Young Bird Returns

mealybar

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a scottish strag in last night and I fly at Teesside, it has a phone number on it, so i will report it tonight, there was another scottish land with it, but it left after a few mins. The pigeon has no excuse for being lost as it it is fine fetal. The big problem with strays is if peaple dont stamp them, in my eyes they havent made the effort so why should I, so i will only report stamped birds and just take unstamped birds training with mine and let em go. There does seem to be a lot more stamped this year as ive reported and got ten strags home in the fortnight.

I think that it would be possible to have a system where every fed could put in there racepoint time of release, wind speed/direction then the computer could work out thte predicted velocity and eta at certain points then other feds would be able to look at this and decided when to lib, and when the best time to avoid clashing would be, if you get what i mean.

Looks like quite a few of the Scots birds came the wrong way if me and sbelbin have got them in on Teeside, same area, same time.

Thats an idea I've been toying with for a while gez, not in the way you use it (which would be much better!) but to give us some idea when the birds will be home. I think however there are just too many variables; and what about, the winners will be over at a certain time, but thats not counting the many flocks of straglers that follow the convoy up the road sometimes a couple of hours behind!

Guest shadow

I personally report all stray young birds stamped or not they deserve a second chance.  Takinging them training or putting them up to find their own way home does not help most wiil just find some one else to feed and water them. If reported you have done your best by the bird it is then up to the owner to sort out . Up to now all Y/B's reported this year have been claimed (12). Enjoy your pigeons. :) :)

Shadow, for the sake of £15 or so pound for a stamp, every bird should be stamped, I have reported two this year that wernt to there club secretaries and had nowt but hassle. At least when there stamped you can just ring up the owner and decide what to do with them. The training and losses reply, I am only going by what I have observed in my club with a few members, it just seems the ones who have trained hard have had the best returns.

Yes thats exactly my point, if there stamped it shows they want them, and if there not the owners generally are not that bothered if they get em back or not. I love reporting them as you can have a good pigeon chat with another pigeon fancier and discuss how there season is going.

Well with these heavy loses I know I would sure like to get them back, even if it means I have to drive a ways to get them. It may also lend a clue to why if we knew where they were ending up. We don't wing stamp here in the US but I think I might start. Is it just one of those return address stamps? Do you use special ink?

Carol

IN ENGLAND YOU CAN GET STAMPS MADE FOR THE INDIVIDUAL FANCIER AND YOU CAN PUT ON IT WHAT YOU WANT, JUST YOUR PHONE NUMBER IS ALL THAT IS NEEDED AND YOU GENERALLY GET SUPPLIED WITH A WATERPROOF INK PAD

WINGS 04,IS IT A RULE IN SCOTLAND THAT YOU SHOULD WING STAMP OR NOT IF IT IS NOT IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA NOT TO SAY ANYTHING OR IF YOU ARE TALKING TO SOMEONE WHO HASNT WING STAMPED EXPLAIN TO THEM WHAT A GOOD THING IT IS TO DO THATS IF THEY ARE INTERESTED IN HAVING ANY BIRDS BACK THAT DO GO ASTRAY.

Guest Doostalker
WINGS 04,IS IT A RULE IN SCOTLAND THAT YOU SHOULD WING STAMP OR NOT IF IT IS NOT IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA NOT TO SAY ANYTHING OR IF YOU ARE TALKING TO SOMEONE WHO HASNT WING STAMPED EXPLAIN TO THEM WHAT A GOOD THING IT IS TO DO THATS IF THEY ARE INTERESTED IN HAVING ANY BIRDS BACK THAT DO GO ASTRAY.

Pigeon Man, wing stamping is compulsory in Scotland too. It was made so about 3-4 years ago.

Guest speckled

Totally agree with you Rose,rule are there for a guide line if broken,there down on ya like a ton of bricks .  As i said on the other forum , our club, members check the win.on basketing night,as thay are put thought the ringer,if thay are not wind stamped,then we stamp if with a club stamp,but,i had a youngster reported last thursday.In my local area. To my surprise.Children found it dead in the road.& knowing this Gentelman kept pigeons,thay thought it was his,he opened the wing & rang me staight away.poor bird,was only training.But yes its sad that people dont stick to the rules,if there prepared to send them, Then Stamp them.At least some ID of where thay live.I liberated 7 youngsters today,+ i old bird ,YES i did report them as thay where stamped or ID,to the owner. So i just hope that thay made it home.Without the ID thay would still be in me loft,wait for the owner to contact me.(2 wks)Speckled.

WHAT SORT OF RACING DID THE MID-WEEKERS GET ??

I THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO TRY AND RACE THE YOUNG BIRD PROGRAM MID WEEK, I KNOW THIS PROPOSAL WOULD PROBABLY BE SHOT DOWN AT ANY MEETING BUT WHY NOT TRY IT ?

AT THE END OF THE DAY WE ARE ONLY TRYING TO EDUCATE OUR YOUNGSTERS FOR THE FUTURE.

WITHOUT THEM WE HAVE NO FUTURE.

would i be right in saying that shu allow ybs to have address rings on, iknow that it used to be the case, if it is still ,so why on earth are fanciers  not phoning up???  and why dont .the fanciers put address rings on.there seems to be thousands of ybs lost all over, with address rings on they could be back in their loft within a day or two, just asking?

The last two weeks has seen a total of 14 young birds land at my lofts this is higher than in previous years,most were lanarkshire doos and were let loose at lanark market on Tuesday first week and Wednesday second week,i have had two return to my loft to- day and will now phone the Fed Secretary to try and get them home quicker than the stray basket.i did not take ring numbers so if you have pigeons that worked in Tue/Wed they may have been let up by myself.i have this season lost 12 y/b and have had three work in from previous races,so dont give up on them making it back on there own or a little help,none reported that are still missing,wing stamp has not helped me.