claw trimming-do u need to do it??

DJ

hi  ive noticed that some of my pigeons  have longer claws than the others and that some claws are growing upwards especially on the back toe? im assuming that they need trimming but how do i know where to cut as i dont want to cut into a vein? all of my pigeons go out daily and walk around my garden on a concrete patio so shouldnt this wear their claws down naturally ??  as a novice any advice would be appreciated             debbie  :)

My birds have very long claws - normal shape, just long - and I have never cut them. Wondered tho if I should.

But 'Question' was - do you need to? I'd be interested to know the answer and reasons.

My birds have very long claws - normal shape, just long - and I have never cut them. Wondered tho if I should.

But 'Question' was - do you need to? I'd be interested to know the answer and reasons.

MAYBE SCRATCH YI BRUNO ;D ;D ;D ;D

MAYBE SCRATCH YI BRUNO ;D ;D ;D ;D

Had a few of those.  :)  But its their beaks I'd trim, one in particular, a too friendly hen sits on my shoulder and nibbles my ear - pest of a bird - a real pest , washing my face, happened to catch sight in mirror I've a 'V' chunk of my ear lobe missing.  :(

Had a few of those.  :)  But its their beaks I'd trim, one in particular, a too friendly hen sits on my shoulder and nibbles my ear - pest of a bird - a real pest , washing my face, happened to catch sight in mirror I've a 'V' chunk of my ear lobe missing.  :(

getting worried bout you Bruno!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Guest speckled
:o its like cutting ya toe nails or finger nails ya no how far to cut, but like jimmy said id should maily happen to birds that are limitted to flying & walkjng on gravel ground same as a dog needs to run on concret to keep the clawa  at a low level :-/ but theer is a vein if ya hold then up to the light  just cut above that thay will be fine lol never seen a bird chew their own toes nails lol :P ;D ;D ;D speck

hiya sam, i trimmed some of my pigeons claws cos they were curling upwards especially on their back toes   i dont suppose street pigeons need their claws trimmed cos they spend all day walking on hard surfaces like pavements looking for food and then theres the roof tiles so they get worn down that way                its good to see youngsters like you coming into the sport and i hope you are enjoying your pigeons  

kev :)