Silky Feathers

Diamond dave

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy enough to tell the 'real' thing, if there is such a thing  :), mine are silky coming out the nest. I think it's in the breeding, not the feeding. Another thread on here, Jimmy White I think it was, said there are two distinct feathering types, drier coarser feather associated with sprinters, and silky smooth associated with long distance pigeons.

theres more good looking nowts than winners don't care wat they look or feel like had hold of unc topper worst pigeon ever seen or handled heart and brains wat count

Guest frank dooman

theres more good looking nowts than winners don't care wat they look or feel like had hold of unc topper worst pigeon ever seen or handled heart and brains wat count

yes agree my good distance family you wouldnt give a second look at they are just doo,s nothing special to look at

Sorry Don - didn't mean to cause you any embarresment but very grateful for your advice - as from everyone contributing to this thread.

The debate now seems to be taking 4 angles -

1). Those that think the silky feathering is inherent in the strain...........

2). Those that think it can be fed into the pigeons .........

3). Those that think it is applied (through the bath or sprayed on).........

4). Those that think it is induced by form..........

Many of the fancirs that have commented on this thread are top fliers and some have different opinions - for Novices and beginners this now becomes a little confusing. Is this condition now a Myth or should we be striving to use all of these methods prior to basketing our birds.......?

Silky feathering is inherent. The condition of same pigeon can worsen or be elevated by certain factors. Ill health can make the feather feel drier whereas tip-top health can make it feel silkier bordering on oily/damp. You can increase the amount of bloom on a pigeon (making it feel silkier) by giving it a hand bath in warm water massaging its skin at the same time then place the pigeon in a basket overnight next to a radiator (one that’s on ;D).

Leighton - very interesting - is this correct ? - Where is this gland. Wouldn't the area around the gland be constantly greasy? Where is the ring around the neck. Is the bloom that is left on top of the bath dead skin.......?

D.D.

the gland is by the rump just above the the tail this some time can get blocked and needs help to open.

the gland is like a grease nipple.

the ring shows up when the pigeon is in top health and top form shows a ring round round the neck and breast.

they will be some skin in the water but you can see it better on top off the droppings the call it dust like little specks of white.

the white on top of bath is the bloom off the birds flights.

Piet De Weerd all ways looked for wet pigeons

I bought a pigeon from a small but very successful loft in Belgium. Now all my pigeons have beautiful feathering, soft and silky with a nice shine. But this pigeon is something else. His feathering are like down and he literally slips through your hands. To be honest, I was not sure what to make of him at first, but I kept him because he was differant and besides I paid a good bit for him. I think it will be very interesting to see what he produces with a known good breeding hen. I wonder if his feathering is part of the reason why he could be a good sprinter, or at least his relitives are. Maybe I'll learn something.

I bought a pigeon from a small but very successful loft in Belgium. Now all my pigeons have beautiful feathering, soft and silky with a nice shine. But this pigeon is something else. His feathering are like down and he literally slips through your hands. To be honest, I was not sure what to make of him at first, but I kept him because he was differant and besides I paid a good bit for him. I think it will be very interesting to see what he produces with a known good breeding hen. I wonder if his feathering is part of the reason why he could be a good sprinter, or at least his relitives are. Maybe I'll learn something.

owen um bonkers ive seen that cock and your birds  are alot nicer than him in condition ect dnt take this the wrong way just think u shud credit your birds alot more they are class and results proov that ;)

Guest frank dooman

yes robbie i think alot of it has to do with the family but it is one of the things that tells you all is well in the birds you wont get a badly bred bird to shine the same

Leighton - very interesting - is this correct ? - Where is this gland. Wouldn't the area around the gland be constantly greasy? Where is the ring around the neck. Is the bloom that is left on top of the bath dead skin.......?

D.D.

The gland is found on the rump of the pigeon. It is believed the oil from this gland (Uropygial) only produces 10% of the pigeons protection against water the other 90% protection is made up of bloom.

This page gives a better understanding of bloom  http://www.avianmedicine.net/ampa/44.pdf

Tony, thanks for that. Been looking for work corroborating with what I'd found and posted many times before, waterproofing is 10% preen gland oil, 90% powder down. Preen gland oil is mainly antifungal, and also helps the bird make Vitamin D.

Leighton, more than a bit puzzled by this 'ring' round the neck. Are you talking about the bands of red / blue / green irridescent feathers?

Nobody was talking about good looking pigeons. We were talking about feather types, silky and sack? Obviously neither feather type decides a winning pigeon, otherwise there would only be one type. And in my opinion all winning pigeons look good whether or not they are good looking.  :)

• 12 years later...