Channel Racing update

greenlands

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/7/2022 at 6:49 PM, philg50 said:

This if i read correct states vets  visits etc this will put a lot of guys off from now on i would say,pity.

Does anyone know what a visit from a vet cost I use to work on a farm The vets fee was 65 quid that did not include any meds or proceedurs that was done. Could turn out an costly affair I dont think I will be sending  birds acros the water

I cannot believe a vet will sign off a loft as vaccinated  if he has not done the job himself ,and this may be where the mention of an  " additional " visit is coming from.                    As regards the export health certificate if a vet has to sign off the convoy  ,I would imagine he will want to see  paper work from another vet, a vac cert with club stamp and lay witnesses might not cut the mustard.

2 hours ago, reddog said:

I cannot believe a vet will sign off a loft as vaccinated  if he has not done the job himself ,and this may be where the mention of an  " additional " visit is coming from.                    As regards the export health certificate if a vet has to sign off the convoy  ,I would imagine he will want to see  paper work from another vet, a vac cert with club stamp and lay witnesses might not cut the mustard.

I'm not sure that is the purpose of a vet, to sign off to say birds are vaccinated. My vet is expecting to collect a dropping sample and do a salmonella test - which is what they do for poultry exports for the EU, even though pigeons are not in the food chain, they are being 'exported' to be released. This is just second guessing on both parts. 

1 hour ago, REDCHEQHEN said:

I'm not sure that is the purpose of a vet, to sign off to say birds are vaccinated. My vet is expecting to collect a dropping sample and do a salmonella test - which is what they do for poultry exports for the EU, even though pigeons are not in the food chain, they are being 'exported' to be released. This is just second guessing on both parts. 

Always been a bone of contention whether pigeons could be classed as poultry whether you eat them or not, but you cannot transport either to the EU. without vac for newcastle disease / paramxyovirus  . I think any vet would would have to check the vac certs before passing the convoy for export and it is the quality and value of our certs that would be questioned because they have been done by amateurs.  This might be why they are still seeking " guidance " 

On 4/9/2022 at 1:31 PM, VAGIN said:

Does anyone know what a visit from a vet cost I use to work on a farm The vets fee was 65 quid that did not include any meds or proceedurs that was done. Could turn out an costly affair I dont think I will be sending  birds acros the water

'My' vet has come up with a plan - over the Autumn /Winter months a minimum of 10 lofts, they will waiver the mileage and charge £45 per loft, all to be done on the same day and will provide a health plan

3 hours ago, andy Burgess said:

that sounds interesting , you will have to let us know the outcome.

what about the current season ?

It is not a requirement this year - it is "within the year", the main requirement is registering with DEFRA/APHA and waiting as there is currently nothing in place, which is supposed to be rectified 'very soon'

49 minutes ago, andy Burgess said:

that seems a little strange (to me) ?

all that fuss , yet ok to race this season ?

I can just see a convoy being turned back......actually, at the moment the French aren't allowing Belgians into France to train because of avian flu! I don't know about racing....nor do I know about the vet checks for the convoy.....

21 minutes ago, REDCHEQHEN said:

I can just see a convoy being turned back......actually, at the moment the French aren't allowing Belgians into France to train because of avian flu! I don't know about racing....nor do I know about the vet checks for the convoy.....

best get distances for Dover and other southerly ports !!

• 2 weeks later...

In my previous update of 7th April I stated that the DEFRA loft registration process would be published within two week. This week I have been 'chasing' confirmation in relation to the process. However, as of 4.30pm today, Friday 22nd April 2022 I have received no information in this respect. I appreciate this is a frustrating position for everyone concerned and is impacting on the start of organisations channel race programmes. I will continue to push for this process to be published as soon as possible and as soon as I have any information I will share it through the normal channels. In the meantime I have held meetings with various veterinary practices to establish a list of of such practices that are willing and able to carry out loft visits to adhere to the EU loft registration requirements and also compile a list of Official Veterinarians that are able to sign export health certificates for organisations. This list will be published sometime next week and will be updated as and when necessary. Finally, I wish to clarify that the loft registration process is one imposed by EU regulations (not DEFRA) for those lofts wishing to race from EU countries. The reason that they have to be registered with DEFRA is purely down to the EU regulations requiring lofts to be registered with the competent authority within the country of origin. In the UK the competent authority is DEFRA Ian Evans CEO

23 April 2022 To: Craig Williams MP, Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Pigeon Racing
As you are aware, cross channel pigeon racing has been taking place for over 120 years. In 2021, with the implementation of new EU Animal Health Regulations, this historic sport was under threat. Over the past 14 months the Royal Pigeon Racing Association, with assistance from yourself, Defra, European friends and organisations, have been lobbying the EU to achieve amendments to the regulations that made it impossible to move racing pigeons from Third Countries into the EU. Following the latest amendments to EU Regulations, I believe we are now in a position to be able to achieve cross channel racing in 2022, albeit while adhering to many requirements that pre-Brexit were not required.
These requirements include that each pigeon loft (premises) has to be registered with the competent authority of the country of origin. As you are aware, the competent authority in the UK is Defra. In recent weeks I have attended a number of meetings with Defra officials in order to establish a process of registration. The latest meeting was on 7th April when we were told that the registration process would be published within the next two weeks. This period has passed and we still have no definitive date as to when this process will be published. This and any further delay will have a detrimental impact on the possibility of achieving channel racing this year.
Considering the fact that no cross channel racing took place in 2021, I am sure you can appreciate that our members are getting more and more frustrated with this position and there is a real threat to the future of this historic sport. Therefore, in your capacity as Chair of the APPG for Pigeon Racing, could you could support a request to Defra or the appropriate minister for the registration process to be published as soon as possible, and for suitable resources to be allocated to the registration process to ensure lofts are registered as quickly as possible.
Whatever peoples’ political position on Brexit, it would be a shame if Brexit did mean we lose two racing seasons and therefore jeopardise the future of this historic sport that enriches many lives by providing opportunities of recreation, competition and social inclusion,Ian Evans CEO

• 2 weeks later...

EU Animal Health Regulations -
Channel Racing

10/5/22

Continental Racing Update 

At today's meeting (10/05/2022) with DEFRA and representatives from the devolved Governments we were informed that; 

1. That the registration process for England, Scotland and Wales will go live at 10am on 24th May 2022

2. Due to the possible high level of demand on registration in England there could be a period of up to 6 week before all lofts are registered.

3. The Export Health Certificate along with all guidance notes will be published on 24th May 2022

DEFRA has indicated that following the registration process going live we will be kept updated of the amount of applications for registration and how many loft s they have registered. This will then give us a clearer picture of how long it will be until all lofts are registered.  

Website links and information on how to register will be published on the RPRA website at 10am on 24th May 2022   

There will be more detailed information published over the next two weeks.

Ian Evans
CEO
Royal Pigeon Racing Association

Surely the governing bodies from each organisation can do some pre registration work ready for it going live. 

In Scotland anyone wishing to compete in Channel racing would by now have joined one of the two national organisations so they along with the shu can surely start the ball rolling

The paperwork for the transportation of the birds is going to be fun (not), you need an administrator at each marking station looking at it , and checks will be very stringent - looks like every basket may even have to be labelled with the ring numbers of the birds in each individual basket. 

Perfect paperwork at a marking station is highly unlikely