The previous format

Colin8

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit  at first I found this new format quite confusing, however like all new things, I am having to learn how to navigate through the site. Once I eventually found how to set my default settings, via the show filter option at the top of the page, I am slowly but surely getting there.:emoticon-0138-thinking:

The site had to undergo a change of server, and hence this new format. The old server was ceasing operating as from midnight 31/08/21.

We had no option other than to source a new server in order for Pigeon Basics to continue. We appreciate the frustration of some members regarding the new format, but the choice we had before us, was source a new server or allow the site to close down completely as from midnight 31/08/21.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing members.

Selecting the option next to the plus on the top right to show new activity helps restrict views to recent active threads and represents how I typically viewed information in the old format.

There are 100’s of redundant historical links that are cluttering up the user experience. Folders and links could be amalgamated or archived to present  a much cleaner presentation .

If presented with no more than 6-7 links it would be beneficial . Furthermore Sticky’s for want if a better word have to be controlled , just hanging around the top of threads for no reason for years  mean scrolling down to where there are actually new posts. 

Upgrades in public forums represent the bigger risk to users staying loyal (all public forums have had this problem).

2 hours ago, Colin8 said:

This format is too complicated for an old bloke like me, the previous one is a lot easier to follow 

Some of these issues can be addressed by clicking on "show filters" where members can choose what to view each time they come on site.

Screenshot_20210831-072754_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210831-072805_Chrome.jpg

5 hours ago, sapper756 said:

I must admit  at first I found this new format quite confusing, however like all new things, I am having to learn how to navigate through the site. Once I eventually found how to set my default settings, via the show filter option at the top of the page, I am slowly but surely getting there.:emoticon-0138-thinking:

The site had to undergo a change of server, and hence this new format. The old server was ceasing operating as from midnight 31/08/21.

We had no option other than to source a new server in order for Pigeon Basics to continue. We appreciate the frustration of some members regarding the new format, but the choice we had before us, was source a new server or allow the site to close down completely as from midnight 31/08/21.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing members.

:pidge:

Hey all, friendly face popping back in briefly :)

Sapper had all the details on why the change had to happen, and when. The look and feel did change a bit with the update, but hopefully with a bit of time getting used to it there will be some benefits.

A couple of pointers;

• Portal-like functionality can be found in a couple of places;
  • On smaller screens and mobile phones the forum will look a little different - it now has what they call a responsive design - which means less zooming in and out of the "big" version. The content is the same it has just been made into one column or popped behind some menus.
  • On desktop the sidebar (with some adverts) is a little wider than before, and on mobile it drops to the bottom of the page. Adverts can be annoying, but it's how the site's bills are paid.
  • If you are not logged in there is one additional advert near the top of the page. Log in, and that one is no longer displayed. The adverts are roughly the same as was in the before times.

I've attached a couple of screenshots of the views like you should be seeing. If they are drastically different do let us know and we can take a look into it :)

desktop.png

mobile.png