Darkness problem

my 10 weeks is up on wed this week but the last few days iam starting to see alot of small feathers again does this mean they are starting a body molt again ? should i take them off now or leave them on longer?

and will this start them on a full wing moult?

i think they will still be moulting their first moult, no need for the ten weeks  ;D best put on normal daylight hours on the longest day ,usually the middle of June approx,  this way you catch the bigger races nearing the end of the yb racing [i,e, going to the national on their second or third flight] with full body feathering  :)   against the baldy ones,  with no tails and on there 3d last flight ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the ans. its not down feathers its small body feathers ive done the darkness for three years and this is the first time this has happened got me worried they will go ito a full moult and fall apart

i was told 10 weeks by a few fanciers that race darkness very well sapper and its allways worked never had this before

Whatever you choose to do, good luck, mine are a bit like burst pillows at the moment, but will look the part once they get through it ;) club members comment on my darkness youngsters ;)

yes aggree sapper mine are looking like yearlings as they should be after 10 weeks but with this never happening before iam at a lose as to stop the darkness or extend it just wondered if any one else has seen it

Guest milkyal

It has to be the 21st june mate, i am having similar problems but not too concerned. Unless you feeding a lot of small seed and corn?

Thanks for the ans. its not down feathers its small body feathers ive done the darkness for three years and this is the first time this has happened got me worried they will go ito a full moult and fall apart

can understand your worry frank, but i just cant see them having their second moult without casting flights , i know youll get the odd one cast a flight , but im sure they wouldnt second moult untill theve moulted about 4 flights ,,,,,,,are all the yb,s roughly the same age?  maybe any later yb,s in with them, that could be casting these body feathers

thanks very much for the advice ive spoken to a few fanciers that do quite well with the system and they tell me its nothing to worry about i dont think i made myself ckear this will be the second time they through body feathers thats why i was thinking they might go into a full moult but the advice about the middle of june i will take on board learning something new every day never to old  thanks again

Frank, I must agree with 3rd week in June Scenario.   Incidentally when did you pair up? If it was  early December, Why bother with the darkening?

Frank ,have the birds had daylight (thru open door or in avairy)whilst off the darkness ? mine are in a similar state to yours and i have darkened succesfully (and flown) in the past ,but this year due to a move mine have not had outside time or natural daylight ?       regards andy