henry mair's lionheart

yes responsible for some top long distance names including the late great Stan Biss i believe.
what,  i think he had one bird from him that did no bad so does that mean it was responsible for biss's loft. surely not.

yes responsible for some top long distance names including the late great Stan Biss i believe.

I fear you might be struggling under an illusion here. One bird was sold to Jim Biss and was generations removed from any winners. The last race Henry flew was in 1968 and his best position was 3rd Lancaster---about 120 miles.

Nice one lads, well theres always two sides to a story! although i think i'm right in saying that a guy in Oxford has 2 x1st nfcsect wins with his birds too.

Guest Paulo

Bit of a joke in Scotland from what I have heard. If you want national winning distance blood go to someone who is racing and winning now. Chris Gordon or Brian Denny springs to mind.

i had a direct son of lionheart , he bred me a winner straight away, he was old though .. only filled couple of eggs.  but other birds on the market now which are probably better. i thinkg gangster can put anyone onto a good pigeon family at any distance, he knows hes stuff.

oh happy days :)

Guest youngzimmy

I WAS AT A SALE AND SOMEPNE PAID £75.00 FOR ONE THE LAUGH WAS HE WAS ADVERTISING THEM IN THE BHW AE THE TIME FOR £25.00 TO MUCH MONEY OR BIDDING FEVER TAKE YOUR PICK

Guest Paulo
I WAS AT A SALE AND SOMEPNE PAID £75.00 FOR ONE THE LAUGH WAS HE WAS ADVERTISING THEM IN THE BHW AE THE TIME FOR £25.00 TO MUCH MONEY OR BIDDING FEVER TAKE YOUR PICK

Or mortal after a few pints and thought it was a dale newcombe pigeon or someone else decent

1000 mile family

anyony had any of these birds?????

This fancier bred a pigeon for J gibson of Dalkieth which bred him many winners including a gold award winner called Sartilly express wich was also sold to Biss.

I visited Henry mair in the early 90s and i can honestly say his HUSBANDRY is the worst i have ever seen in my life i wouldnt touch them with a barge pole :( :( :(

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well gentleman and ladies - I most certainly know about Henry Mairs pigeons - infact if you turn to Henry's advert he puts in every  journal you will see he advertises one bird as 'The ONLY pigeon in race time winning £3900 -in fact it was £3904 but whos quibling about four quid. My name is Alan Howes who raced back then with my late brother as Howes Bros and owned and raced a bird I purchased at auction for £15 which in its self was a fluke because I walked into the Rochester Way Social Club hall were I was looking for my mate- the room was packed- I spoted my friend and waved to him- absolutely fatel when Chris Baxter is the auctionier- being as back then everybody was looking for Beauchert sprinters. no one wanted an old plodder from Henry Mairs- the hammer went down for my 'bid' so I was landed with the bird. Oh what a very fortunate mistake as that bird won me everything that year as everybody else was wiped out being it was ONLY BIRD IN RACE TIME

As a postscript to my having the only bird in race time- NOW I wouldn't touch Henrys birds with a barge pole being. as someone has already pointed out Henrys birds have not seen a race basket for thirty or more years. I know race Irvine Buchans Kirkpatrick based family and have had decent results so far in the few long races I've put them in which is just four Internationals. Last year I entered into just one the Marseille Internation 560 odd miles and was 10th BICC open (only 10 on the winning day)-this season I entered Pau and was 40th open BICC 560mls, 34th Open Barcelona BICC 688mls and 5th Open BICC from Tarbes BICC 565mls. As you can see Im hardly likely to get Henrys birds mixed into those I have now

when looking for distance birds.go to sites like the S.N.F.C . then look through the results from this year last year the year before that and so on.then look for the names that are getting on results year after year.as i said earlier on in this thread i phoned him a few years ago he more or less told me to look else where. he also told me why but i can,t remember.i was enough for me not to get any birds from him.