Young birds training

chubs

Guest wattle

about four months of age i start training my youngsters and i bring them out to the garden in the basket for the first three releases, then i bring them about 500 yards from the house and release them twice from there and then about five miles twice, then ten miles twice and so on.

I TAKE THEM TO CARNWATH FOR THEIR 1ST TOSS WHICH IS ABOUT 17MLS FROM MY LOFT COUPLE OF TIMES THERE AND THEN KEEP THEM GOING TILL THEY HIT 35 MLS.ONCE RACING STARTS THEY GO EITHER 13MLS OR 17 MLS AND NOT ANY FURTHER AGAIN BUT THEY GO PLENTY OF TIMES ;)

Guest Paulo

Wait until they are raking well and have plenty of experience then go:-

2x three miles (just to get them used to coming out the basket)

5 or 6 at 6/7 miles

Then a few at 12 miles

Then 25 miles for the rest of the season.

As a rule I normally take them to the same point until they are beating me back from there easy before I advance them.

When they have a little experince start chucking them in sixes and then threes to teach them how to home.

b4 any training [tossing] make sure their fully basket trained , i consider , very important ,, when the yb,s are ranging their ready to train,,,,,but remember when you start training them,, they stop flying round the loft as much, and will stop ranging :) if theve been ranging well and basket trained well , they should be ok at roughly about 15 miles to begin with :)

surely as most young bird (and shorter) old bird races are won by seconds, time permitting , it would be sensible to give(after basket training) initial young bird training as many times as possible from say 2 to three miles on a direct line , then 5, 10, etc, before moving them on to a good breaking point ?

• 4 weeks later...

hi... val here from Philippines... Base on experienced.. I think you need to see your YBs ranging for almost an hour or more everyday during loft fly. If you noticed that they don't range like it was before. That's your clue to train them? It show's that they already memorized your place.:D

As for training youngsters,my own opinion is thats a descriptive misnomer,if youngsters are being done correctly/fed/health they are ranging/flying for often over an hour,which would equate to approx 30/40 miles each excercise, they have a natural fitness to begin with ,after this its an education process in my case,10 miles N/S/E/W/ then about 20 mls from a "safe" spot on their line of flight,late evenings,at least five times per week,always late evenings for many reasons.

Round the clock training I guess would be all points of the compass. I like to train 10 mile online for one week before the first race then anything goes. Where that truck goes the birds go too. My birds get well tested but, I keep wanting to go 20 mile first toss. May be this year.

I very rarely loose them Tractorboy but, I take it very slowly - as soon as they stop squeaking, when I handle them, I take them 1/4 mile then 1/2, then 1, then 5 then 15 in each direction after that I jump them out to 30. If the birds always fly south then, I suppose that the first time you release them from a different direction, they'll strike south and it will take them a while to orientate themselves. Mine have a surprise every time I let them go and they are used to it!  ;D