600 MILE

chris h

well i only train before racing and if going stale or if not racing that week but id give a few inland races prior to race then straight in but at that distance i would only fly 3 year olds but if you can single up every week 30 miles twice a week

first of all you need 600 mile bloodlines,

next train single ups as yb,s as much as poss with just a few races.

as yearlings raced lightly racing them with big jumps [missing each second race]

as 2 year olds must do well from over 500 miles [roughly 5 races , b4 that.

3 year old , if their good enough,,[and still there :)] 4 races ,,a good 8 hour fly about 3 weeks b4 event ,,,,,,,,,then pray ;D ;D ;D  [in these 3 years single up training from east and west]

its very hard to get birds that will win at that distance , but if they do, and are not burnt out as yb,s yearlings , the same bird will score again and again if treated right :),, but ,,as with pigeons,, theres many ways to skin a cat ;D

as yearlings raced lightly racing them with big jumps [missing each second race]

3 year old , if their good enough,,[and still there :)] 4 races ,,a good 8 hour fly about 3 weeks b4 event ,,,,,,,,,then pray ;D ;D ;D  [in these 3 years single up training from east and west]

its very hard to get birds that will win at that distance , but if they do, and are not burnt out as yb,s yearlings , the same bird will score again and again if treated right :),, but ,,as with pigeons,, theres many ways to skin a cat ;D

good post Jimmy  :)

well i only train before racing and if going stale or if not racing that week but id give a few inland races prior to race then straight in but at that distance i would only fly 3 year olds but if you can single up every week 30 miles twice a week
at 30 miles  if you get the chance let them up halfe hour before  dark on the odd ocasion ,it will make them used to flying into the late hours ,and if the go down for the night they will  get up at first light to get home .ATB les.

Guest chrisss
i think the best lines are any birds that are bred from 600 mile prizewinners,,,, some good buys, at the end of the year with latebreds direct off the prizewinners from that distance , at pretty reasonable prices really ,,,its patience after that :)

great can i book a pair? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D sorry went off topic but it pays to get in fast?

• 1 month later...

good 1

jimmy can you put some informaion on feeding for a 500 600 mile race thanks

how do you train your birds for 600 odd mile race's

First off you get blood that is capable of doing well at that distance. then you let them get a sense of HOME and Contentment and a wanting to be in the safe enviroment that is their loft. Until then you'll do nowt with your birds as far as I am concerned.

A few training tosses first year as young birds. A couple of 100 -  150 milers races as yearlings. If then  they like and want to be in your' loft.... Well they be there  - all things being equeal at the end of the 600+ races.

good 1

jimmy can you put some informaion on feeding for a 500 600 mile race thanks

im sure theres many who could reply to this,, but in my opinion,  there is even different feeding for the 500 miler than the 600 miler [problem is,, you never know what the race is going to turn out like,, sir colin scored in very hard difficult north wind races , one race with only 51 timed in out of over 2,000,, if i remember right , another with only so many timing in ,, all very hard races,, but 600 miles is a difficult task for any pigeon, no matter the wind ,, sir colin was kept in with the yb,s flew with them,, then with the w/hood cocks he had 3 races up to worcestor[which he won ,,twice :)]  then to sartilly[505 miles] where he scored,, about 3 weeks later sent to nantes where he was the first bird into scotland flying over 600 miles [2cnd national]  with this work load he was fed a heavy diet of beans, peas, and peanuts,with a little maize  [in between these two races he was given a few yeast tabs every day, a c,l o capsule every second day ,,, a week b4 the sartilly race the maize content was lifted higher , on return he was fed a very light diet , mostly red band and barley, fed seperately , but only for three days , then fed on the heavy diet again , a few days b4 entering him into nantes , the maize was upped again ,, this bird was never trained after that worcester race,, as i say , he flew with the y,s [kept up with them ;D] then with the w/hood cocks [and flew with them :)], he was out at the crack of dawn,,when all the birds were finished fed and watered about 5 30 pm,, he was put out on his own about 10pm and kept flying till near dark , i beleive the heavy feeding along with the voluntary flying, which he thrived on,, [apart from the late evening fly where he soon got used to being kept up] muscled the bird up, to compete and score  in a 505 mile race, then approx three weeks later scored from a 605 mile race ,, this was my way for this bird,,

at the other end of the scale , i won a combine [3 feds] from 505 miles [liberated with the up north combine 15000 birds ] the pigeon won by 36 mins and was on par with the second up north combine winner flying a further 130 miles or so,further,,, this bird was fed on a simple  w/hood mix[but still got the yeast tabs and c,l,o caps  [never road trained either ,but worked well at home ]  but a higher velocity  

so really depends on the race,,, but 600 miles,, never easy  :)

im sure theres many who could reply to this,, but in my opinion,  there is even different feeding for the 500 miler than the 600 miler [problem is,, you never know what the race is going to turn out like,, sir colin scored in very hard difficult north wind races , one race with only 51 timed in out of over 2,000,, if i remember right , another with only so many timing in ,, all very hard races,, but 600 miles is a difficult task for any pigeon, no matter the wind ,, sir colin was kept in with the yb,s flew with them,, then with the w/hood cocks he had 3 races up to worcestor[which he won ,,twice :)]  then to sartilly[505 miles] where he scored,, about 3 weeks later sent to nantes where he was the first bird into scotland flying over 600 miles [2cnd national]  with this work load he was fed a heavy diet of beans, peas, and peanuts,with a little maize  [in between these two races he was given a few yeast tabs every day, a c,l o capsule every second day ,,, a week b4 the sartilly race the maize content was lifted higher , on return he was fed a very light diet , mostly red band and barley, fed seperately , but only for three days , then fed on the heavy diet again , a few days b4 entering him into nantes , the maize was upped again ,, this bird was never trained after that worcester race,, as i say , he flew with the y,s [kept up with them ;D] then with the w/hood cocks [and flew with them :)], he was out at the crack of dawn,,when all the birds were finished fed and watered about 5 30 pm,, he was put out on his own about 10pm and kept flying till near dark , i beleive the heavy feeding along with the voluntary flying, which he thrived on,, [apart from the late evening fly where he soon got used to being kept up] muscled the bird up, to compete and score  in a 505 mile race, then approx three weeks later scored from a 605 mile race ,, this was my way for this bird,,

at the other end of the scale , i won a combine [3 feds] from 505 miles [liberated with the up north combine 15000 birds ] the pigeon won by 36 mins and was on par with the second up north combine winner flying a further 130 miles or so,further,,, this bird was fed on a simple  w/hood mix[but still got the yeast tabs and c,l,o caps  [never road trained either ,but worked well at home ]  but a higher velocity  

so really depends on the race,,, but 600 miles,, never easy  :)

thanks for that jimmy white it is now in my book