sneezing

paullock

could be anything canker resp mites dust or just nothing only time to start worrying if they keep scatching it aswell

Agree,unless accompannied by other symptoms such as greasy wattles/loose droppings I would just assume dust.

Guest Freebird
The loft the young birds inquestion are in IS very well ventilated, the droppings are hard and they are all in good nick I think, but every now and then they do sneeze and have a scratch sometimes.

We all sneeze and have a scratch sometimes (evil) and so will our birds.

Guest peter.j

some of my birds have a darker/dirtier wattle than others i was told it was because theyd paired and where fediing/billng each other now im worried...pete

Im not a vet or anything, but have a good friend who is, and examines my birds every two/ three weeks. In both these cases, which ive had symptons myself in the past, both are carrying a touch of respiratory, especially the mucky wattled ones. It wont affect th droppings, but will affect teh performance of the birds. I had similar problems two years ago, and now treat ona cycle to prevent happening again. If either of you can get a product called naseline, then put on drop down each nostrill of all birds, and treat the birds with either doxycyclin, poladoxin, or linco spectin, i guarentee this problem will stop. Usually when they are sneezing it means that the tracks are blocked/ and/or have mucus inside of them, the sneezing is trying to get it out. I havnt looked back since doing this and would recommend that birds are treated at least once a month for such, Simon

Im not a vet or anything, but have a good friend who is, and examines my birds every two/ three weeks. In both these cases, which ive had symptons myself in the past, both are carrying a touch of respiratory, especially the mucky wattled ones. It wont affect th droppings, but will affect teh performance of the birds. I had similar problems two years ago, and now treat ona cycle to prevent happening again. If either of you can get a product called naseline, then put on drop down each nostrill of all birds, and treat the birds with either doxycyclin, poladoxin, or linco spectin, i guarentee this problem will stop. Usually when they are sneezing it means that the tracks are blocked/ and/or have mucus inside of them, the sneezing is trying to get it out. I havnt looked back since doing this and would recommend that birds are treated at least once a month for such, Simon

sorry to butt in on the thread, but may be you could give me some advice my pigeons are sneezing also but do not have dirty wattles, I am sending them to there first race on saturday do you think that it would be alright to treat them for respitorty before the race as a precausion, or should i wait until they return from the race. sorry again for butting in on the thread,

VMT

sorry to butt in on the thread, but may be you could give me some advice my pigeons are sneezing also but do not have dirty wattles, I am sending them to there first race on saturday do you think that it would be alright to treat them for respitorty before the race as a precausion, or should i wait until they return from the race. sorry again for butting in on the thread,

VMT

Sorry but if you think you have respiratory problems then it is wreckless to inflict this on your fellow members by sending them. Its not just the baskets your birds are in its the whole rudy transporter. If you don't think you have the problem WHY treat. Thats where a hellofalot of problems have come from. If you're not sure and don't have anyone who can advise ( and I dont mean advice from the portable chemist earlier) then go to a vet.

Sorry but if you think you have respiratory problems then it is wreckless to inflict this on your fellow members by sending them. Its not just the baskets your birds are in its the whole rudy transporter. If you don't think you have the problem WHY treat. Thats where a hellofalot of problems have come from. If you're not sure and don't have anyone who can advise ( and I dont mean advice from the portable chemist earlier) then go to a vet.

Wonderful !!!!!!!!  (Portable chemist) ;) ;) ;) Your a braver man than me Blue Doo  ;D ;D ;D if I'm correct in my assumption  ;D ;D ;D. Please note now !!!!!!! (health wise)  watch out for the law, they might ????????? come knocking on your door shortly. Because the advise giving here above I believe  :P :P was given with the best intensions, to help solve the problem under discussion here.

Enjoy.

Thanks for that then. it seems that you know a lot about pigeons and there owners i will come to you for advice again thanks.

Wonderful !!!!!!!!  (Portable chemist) ;) ;) ;) Your a braver man than me Blue Doo  ;D ;D ;D if I'm correct in my assumption  ;D ;D ;D. Please note now !!!!!!! (health wise)  watch out for the law, they might ????????? come knocking on your door shortly. Because the advise giving here above I believe  :P :P was given with the best intensions, to help solve the problem under discussion here.

Enjoy.

What is your assumption? Why would the law come calling? Is it wrong to advise against treating blindly, with a chemical cocktail? Is it wrong to advise against spreading disease?

My advice was to get them checked out by a vet, hardly a criminal offence. Treating them blindly with god knows what, and putting suspect pigeons in a race basket.......That should be the criminal offence. There may be an innocent reason why the birds were sneezing, but if you are happy with infected pigeons in your transporter then I will say no more. It seems to be the way pigeon racing going.

first of all im not saying that im a portble chemist, just giving honest advice on when id had problems, which are the same symptons, trying to help the lad. I use a vet myself, tested every two weeks, and where was at that i said to send the birds ??) ??) ??) ??).

Again im not telling this lad to treat blind, but in my experience ( twenty two years racing, highest prize winner 12 out of last 15 years ;D ;D ;D ;D), it sounds as though theyve a touch of respiratory.

Are you telling me you dont treat for such???????

No, i'm certainly not saying do not treat IF they have respiratory. Same goes for not putting them in the crates IF they did have it. Try contacting a local fancier who may be able to advise and either confirm whether or not they have the condition. Failing that professional advice. What I was trying to say was don't treat blindly for a condition you may not have. There are other reasons for dirty wattles.