tips for roundabout

speedbird

hi im trying roundabout this year as i have too many good hens to race & would try them on widowhood but dont have the room to race seperate & dont want too many birds sat at home doing nothing raced just 8lasy on widowhood with decent results but roundabout is very new to me any ideas???

Guest shadow

You said you do not have much room at the moment, to fly rounabout will not take up any more room up than flying  widowhood. The way I fly roundabout the cocks are kept in the section complete wih nest boxs the hens are in the next section on V perches. the hens exercise first from their own section. the cocks are let through into the hens section. the hens trap back to the cocks section. then the cocks go out. the hens are then let back into their own section and fed a few titbits. Exercise complete the cocks trap back to their own section . On race days all birds trap back to the cocks section. But beware if you send a cock and hen which are paired together to the same race if they arrive back together you will hsve a hard time trying to clock them. If they are not paired together they will trap as fast as widohood cocks, the hen totally ignores the cock.So that they can not hear each other while in the loft I have a radio playing all day.Hope this helps. :)

fly hard fly fair ;) ;)

hi speedbird, i think that was exellent advice from shadow on his system and should suit you,, about the radio, i used to have this on all day as well, and found this relaxed the birds, but not the neighbours, but i just had it on quietly, but it really did seem to relax them, wish you luck with the latebreds

Guest shadow

Speedbird you work the system to suit your own set but keep it simple. Because most of my older birds have been on the system they know what is going on. Pair your birds up when you like I let my race team rear one young bird only,  then when sitting the second round 4-5 days take the hens and eggs away. first training toss take the cocks only and leave hens in one half of nest box. after the cocks have been home 15 mins put them in the hens section. basket the hens ready for training.  Put the cocks back in their own boxs locked up then take the hens training after they have been back 15 mins let them back into own section and give a light feed the cocks having been fed in their boxs while waiting for the hens. I only do this until Isee that the have learnt what is required of them. But when racing on roundabout they only see each other after the race. :)

fly hard fly fair ;)