National Pigeon Minded People On Basics

cemetary

After hearing various prices on vets etc to fly National pigeons abroad, how many are prepared to pay the cost of the VET, it is a dying sport at the moment with various things, if your a person who likes to fly the Nationals abroad, are you prepared to pay the cost. ?

It would be interesting to hear you views with the cost, and are you prepared to pay this. 

Lets here what you are prepared to do this year. 

I have heard quotes or £85 to £150, I am really national minded so would probably pay this but first I need to find a vet in Lanarkshire area to register with and who is prepared to do the loft visit required for next year.           

Any suggestions on a vet would be appreciated

I won’t be paying for a vet and to be honest I think a lot of people will be thinking the same which will definitely result in a big drop in National membership to the extent that in the not so distant future Channel racing into Scotland will be a thing of the past. Jmo

Yes, definitely, I love long distance racing so its a no brainer for me to do it. The costs aren't too bad in the great scheme of things. If I need to pay a vet  £50, £80, £100 or whatever it ends up being, once a year to enable me to compete in the best races then I'll definitely do it. By way of comparison, in terms of costs, I just paid £80 for ETS rings for my YBs. This is a similar amount, just another cost to absorb if you want to participate. I've been really surprised by how many members are saying they won't do it. Hopefully there will be enough to keep it viable.

Jamie, would hate to think of the cost to send birds across the channel next year. This year with so many marking stations with vets attending, the sign off with an official defra vet at Gretna then the cost of the French Vet at the border control point. SNFC paying cost this year, but would be lucky to survive another 3 - 4 years without increasing birdage drastically or increasing annual fees again. Central marking would be the only viable situation. Doesn’t surprise me that as many fanciers are not signing up to DEFRA, some  guys are struggling financially just to live.