouth, smelly breath, yellow discharge) but was too stupid/ uneducated to know what i was looking for. anyway any help appreciated and feel free to gun me down.......

Rich

if these birds have canker and are dying from it then they would be very deeply infected indeed!!

it is well known that if birds with a high canker infection are moved to a new home then there will be an increased chance of a greater level of infection which could kill these birds.

the canker goes through the roof and gets to a dangerous level for the birds.

but...there is so many other matter that could be wrong.

keep us all informed the outcome of the results from the vet.

i advise anyone who has birds dying to get to a responsible bird vet asap.

Vets are costly and you shouldn't be faced with bills for new introductions. If you brought these birds into an empty loft, and no other birds have been in it, then I'd say they were infected when you got them. I would be returning the surviving 3 to the seller and looking for my money back. As others have posted, don't take replacements, the seller is not trustworthy, and the stock is suspect.

Don't know where you are but the vets around Lanarkshire know nothing about doos, they'll still take your cash though! Get a hold of a local fancier with experience before you spend money on the vets best guess, the fancier WILL help and probably knows more about the birds than the vet.

Firstly you need to find out what is wrong with the birds,you could do with a local fanciers help in this if possible,don't waste time at a vets unless they are genuinely familiar with pigeons.Secondly you need to decide if you want to keep the birds or take them back but either way you want your money back,you are 5 birds down and the whole escapade is costing you time,money and not to mention distress.Whatever you decide the loft will need thoroughly disinfecting with something like virkon s or blow torching and dont even think about getting any new birds in until you are totally clear of this infection,good luck.

excuse me for asking did you get these pigeons on birdtrader as theres always ads for white racers on there? and iam thinking thay could be from the feather merchant who had a stall in blackpool selling white racers among others . lc

they were from bird trader i asked him  :X :X :X :X

I thought you might like to know that there are quite a lot of diseases that can be passed from small birds or wild birds to pigeons. What we all refer to as Canker is just one. You say that you have or had small birds, so I thought you ought to know. Also, domestic poultry are no friends of pigeons because of the disease risks.

If you buy from Bird Traders or the like, you are always taking a chance. If you decide to start again, it would be good to make sure that your birds are disease free and that the premises are properly clean.

Guest vander mungo
Don't know where you are but the vets around Lanarkshire know nothing about doos, they'll still take your cash though! Get a hold of a local fancier with experience before you spend money on the vets best guess, the fancier WILL help and probably knows more about the birds than the vet.

we have a good pigeon vet working out the MAFF at ayr his nane is TOM.PENNICOTT great with pigeons ,next door to your shire