nesting material

mobster

if you used fine sand , surely it would drop out the holes in the bottom of the nest pan, if you lifted it up to clean the box, please dont think im trying to be cheeky as i dont mean it that way, i suppose it would be comfortable for the birds sitting ,i would be interested to see some opinions myself, hope this is taken the right way mobster.

hi mobster i use sand my self i use play sand its strealised  iput some tape over the holes in the bottom make sure the sand is dry i mix it with shavings and i fill it to the brim of the bowl please make sure the sand is bone dry i ve found out the hard way if its damp in any way also try to lift the bowl off the bottom of the box so uhave a good flow of air undernithe

Hi Mobster,

I have used several nest bowl " linings " but not sand I also was worried about the " damp " element.  I think the Tobbacco stalks want some beating.  Not only do the pigeons go crazy to pick them up and build but they are also good for the air flow and keeping nasties away, lice, redmite etc.  If the stalks appear too long, cut them down to size.  My opinion only.

i was thinking of your post and the fine sand, i would definately want air holes in the bottom of the pan , but i wondered if you stuck a fine gause on the underside of the nest pan, but would agree with tt the tobacco stalks take a bit of beating, and it certainly can make them work whilst carrying them, especialy when their cut up, it keeps a good airflow in the nest pan, i was going to try pine needles [advised by hyacinth] but been off my feet for a few weeks due to illness.at the moment their just mated and i have shavings down, [i only keep about 22 stock birds, and give the ybs to friends, forum members] anyway wish you luck mobster,and good flying

Don't think you'll get the same air movement 'under the bird' using something like sand. Incubating the eggs causes heat & moisture so would also expect a bit of dampness  ... creating a perfect environment for microbes.

Even my birds when going down in the corner will scrape the litter clear down to the wood / concrete floor. 'Twiggy' sort of things seem to be their natural preference and create an airier (and probably safer) nest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use clay pots with fine sand as nesting material. I change pots and sand when I see that the nest is becoming too damp or filled with droppings. Works fine with me  8)

BTW, I think the sand also helps in the incubation of the eggs. Helps retain the needed warmth.

Cheers.

I find the best nesting material of all is dried pine needles.

They are easy for the birds to shape round the nest bowl, but the birds tend to build "Castles" so keep an eye on them building the nest too high, or the eggs may roll out

I sometimes use nestfelts, but now using hay,which u get at the pet shops as it's been treated, put this in thr bottom of the nest bowl makes lovely base then straw, i give them tobacco stalks cut short, to oick up themselves, i feal with tobacco stalks the eggs can fall between them if used alone,

;D ;D ;D i thought you were talking about the differance of a he moth and a she moth ;D ;D

no, but seriously im sure i read that some where as well, cant remember if it was" levis book on the pigeon", some one borrowed mine and never returned it.i think it was something to do with the fumes as they are made from parrafin and camphor, maybe someone can shed a little light on the subject, i know my father used the odd couple in the loft, but that was a long time ago,,,would be interested to hear    :) :) :)

• 1 month later...

Tobbacco stalks,

Found another downfall to the use of Tobbacco stalks this morning.

Entered the loft to take the birds training and everything fine.  On my return went into the loft and found a couple of stalks had crossed a youngsters neck in the bowl and when the hen sat on it the stalks must have choked the baby.