cleaning out

Tony C

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well basically the birds can peck there droppings and pick up disease. As long as the loft is dry and clean there should be no problems its what works for you at the minute I have sharp sand down on the floors and on the perches and nestboxes I clean this out once a day and riddle the sand to remove the droppings.

I find this works for me as it dries the droppings up straight away, its fast and easy to clean out and it makes the loft look nice and tidy and clean. With a bare floor I find you get damp patches off where you have scraped the damp droppings up and it looks messy straight away as soon as the birds start pooing on it and you have damp droppings sitting there all day unlike with the sand where they are dried out.

Cocci, lice and germs don't like a dry environment.

When I satrt racing I will clean out twice a day and replace the sand entirely every fortnight and blowtorch the floor when I do this.

Some people find that they have problems with their lungs with sand I always wear a mask when cleaning out and I have no problems with my lungs and the birds don't seem to have any problems with their lungs.

It all perference really I have always used sand I used to like seaside sand as well when I could get to the beach but my dad used to use bare floor scraped twice a day with floor white and he then started to use woodchip pellets as they asborded any mositure better.

All personal choice really what suits you and the birds health, I will have to change my sand soon as it is getting full of bloom off the birds. Sand also works for me as it is cheap with getting freebies off mates in the building trade

Wondered what disinfectant you use Jimmy and how you treat the shavings, spray it on or dip the shavings in it or does it come pre-treated?  

Had noticed the pleasant smell on my visit but forgot to ask what it was.  :)

Dropping....

A man flemmed bad and spat it out. The wind blew across and dried it up....... The whole particle is blown around and is in the air. We / Pigeons breathe air.

Wett droppings.......  not blown about eh!

A foot deep and 8 inches wide trough all around the floor and under the perches.

Chicken wired lid laced on top, cleaned out when  ... wanted.

Ghost

Are you in USA, when we were in Washington State which is very damp we used wood pellets with a great deal of success.  The perches were scraped every day and we used to rake the pellets once a week and take the clumps out. Droppings dry out as soon as the come into contact with the pellets.  In a damp enviroment they are the best thing since sliced bread

• 2 months later...