Microscope worm?

ally mac

could be if not a hair ;)

Thats what Im hoping, I cleaned the plates with paper kitchen roll before putting the samples on, I've looked through some of the old microscope threads and havent seen anything like it so was hoping it is a hair, or possibly something from the kitchen roll.

something else

it doesn't look as if you have the magnification very high - looking at the background.

Would have thought  that a worm would have been visible to the naked eye lookiing at that

I see what you mean but it was the same magnification as the last picture I posted showing the other wee things (eggs?)which are gone now.

Guest frank dooman

to me this looks very much like whip worm   the worst worm of all to have in a pigeon

here we go again, is that whip/lash from the planet zorb ;D ;D ;D ;D

(Trichuris Vulpis and Relatives)

Adult Whipworm

This worm is one of the “big four†intestinal parasites with which our canine friends must contend: roundworms, tapeworms, hookworms, and whipworms. The whipworm of the dog (Trichuris vulpis) is substantially smaller than the other worms (a mere 30-50 mm in length, about two inches maximum) and is rarely seen as it lives in the cecum (the part of the large intestine where the small and large intestine meet). The “head†(or more accurately the digestive end of the worm) is skinny versus its stout tail (or reproductive end) which gives the worm a whip shape, hence the name.

In the host’s digestive tract, food passes from mouth to esophagus to stomach to small intestine to large intestine to rectum and then to the outside world. This means the large intestine is one of the last stops for nutrients and by this point in the journey, nutrients have largely been broken down and absorbed. The large intestine (also called the “colonâ€) serves to absorb water, to store fecal material, and to provide a home for a spectacular number of bacteria which are able to digest the leftover food that we cannot. The large intestine is the home of the whipworm. The adults worms bite the tissue of the intestine, actually embedding their “heads†inside, and suck blood there.

Whipworm egg isolate from a stool sample. Note the characteristic

"double plug"appearance.

Whipworms developing in the soil. Again, note the characteristic “plugs†on either end of the egg

Eggs are laid inside the large intestine and pass with the stool. Once in the outside world, the eggs require about 2-4 weeks to form embryos and become capable of infecting a new host. (This means that contaminated soil is the source of infection, not fresh feces).

The new host is infected by consuming the egg, usually during grooming. The egg hatches in the small intestine releasing a larva. The larva dives into the local glandular tissue and after about a week emerges into the small intestine and is carried downstream into the large intestine with the digested food. Once in the cecum or large intestine, its permanent home, it embeds in the tissue there, and after a total 74-87 days from the time the egg was swallowed, the young whipworm is ready to mate.

A few whipworms generally do not pose a problem for the host but if large numbers of worms are present embedding themselves in the large intestine tissue, tremendous inflammation can result leading to a bloody, gooey diarrhea. Usually there is not enough blood loss to be dangerous but the diarrhea readily becomes chronic and hard to control. A second syndrome of infection has emerged but is not well understood, this being symptoms mimicking those of Addison’s disease (Hypoadrenocorticism). Here, a waxing and waning weakness with inability to conserve salt ultimately creates a dehydration crisis. The syndrome mimics Addison’s disease in every way except that testing for Addison’s disease will be negative and deworming yields a complete recovery.

For more information on Addison’s disease click here.

Because female whipworms only periodically lay eggs (whereas other female worms lay eggs continuously), a fecal sample tested may easily be negative for eggs. This makes the confirmation of a whipworm infection a challenge. It is common to deworm for whipworms if the symptoms are suggestive of the whipworm presence even if the fecal test is negative. Most common deworming agents do not work on whipworms so something special must be selected. The most common products are fenbendazole (Panacur®), and febantel (Drontal Plus®). Because of the long maturation cycle of young worms, a second deworming some 75 days or so after the first deworming is needed to fully clear the infection (easy to forget). Often another deworming in between these doses is recommended to further control the whipworm numbers.

Panacur

Drontal Plus

Sentinel

Interceptor

More recently, regular heartworm prevention products have been developed to remove and control whipworms: Sentinel and Interceptor both will cover whipworms and their regular use covers the second deworming as well. Heartgard products do not carry a high enough dose of ivermectin to kill whipworms, though at other doses ivermectin could be used (with appropriate cautions -see link).

Soil contaminated by whipworm eggs is contaminated for years. It is virutally impossible to remove the eggs from the soil or kill them. Happily, however, this is one pet intestinal parasite that is not readily transmissible to humans.

FELINE WHIPWORM INFECTION

There are species of whipworms that can infect cats: Trichuris serrata in North America and Trichuris campanula in Europe. Because cats are very clean animals and very fastidious around feces, they rarely get infected and when they do, worm numbers are so small that symptoms hardly ever occur. Whipworms are more of an interesting incidental finding in the cat when whipworm eggs happen to come up on a routine fecal check. In other words, feline whipworm infection is generally not considered to be much of a problem.

Thats a strange one, my Linda was diagnosed with Addisons disease 2 years ago.

A second syndrome of infection has emerged but is not well understood, this being symptoms mimicking those of Addison’s disease (Hypoadrenocorticism). Here, a waxing and waning weakness with inability to conserve salt ultimately creates a dehydration crisis. The syndrome mimics Addison’s disease in every way except that testing for Addison’s disease will be negative and deworming yields a complete recovery.

i now bow to your superior brain but there is just one wee prb. non of my doo,s bark or  lick there own ---- :P

my thoughts exactly frank. I have never seen a pigeon with a whip worm and i have tested hundreds of dropping samples. trust me all you are looking at is a fibre and nothing else.

Ally, this picture was borrowed from Dennis Kunkel website. I think it may be helpful in identifying what is in the picture. My guess is the paper towel was contaminated by household dust, and you are looking at worst, an insect hair.

http://www.denniskunkel.com/product_info.php?products_id=345

92681A House dust. Components such as fiber, hair, pollen, insect fecal matter and scale (animal dander) cause allergic reactions in sensitive humans.