young bird losses down to feed

Guest karl adams

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking to an old mate of mine recently, and although he doesn't race these days, he commented on the lack of "pigeon racing flocks"  that that were  the norm in the earlier days. Some weeks we would know where pigeons were heading. We could honestly say, There go the Fed birds, or even Southport birds, most weeks. Ours always were liberated a bit later than theirs, and if you got one , in the lull before the storm. you were on a winner. Then they would pass in droves! with our own birds ( the also rans) dropping out of the  passing flocks. These days, we dont see the flocks passing over here, only the odd idividual racer. What has happened? Are the birds using the eastern motorways to their advantage?  Strange but true. Vic.  

Remember well loads of twaddle spouted in many scenarios about feed. like 'Ah if you race .... then you must only feed .... and heavy' etc.

A pigeon is a pigeon! If it wants home it will come home! If contented at home that is, mind Cod Liver oil on jellied eels might be a bit off putting lol.

Of course not mucker. They return from many races hungry... not many pop off to 'Trafalger Square' for a quick snack ;):P ;D

So simplely put, off course not!

Guest spin cycle

to be honest i think if it were just 1 problem it would be sorted by now. from what little i've seen i think to many birds come out of the basket ( training or racing) with little or perhaps no knowledge of where 'home' is due to a lack of roaming  experience. then the other problems kick in clashing/ dehyration etc. i also don't believe feeding is a cause. just my opinion  

would you say  young bird losses could be put down to the way we  feed them

although most have dismissed this - it rather depends on how, what - and how much you feed them - before this is dismissed

I was quite disgusted when I went to a moot - to find a 'top' flier only gave 60 youngsters 50 ounces of feed

although most have dismissed this - it rather depends on how, what - and how much you feed them - before this is dismissed

I was quite disgusted when I went to a moot - to find a 'top' flier only gave 60 youngsters 50 ounces of feed

On Thursday before Friday marking maybe! lol.

Perhaps you could say that the way we feed is a reason why we dont seem to get pigeons sitting on the loft the day after a bad race the way we used to but I think not. I think the pigeons we race today are powder puffs, in search of speed the pigeons constitution seems to have suffered. They just dont seem to have it in them to get up the following day like they used to.

I think this is just a case of people looking for more excuses!

It's easy to blame everything but themselves and if they take a look at there own methods, hygene, amount of training etc then they may find more reasons for losses!

Phil

I think this is just a case of people looking for more excuses!

It's easy to blame everything but themselves and if they take a look at there own methods, hygene, amount of training etc then they may find more reasons for losses!

Phil

I don't need to look for excuses! i started training 34 ybs and have 31 ready to send to the first race, and ten of these were squeaking on their first chuck, 10 days ago.  I must admit I have had losses, but still have 24 darkies upfront.I must also admit, they ain't been further than Hale shore, about 10 mile by car.  

Many things, but i still say that lack of water the biggest problem. Lot of fanciers won't feed them on a friday, so unlikely to take too much water then in a basket til Saturday morning or later then expected to fly a few hours! Stressed, no bloody wonder!!! Decent birds that know where the trough is on the basket will get thru the season unless they other bad luck.

As regarding drinking training, all birds and animals will find water IF it's there, when thirsty. Basket water training is bunkum as far as I am concerned.

Guest Freebird

The thing is your dealing with a living thing and we all know us humans are all different so too the doo. If the birds are in good health, fit and well educated i.e. have been doon the road at various stages then the only thing against them is weather and I don't just mean at liberation but all weather from A to B ( shap fell ). Of course the last time I raced a bird was in the early seventy's when we didnae pamper them! Just a thought but we still had our share of losses which were all put down to weather so I may be wrong (not the first time). I always gave my birds a light feed / water prior to basketing.

As regarding drinking training, all birds and animals will find water IF it's there, when thirsty. Basket water training is bunkum as far as I am concerned.

So when a stray YB (or any stray) enters your loft what is the first thing it usually does? Have to say that the last sentence is the worse quote i have seen on any pigeon forum.

would you say  young bird losses could be put down to the way we  feed them

no,,,as we all feed differently ,,, there is no doubt about it , the modern day yb   definately lacks the constitution of many years ago,, probably due to many things in this modern age , one is, years of mollycoddling and treating for this,  that, and the next thing .the  over use of anti-biotics through the years [the real avian vets will tell you this ] breeding quantity rather than quality is another reason ,,,,, but this is the modern day  age , we cant adjust that, mores the pity  :)

i can never understand why people push ybs so hard.  they are only babies its the future you want them for not one season yb racing.

Yep true :o, when others send 2/3 weeks on the trot y/b's 400 miles and over, I've scored with 12 week old youngsters from nearly 500 miles... Think it is time to get down to brass roots and reality again.

Natural, contented, and not bred from incestualmatings would be a great few steps forward!

YEP why one says I have to breed a 200 to couter - balance my losses' :-/

What when 20 was a big team f youngsters, and 3/4 year olds were having to make way for them as they wanted their' yearling perches. use to say 'Don't add perches ... make them make their mark and earn it'!

How very true! So let's forget the silly myths  that are 'Lame crutches' for bad managerment. Let's forget about 'Know all' braggngs rights and his tall stories' Rather note him up the corner say nowt!

Birds want home, they come home. Let them make the decision and stick to YOUR managerment system. Yes one loses some, less each year till one has contented birds that like the managerment and the system.

Yep true :o, when others send 2/3 weeks on the trot y/b's 400 miles and over, I've scored with 12 week old youngsters from nearly 500 miles... Think it is time to get down to brass roots and reality again.

Natural, contented, and not bred from incestualmatings would be a great few steps forward!

YEP why one says I have to breed a 200 to couter - balance my losses' :-/

What when 20 was a big team f youngsters, and 3/4 year olds were having to make way for them as they wanted their' yearling perches. use to say 'Don't add perches ... make them make their mark and earn it'!

How very true! So let's forget the silly myths  that are 'Lame crutches' for bad managerment. Let's forget about 'Know all' braggngs rights and his tall stories' Rather note him up the corner say nowt!

Birds want home, they come home. Let them make the decision and stick to YOUR managerment system. Yes one loses some, less each year till one has contented birds that like the managerment and the system.

agreed

I think we will never know the reason for the losses ,other wise some bright spark would have found it by now ,so get used to it how ever many you breed.ATB les.

Guest karl adams

the reason i asked this is i reared 2 rounds of young birds 46 in all but with in 6 weeks i lost 35  i was told to feed them 1oz of food  per bird a day which i was doing after loosing so many i changed the way i feed them and put my 3rd round of young birds with them and started to feed them 1 oz of corn per 4 bird  first thing in the morning an hour later all are sent training birds come back 4 hours later all trap well to a bit of light feed in tray 3 hours later they get a main feed as much as they want for 1 hour then freshwater then locked up till next day      and Ive not lost a bird scenes doing so