birds of prey

jimmy white

Guest chrisss
sorry to hear you are unhappy chrisss i think it is good they have taken the trouble to join our site maybe we may learn something from these guys

parabuteo what is your thoughts on wild eagle owl's should they be captured and not be allowed there freedom in the uk?

never posted that chum in your excitement to defend "these guys" you put the wrong name down ::) ::) ::)

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how are you supposed to train racing pigeons in "enclosures"?

Do you seriously think none of these methods have been tried ie plastic owls,kites etc?,you know damn well they don't work for more than a week tops!

And why on earth a raptor enthusiast would want to join a pigeon forum is beyond me unless their intention was to antagonise people

Have you nothing better to do?

Sure no one on here is remotely interested in you and your murdering pets

Back to the blinkered single mindedness again ::)

Do you swim in the sea..........................................or are you afraid of sharks?

Our birds aren't pets, they are working birds; they either do what nature intended and are conditioned to hunt specific quarry or they are used to educate the public in flying displays.

The problem with the plastic owls etc. is most people don't know how to incorporate there use properly. They need to be moved regularly, every few hours to be effective. If you've read the posts you'll know why falconers have joined, and that was because of the things that have been posted and now deleted. As for no one being interested in my 'murderous pets', I've received a number of pm's asking about them ;D

I'm not rising to get into a slagging match with you as it will not be productive to anyone except make you feel better.

Guest chrisss

no worries mate i don't have hawks local to my area [yet] it must be a total nightmare to have your birds MURDERED every time you let them out

If you look at P7 on this link, you will see something similar and in suppoert of controlled culls or trapping.

Also on P18 or there abouts, there is something on predator control.

The chap who wrote this keeps tumbiling doves and many other exotic game species and is under attack from wild spars.

http://www.sacs.org.uk/Sacs/Current%20Magazine.pdf

And how are you supposed to train racing pigeons in "enclosures"?

Do you seriously think none of these methods have been tried ie plastic owls,kites etc?,you know damn well they don't work for more than a week tops!

And why on earth a raptor enthusiast would want to join a pigeon forum is beyond me unless their intention was to antagonise people

Oh dear............ murdering pets?........... explain that statement? ..if you can

Read the thread properly........no one is trying to cause trouble just disccusing your problems with raptors.......

You could get kites of raptors which attach to poles and only need very little breeze. They are of various raptors and look quite realistic. your birds may in the begining be a litle spooked.

One of our younger members in the USA does this, she flies kites attached to her barn wjhile her birds are out. It seems to work.

Failing that, can you not build enclosures that are fully enclosed?

If I read you correctly, you are suggesting that racing pigeons shouldn't be allowed to fly free? One of our Scottish RSPB 'friends' has the same view, he seems to think pigeons are a domesticated animal that lives with us inside our houses, that they are glorified house pets like budgies in a cage, and that we as owners have no right to complain if we 'release' them into the wild and they are then attacked by 'wild' animals.

Surely your own hobby birds have exactly the same level of domicility as our pigeons? Both have been given a safe place to live in our domain, but the sky is their real home. They are birds, they are designed to fly, they have a homing instinct, and they will roam the skies but will still return to their home, even when given the option of staying in the wild?

Neither domesticated hawk or pigeon has lost any of their wild instincts. They both have the right to fly free. Denying any bird that right is cruel, and so suggesting they don't have that right, and that they should be confined is crass. If you agree with that, then it follows that you must also agree that we both have the right to fly our birds, that it is right & proper to do so, without prejudice, therefore it is the people who say we shouldn't,  and say we should expect our birds to be attacked who are prejudice and elitist, giving one group of birds an artificial ranking and worthy of protection, to the detriment of other groups of birds which are ranked  worthless and in our case anyway, a free and rightful food source for the other.

All birds have a rightful place in the wide scheme of things.  

Quoted from chrissy

Well any educated person would wonder, have you something to hide, by asking if we have nothing better to do, by joining on here.

May i presume that you are of a closed mindset and not wishing to better your established sport?

On a personal level, i don't have a murdering pet or pets.  The birds catch their quarry/prey and I DO THE DISPATCHING, Quickly and humainly.

That is like me talking about you frounce & flea ridden rats of the sky.......See easy to lower one's self to your level of drivel!

Now try and have a first world educated discussion or are you one of the group, who does not wish to help your sport.

sorry to hear you are unhappy chrisss i think it is good they have taken the trouble to join our site maybe we may learn something from these guys

parabuteo what is your thoughts on wild eagle owl's should they be captured and not be allowed there freedom in the uk?

Many have tried to recapture these owls but failed.....it isn't that easy....they have acute hearing as well as sight and cannot be crept on and not easily trapped........

Guest chrisss

Back to the blinkered single mindedness again ::)

Do you swim in the sea..........................................or are you afraid of sharks?

Our birds aren't pets, they are working birds; they either do what nature intended and are conditioned to hunt specific quarry or they are used to educate the public in flying displays.

The problem with the plastic owls etc. is most people don't know how to incorporate there use properly. They need to be moved regularly, every few hours to be effective. If you've read the posts you'll know why falconers have joined, and that was because of the things that have been posted and now deleted. As for no one being interested in my 'murderous pets', I've received a number of pm's asking about them ;D

I'm not rising to get into a slagging match with you as it will not be productive to anyone except make you feel better.

you say that "falconers have joined"because of things that have been posted can you please confirm that NO PIGEON FANCIER HAS NEVER BEEN CHARGED NEVER MIND CONVICTED OF KILLING ONE OF YOUR PETS [on a personal note i would rather have a pet klingon that a hawk but no accounting for taste :D :D :D

i don't think anyone has a problem with your hobby falconry

but we need help to save our hobby from the over populated wild birds of prey is that wrong to try different things to to try and ward off attacks

Bart, we are trying to tell you guys that we have similar issue's.  Ok, the numbers are not the same, but the cause is and this lies at the feet of the organisations who supply the government agencies with the figures.

These are the groups that we all need to target.

It is sad that the wrong end of the stick has been taken. We as pigeon fanciers and falconers are not the ones against one another, indeed read behind the snipes and many points we agree on.

We are more and more frequently falling victim to hawk and peregrine attacks, on the road and in their back gardens. This does bring anger and outrage, as would be expected if your prize pigeon had just been killed by one of these ariel predators.

However this need not be confused with frustration towards falconers; to whom our anger is not aimed, but may become entangled in the middle.

We are at a loss to why legislation protects these birds after such a successful breed and release programme, if only anecdotally has increase the numbers to the greatest in living memory.

I reiterate, it is the increase in numbers and frequency of attacks from wild raptors that is infuriating us fanciers. The seemingly continuous snippets from the RSPB and other groups who have been seen to be proactively supporting these raptors in finding new nesting sites, sites in which may not be in their usual habitat.

It is neither unfair that pigeon fanciers or falconers are defending their livelihoods, hobby and passion with such vengeance.

I have locked this topic.