Treating birds in the moult.

Elvan Willgrass

Would anyone consider treating there birds for say canker whilst in the moult. In other word would it affect the moult?

what are you wanting to treat with?metronidazol and ronidazol are safe to use.

i wouldn't bother treating i let them build up a resistance to canker during the off season.then treat if needed before pairing or when on eggs.

They have not raced since the end of 2005 one year as I did not race because of the bird flue business, and have been treated for nothing. Coccidiosis is almost none existent and worms etc nil but Trichomanosis is fairly high in most of the birds although they look and exercise very well, but I would not race them with canker like they have.

Maybe you can tell me where metronidazol and ronidazol can be purchased as I can only get the usual stuff for canker.

;) ;) ;)Have you any cider vinegar COLLECT ? if you have a good dose of that in the drinker for a couple of days will see an improvement in the droppings . there are posts on here about cider vinegar / check them out mate ! ;) ;) ;) ;)

they do if there stressed.Ken I can get you two numbers if you like or you can phone 118. There lennys petshop in rathbone market canning town,ill get you the number for that,or possibly Tony C could help you cos its in his neck of the woods Bill Morris' pet shop!

i wouldnt be keen to treat for anything during the moult [apart from natural products ] as it is very easy to stunt the moult using" medicines"

I have a pigeon with respiratory problem. Croaking like a frog/Quacking like a duck :) I plan to treat it with Doxycycline + Tylosine but it has yet to finish its moult. Do I need to wait for the moult to finish? I am afraid the respiratory problem might worsen if not treated immediately.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks.

shogun ,, very difficult to advice people what to do with their birds  but would ask myself the question , why is it like this in the first place, there is usually a reason , but to be brutally honest if it was that bad , i would dispose of it,  and if its not that bad , the whole flock maybe saved by simple remedies , ie plenty of fresh dry fresh air in the loft, no dampness whatsoever, no overcrowding,and keeping the loft clean and dry , birds with the right constitution kept in the right conditions shouldnt really catch this [but off coures there may well be an excuse fort his bird , it may have been in contact with other birds with this or went through some sort of extra stress]  would make sure all this is ok first, then maybe add some cider vinegar to the water , for a week or so,,,, i find by adding garlic to the water2 or 3 times a week all year helps the birds immune system, off course this is only my opinion ,and sincerly hope you get to the bottom of it,and wish you well.[i found by using antibiotics "cures"it ,, but lowers the birds resistence, and it will rear its ugly head again] all the very best anyway shogun , and asi say ,,wish you well :)

I see your point, Jimmy :)

Birds are not over-crowded. They have ACV twice a week. Small slice of garlic cloves twice a week(tedious he he he). Plenty of exercise and sunshine daily. I use SuperVit or Belgabion as vit supplements. Ideal pill once a week or as needed. Lofts and cages are cleaned daily. Drinking water replaced twice a day.

Subject bird eats well. He exercises with the bunch, but of course, seems short of breath when he lands.

He is now "isolated" in his own cage but I let him out daily to exercise and get sunshine. I went ahead with the Doxy + Tylan today. I thought it was worth the "risk". If the medication affects his moult, so be it. After all, I have no plans of racing him. He has become the "loft pet" LOL. He lands on my head most of the time. So, "culling" is out of the question :)

I think I made a "sound" decision in treating him today. His condition needs the necessary treatment.

Again, many thanks for your advice and insight.

Regards.

I see your point, Jimmy :)

Birds are not over-crowded. They have ACV twice a week. Small slice of garlic cloves twice a week(tedious he he he). Plenty of exercise and sunshine daily. I use SuperVit or Belgabion as vit supplements. Ideal pill once a week or as needed. Lofts and cages are cleaned daily. Drinking water replaced twice a day.

Subject bird eats well. He exercises with the bunch, but of course, seems short of breath when he lands.

He is now "isolated" in his own cage but I let him out daily to exercise and get sunshine. I went ahead with the Doxy + Tylan today. I thought it was worth the "risk". If the medication affects his moult, so be it. After all, I have no plans of racing him. He has become the "loft pet" LOL. He lands on my head most of the time. So, "culling" is out of the question :)

I think I made a "sound" decision in treating him today. His condition needs the necessary treatment.

Again, many thanks for your advice and insight.

Regards.

If a bird seems a bit iffy, I always ask myself 'what else is wrong apart from the thing I've noticed' : your post has answered that .... absolutely nothing  ;D ... so rather than giving him 'something' I'd have left him alone,  OR ....

looked at the 'treatment' regime, and perhaps isolated him & taken him off everything except the 'naturals' cider vinegar and garlic, strength increased.

i can understand your position shogun , and obviously your looking after your birds, and as this bird is special to you i understand what your saying,,but as for the cause of it is very difficult to sus out over the internet, as you say all the other birds are fine and well looked after, ijust wonder if the bird has mixed with any wild birds outside the loft or making a habit of drinking dirty water ,accessed by wild birds, outside the loft anywhere, as there must be a reason for this, however i do see your point in trying to cure a bird you like so much [sometimes thats the difficult part of pigeons[ i hope you succeed and the bird improves ] maybe you could let us know shogun , and good luck :) :)

was wondering myself if there is anything to give extra during the moult, but thought of the favorite saying: WHY TREAT? if there is nothing wrong? so im just

KEEPING IT SIMPLE

by giving garlic water twice a week & multi vits once a week & add extra linseed in the corn, and to be honest they look a picture of health. ;)