Respiratory

Joe90

Rose you say what has changed over the years, It should be what has not changed

Most lofts are overcrowded, and too closed in with the failacy that widowhood Cocks must not get an abundance of fresh air,  If a fancier races natural a lot have too many pairs in a section hence less air space per pigeon

Young Birds are Bred by the boat load and each round the parents breed the young birds get weaker simple reason the parents get no break hence losses are higher so more are bred to compensate plus many more things but these few come to mind as i write

Steve

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Paulo
Rose you say what has changed over the years, It should be what has not changed

Most lofts are overcrowded, and too closed in with the failacy that widowhood Cocks must not get an abundance of fresh air,  If a fancier races natural a lot have too many pairs in a section hence less air space per pigeon

Young Birds are Bred by the boat load and each round the parents breed the young birds get weaker simple reason the parents get no break hence losses are higher so more are bred to compensate plus many more things but these few come to mind as i write

Steve

couldn't agree more fresh air is the best thing a bird can have

yes i think fanciers tend to forget that airspace is an important factor ,, i note in roses last post that she "only breeds a small team" is part of the answer ,as we tend to forget that at the one time ,when a pair have two big ybs in the nest ,theres double the amount of birds in that loft, so by having less birds and more airspace ,im sure the birds would be far more contented= less stress=less desease ,,and not only that ,you only tend to keep the best this way

1g per litre should be given for no more than 3 days Jimmy. It also would depend on what time of the season you would be treating the birds.   i.e water consumption of the birds.

i understand your post better now david , i was under the impression this doze was for 5 days albeit the reason i thought it was to high a doze ,,,better explained on your second post

• 3 months later...

today one of my birds is sneezing/wheezing what should i do? what is the best respritory cure, i read on another thread about a well vented loft is good but how can you tell if it is, i have a 20ft loft and at the front it is dowled all the way across and its 3 foot down and plety of air gets in do i need to do it different

If it is a one off mild case you could isolate the bird and try abit of TCP in the water,remember with your ventilation clean air needs to come in at the bottom at one end and drag dirty air across the loft  to escape at the top at the other end,will pm you :)

I am experiencing the same but have been told its natural, The birds look and fell fine, clear throats and in good general health. I wonder if its the time of year? Im not going to jump in and threat them for everything under the sun as I believe this just does more damage by breaking down their immune system but I am still worried as what it is.

I am experiencing the same but have been told its natural, The birds look and fell fine, clear throats and in good general health. I wonder if its the time of year? Im not going to jump in and threat them for everything under the sun as I believe this just does more damage by breaking down their immune system but I am still worried as what it is.

yes me too, but as its my favorite (hes got green eyes) im willing to give it a try

If it is a one off mild case you could isolate the bird and try abit of TCP in the water,remember with your ventilation clean air needs to come in at the bottom at one end and drag dirty air across the loft  to escape at the top at the other end,will pm you :)

thanks, i will have to put some vents at the back i thought the front would of let enough in

today one of my birds is sneezing/wheezing what should i do? what is the best respritory cure, i read on another thread about a well vented loft is good but how can you tell if it is, i have a 20ft loft and at the front it is dowled all the way across and its 3 foot down and plety of air gets in do i need to do it different

hi, as i pointed out on the other thread,a well vented loft doesnt guard u against respitory infections....it just cuts down on the chances of having one.

remember this time of year birds are in the cots more and are more likely to get dust into their breathing holes...just like u, if dust goes into ur nose u sneeze.

hi, as i pointed out on the other thread,a well vented loft doesnt guard u against respitory infections....it just cuts down on the chances of having one.

remember this time of year birds are in the cots more and are more likely to get dust into their breathing holes...just like u, if dust goes into ur nose u sneeze.

Thats a good point never thought of it like that

• 2 weeks later...

try using a smoke bomb called pronafit it kills all mites in your hut as well as giving your birds a dry bath it also clears there airways also it will give you a good idea if the ventilation in your loft is working as you will see the smoke coming out of the vents at the top of the loft if it comes out the bottom vents then your ventilation is not orking properly

try using a smoke bomb called pronafit it kills all mites in your hut as well as giving your birds a dry bath it also clears there airways also it will give you a good idea if the ventilation in your loft is working as you will see the smoke coming out of the vents at the top of the loft if it comes out the bottom vents then your ventilation is not orking properly

Where do you get that from? It sounds good, does anyone else use this product?

Where do you get that from? It sounds good, does anyone else use this product?

its advertised in the bhw and body and ridewood catalogue remember and use it at night when birds are settled as i have found during the day they panic and fly about

ure right not to jump in with medicens  smoke bomb a good idea or light a fag in your loft and smoke should rise slowelly and out through the top rem that hot air rises so  on my loft i have the air going out at the back so the back should be higher than the front to let out the hot air and draughts can  cause this as well

Have used a smoke bomb once in the loft, during the day, and agree birds were a bit uptight about the early fizz & flare, but when that died after a few seconds and it turned to just smoke, they were fine. Word of warning tho, OK for birds to be in there, but watch yourself, I stayed to watch and make sure the birds were OK, they were but it wasn't OK for me, my chest was right buggered for a couple of days - so don't you stay in.  ;D

On the thread's original topic, a bird sneezing: would look for other symptoms before I'd start worrying & jumping to conclusions - watery eye, stained or greasy wattle, feathers blown, huddled etc etc. - if it is just one 'symptom', as has been said, everything and everyone sneezes at some time, just a simple thing like sumfink up the nose, and to sneeze is natural response to get rid of it.