Saline Solution

Guest Owen

Just recently, I have been asked about various microscope related questions, so I have decided to place my version of the answers on the Forum. This will enable everyone to share in the information and can offer their own ideas.

Saline solution is the medium that is used to make up the floatation solution used to analyse droppings. If it is done properly you can see round worms and their eggs under a very strong magnifying glass.

You need the following:-

A large saucepan 1/3 full of water.

A lot of salt.

Method:-

bring the water to a rolling boil. Add the salt gradually. As you add the salt bring the solution back to the rolling boil.

Continue until there is a residue of salt at the bottom of the pan.

Carefully take the pan off the heat and cool. Be very careful because the solution is superheated and dangerous.

When the solution is cool you have saline solution ready for your droppings tests.

Cheers

Owen

Following taken from web site, just thought it maybe easier than making own:--

Saline solution is for rinsing and storing contact lenses, when you're using a heat or UV disinfection system. You may also need it for use with enzymatic cleaning tablets or cleaning/disinfecting devices. Never use saline products for cleaning and disinfection.

I do not know about that Andy. What I know for sure is that when you make the solution in the way I described, it is truly saturated and will float the nasties out with ease.

I have used various sorts that I have bought from differant sources but my own brand is the best. There is only one down side to it. You must keep all the metal parts of your equipment clean and dry. This solution will create rust like you can not imagine.

The solution Owen is describing is what is known as a saturated solution.

That is water which contains the maximum amount of salt. It is probably stronger than that which you would buy.

This gives the solution a high density and forces the parasites to float to the surface.

I do not know about that Andy. What I know for sure is that when you make the solution in the way I described, it is truly saturated and will float the nasties out with ease.

I have used various sorts that I have bought from differant sources but my own brand is the best. There is only one down side to it. You must keep all the metal parts of your equipment clean and dry. This solution will create rust like you can not imagine.

ok Owen , now understand why the home-made solution is better than that which i thought i could obtain freely.       andy.