DURAMITEX

Guest TAMMY_1

Guest TAMMY_1

Was looking through Harkers products and came across this .

Now the bad news. The final batch of Duramitex has now been manufactured and there won’t be any more. It is sad as Duramitex was one of the first products Harkers introduced ( Hormoform being the first) and this was around 1960. It is a product that has been very popular for the treatment of red mite in aviaries as well as pigeon lofts. The reason for its demise is that Malathion which is the active ingredient is being banned by the PSD. This will not effect the fancier immediately as there will be plenty of stock in the supply chain, but this is the last batch that will be made.

Well I did comment on Malathion a few years back, still in use by pigeon men 40 years after most organophosphates? were banned. And seems the insect has become resistant to it anyway.

Would Unger??? Frei be a substitute for Dramitex, Tammy?  First and last time I saw it and asked what it was, the fancier said it was for Red Mite.  What's the active ingredient and any warnings on side effects?

Guest TAMMY_1
Well I did comment on Malathion a few years back, still in use by pigeon men 40 years after most organophosphates? were banned. And seems the insect has become resistant to it anyway.

Would Unger??? Frei be a substitute for Dramitex, Tammy?  First and last time I saw it and asked what it was, the fancier said it was for Red Mite.  What's the active ingredient and any warnings on side effects?

Ungerzeifer Frei,  is made by Van Hee, use to kill everything that moves in the loft, have used this for a good few years now and not had a p[roblem with any kind of insect or lice , you have to follow instructions very carefully as it will kill anything, dunno about active ingredient as bottle is in the shed

Ungerzeifer Frei,  is made by Van Hee, use to kill everything that moves in the loft, have used this for a good few years now and not had a p[roblem with any kind of insect or lice , you have to follow instructions very carefully as it will kill anything, dunno about active ingredient as bottle is in the shed

I am definately going to try this product next year to deter insects in the loft.I have no problems with lice as I ivomec the birds but I do get moths,tried the duramitex and personally found it had no effect on moths at all.

Think that may be the product my cousin Matt and Jim Cameron were telling me about way back - put a few drops on the perch etc - Jim claimed he lost a few days old youngsters in the nest because of it. Think you are right, need to be very careful with it wouldn't like to see it getting into anybody's tea ....  ;D

i use now a far better product ,its a loft treatment but treated birds with it this year,shocked was my expression...i had no lice all season,will be using it next season too,dip the birds in and away to go,around £4.50 a packet,mix with water...the name escapes me for a moment but will put it up soon as it comes back to me lol....paul

Guest TAMMY_1
paul is it cholorcarb, now sure of spelling but does same as you were saying.

yes it is a product for dipping your birds in to get rid of lice, but if you use the product I mentioned earlier made by van hee there is no need to catch birds at all and force  them into anything, which may cause stress to birds after all, a few drops on the perches make sure you will have no lice or anything all year.

Guest TAMMY_1

i dip the y/birds when i take them out the nest great stuff ;)

it is good but it only kills the lice on the birds and keeps them free for a bit but why not use something on the loft which keeps everything at bay, lice , red mite, moths ,flies and any other insects and you do not have to touch a bird to do it

Guest j.bamling

Tammy -- is this the Van Vermenex product by Van Hee

it is good but it only kills the lice on the birds and keeps them free for a bit but why not use something on the loft which keeps everything at bay, lice , red mite, moths ,flies and any other insects and you do not have to touch a bird to do it

cos i dont want to :P

That is my thoughts too Tammy, concentrate on keeping the birds environment as pest- & germ-free as possible and keep the actual bird as treatment-free as possible.. if there's nothing nasty around the bird, little chance of anything getting on or into it.

Guest TAMMY_1

That is my thoughts too Tammy, concentrate on keeping the birds environment as pest- & germ-free as possible and keep the actual bird as treatment-free as possible.. if there's nothing nasty around the bird, little chance of anything getting on or into it.

That was exactly my way of thinking Bruno because you are not touching the actual bird to dip them in anything, less stress to start with.

That was exactly my way of thinking Bruno because you are not touching the actual bird to dip them in anything, less stress to start with.

NAW  ya start with a bucket ;D and whats left you spray the loft :P

and in the end costs nothing ;)

This thread has been merged with blackjacks from General Board. His thread has got a bit mangled by this one tho, his original thread is post 11, page 1 which contains new info, and reply post Jimmy White, post 21 above.