a little info on the bean weevil,,,

jimmy white

looking at the most  interesting topic on  tic beans,, and agree with most posts,, i,e bringing up healthy strong  yb,s,, ,and easier to bring on form, when carb, s are added etc,, but in my opinion,, tic beans should be perfectly sound and kept in the right storage conditions,,,, with out weevil holes,,, in my opinion these weevils will chew and  bury into the bean [or pea],, and ruin the goodness of the bean,,,   and although the weevil larvae can be killed by heat, or fumigation, this still leaves a hole in the bean that is a haven for many nasties,, ,in my next post i shall print [with my one finger ;D],, a little info on the bean weevil :)

has tic beans years ago from a friend full of weevil and very cheep had a cracking season full of eggs it was must of been loads of protein in them ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Guest frank dooman

When you see the weaviel hole thats when it has left the bean yes it might have left its larvy inside but it has defo. eaten all that is good about tic beans so they are of no good to our birds

the bean weevil, common name for a well -known cosmopolitan species of beetle, that attacks the bean and is thought to be native to the u,s. ...it belongs to the  family of bruchidea, the seed beetles.   the bean weevil is is very small, about one sixth of an inch [old money ;D], stout bodied, with a short broad snout and shortened wing covers.

the adults attack legumes [pes and beans etc] either in storage or in the field and may even completely destroy them. the grubs or larvae, hatch from the eggs laid in the holes that have been chewed by the female into stored beans or into the pods or even in the field where they grow...in heavy festations there maybe two dozen or more newly hatched larvae in one bean.  when full grown, the larvae form pupae in the eaten out cavity,, . as many as 6 generations are produced in a single season, and in storage , breeding continues, as long as there is available food left in the bean and a warm temperature. the larvae can be killed by fumigation or by heating the beans to 145 degrees far, [63 cent] for two hours ,,, the bean weavil is classed as an insect.,,more next post :)

the bean weevils or seed weevils are a family  called   bruchidea. they typicaly invest various kind of seeds or beans , living most of their life inside a single seed, the family includes about 1,350 species found world wide.

bean weevils are generally compact and oval in shape, with small heads somewhat bent under,, sizes differ in different species. colours are usually black or brown, often with mottled patterns. although their mandables maybe elongate, they do not have the long snouts characteristic of true weevils.

adults deposit their eggs on the seeds, then the larvae chew their way into the seed,,,,when ready to pupaate, the larvae typicaly cut an exit hole , then return to their feeding chamber.  adult weevils have a habit of feigning  death and dropping from a plant when disturbed,,,,,,,host plants tend to be legumes , i,e peas and beans etc.

When you see the weaviel hole thats when it has left the bean yes it might have left its larvy inside but it has defo. eaten all that is good about tic beans so they are of no good to our birds

entirely agree,the good is taken from the inside of the bean,,,,,, but even if dead [by extreme heating],,,the weevil hole is also open for any other nasties that might be comfortable there.

has tic beans years ago from a friend full of weevil and very cheep had a cracking season full of eggs it was must of been loads of protein in them ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ive hard this many times b4 ,by many fanciers, :),,,,, in fact from my late father who swore by beans ,,,, about the protein in the weevil???,,,he loathed this weevil, the hole it left, the bacteria that could build up in this hole, not to mention fungi,,, although loved using beans,, ,, he once sent a ton back to the suppliers and got his money back [a true scot ;D]

my own opinion is, beans nowadays are under rated,[but seem to be slightly comming into the fashion  again],, but can play a part in sound feeding,, especially for the distance,, but like any other grain must be  perfectly stored and kept clean, and dry,,,,[birds will never get fat on hopper fed beans],, but a balanced diet is still recommended, including beans :) jmo :)

yip,, bean there,, wore the t shirt [i got on tic ;D ;D ;D]

but have you seen the film, Its the one where of em gets on a bike and jumps 20 buses, think he called himself Weevil Knievel ;D

but have you seen the film, Its the one where of em gets on a bike and jumps 20 buses, think he called himself Weevil Knievel ;D

wee vil talk about this film later ;D ;D ;D,,,,,and the other film "one flew over the cuckoos nest",,,,, we vil talk about this one two, maybe even three ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D later,,  ;D ;D ;D ;D,, there comming to take me away ha ha,, we vill go together ;D ;D ;D  your bang on redcheqhen,,, they do get worse lol ;D ;D

ive hard this many times b4 ,by many fanciers, :),,,,, in fact from my late father who swore by beans ,,,, about the protein in the weevil???,,,he loathed this weevil, the hole it left, the bacteria that could build up in this hole, not to mention fungi,,, although loved using beans,, ,, he once sent a ton back to the suppliers and got his money back [a true scot ;D]

my own opinion is, beans nowadays are under rated,[but seem to be slightly comming into the fashion  again],, but can play a part in sound feeding,, especially for the distance,, but like any other grain must be  perfectly stored and kept clean, and dry,,,,[birds will never get fat on hopper fed beans],, but a balanced diet is still recommended, including beans :) jmo :)

can rember cock '44' won first club race of year Verheye x Bushaert  velocity was 1759.  100 ypm i call that wevily good fed nothing other than the weeviled tic beans as said weevil gone but loads of eggs , so must of been plenty of protein in them , i got mine via Mick Wharton , he said he was feeding them his birds looked a picture which they did and said i can get you a few bags i bought one just to try , then bought loads lasted till i hit coast then they ran out madness indeed who would buy these ;)