Young Birds

kapri 07

maybe , what do you suggest ?

in all honesty I do not no but maybe the shu or rpra and fed committee can draw up a suggestion that we can try at the very least ....I may not be the best dooman on the forum bit I've got plenty common sence when it comes to nature ..we all blame peregrines but its not ther fault as they are doing what every other animal bird etc do in the wild and that is teach there babies to hunt and fend for themselves so if we changed the months we raced young birds there's a chance we would get less attacks as they aren't teaching.

in all honesty I do not no but maybe the shu or rpra and fed committee can draw up a suggestion that we can try at the very least ....I may not be the best dooman on the forum bit I've got plenty common sence when it comes to nature ..we all blame peregrines but its not ther fault as they are doing what every other animal bird etc do in the wild and that is teach there babies to hunt and fend for themselves so if we changed the months we raced young birds there's a chance we would get less attacks as they aren't teaching.

dont knock yourself as a dooman Bob, at least your trying an idea out . i think maybe if we can convince club members , and then the fed , it may work !

Some have had success training latebreds in October / November. Others say breed earlier, race earlier, so our YB's are not a food source in July / August. Early breeding means working against nature because there is not the light required to raise young, so we would require to provide that light. Later breeding for October / November YB racing would at least mean there was natural light. :)

Well that says it all 503 views not even a dozen replies on the situation reqarding young bird racing and losses ..so my guess is we just carry on regardless until this time next season then fanciers are all moaning about falcon/hawks imo it's the pigeon fanciers fault not bop ....reason I feel so strong about this is I personally witnessed a peregrines and it young pick of my young birds as if they were we dots in the sky

Been Happening for years now,bur pigeon men wont change still want to fly the way they did 100 years ago ,moving makes sense but it will never happen.

Moving might make sense as a quick fix but it's shortening an already short enough season and giving in to the issue... A much bigger more organised effort is required to lessen the threat and able fanciers to enjoy their yb racing

It wont make one bit of difference ! They will still be there In all months !! If you did race youngsters later the Peregrine young would be even more experienced and deadly !! They have a very wide range of prey that they can practice on !!

It wont make one bit of difference there In all months !! If you did race youngsters later the Peregrine young would be even more experienced and deadly !! They have a very wide range of prey that they can practice on !!

so we sit and do nothing about it even without trying ..if that's the case young bird racing is finished. That I can guarantee.

so we sit and do nothing about it even without trying ..if that's the case young bird racing is finished. That I can guarantee.

Dont think i said in my reply “Sit and do nothing†each to they’re own Do what ever you think might work but Unfortunately your suggestion won’t work that I can also Guarantee

think you are right we have to change the racing program. start early in the year and race young birds in the winter months and let the bop eat mare wild birds

If, for any reason, we are able to reduce prey during these months, there is a chance that less peregrine YB's will reach adulthood. We are making it easy for them to learn to hunt. Yes, they will still be there during October / November, but if their food source is reduced they will increase their territories to hunt for their varied diet. This will cause territory wars and they will eat their own if necessary. This could be one weapon in our arsenal, but it cannot be the only one. :)

being a keeper of pigeons and birds of prey you would be on a wing and a prayer to find a gap birds of prey will kill more in the winter if they had chance as they would need more to survive the cold they go on a killing spree just before breeding to fatten themselves up to breeding condition then the female sparrow hawk doesn’t kill while sitting eggs and the male will nit take pigeons only blackbirds ect but young peregrines that do not breed in there first year have become expert killers and will kill all year around the months the parents kill the most is late july august trying to keep up with feeding there nest and then start teaching there youngsters which will them become hunters themselves and continue to survive by killing every couple of days there is around 1500 breeding pairs in the uk each pair at least turning out two chicks each i think the only way forward to stand any chance of limiting there numbers would be to allow the legal take of youngsters out the nest and stop putting up un natural nest in cities.a lot of countries would take a good few youngsters every year as there as been a shortage of birds bred in captivity with most being flown out to the middle east i do not think they will ever allow a cull but legal take might be a better option to start at least reducing numbers

being a keeper of pigeons and birds of prey you would be on a wing and a prayer to find a gap birds of prey will kill more in the winter if they had chance as they would need more to survive the cold they go on a killing spree just before breeding to fatten themselves up to breeding condition then the female sparrow hawk doesn’t kill while sitting eggs and the male will nit take pigeons only blackbirds ect but young peregrines that do not breed in there first year have become expert killers and will kill all year around the months the parents kill the most is late july august trying to keep up with feeding there nest and then start teaching there youngsters which will them become hunters themselves and continue to survive by killing every couple of days there is around 1500 breeding pairs in the uk each pair at least turning out two chicks each i think the only way forward to stand any chance of limiting there numbers would be to allow the legal take of youngsters out the nest and stop putting up un natural nest in cities.a lot of countries would take a good few youngsters every year as there as been a shortage of birds bred in captivity with most being flown out to the middle east i do not think they will ever allow a cull but legal take might be a better option to start at least reducing numbers

If, for any reason, we are able to reduce prey during these months, there is a chance that less peregrine YB's will reach adulthood. We are making it easy for them to learn to hunt. Yes, they will still be there during October / November, but if their food source is reduced they will increase their territories to hunt for their varied diet. This will cause territory wars and they will eat their own if necessary. This could be one weapon in our arsenal, but it cannot be the only one. :)

What a lot of crap expletive remove

There are ways to try and control hawkes ,everyone has to play there part it’s out of control charity begins at home something has to be done,regarding YB losses sickness & virus on at top of the list,controlling nobody talking to one another, clashing is another part of it.I think the birds are dehydrated before they are liberated,a lot of the birds are never basket trained fanciers have to look in the mirror.This is true some fanciers have said this to each other OB was a bad season YB is a shambles .racing pigeons passageway in narrowing each year,The hawkes went 3 fold when we joined eu DDT was banned that kept the hawkes population down made them sterile.A good friend of mine traines 2 feds Ob& YB with success he is training about 1.200 very low losses as I have seen myself Percy is taking a bird out back of the pack,and the birds don’t even know it happened,fanciers don’t train on there own maybe one or two that about it,never ever seen losses like this before and a lot is the fanciers to blame most of it is man made,breeding to many pigeons to be left with a handful for the following year.

Some have had success training latebreds in October / November. Others say breed earlier, race earlier, so our YB's are not a food source in July / August. Early breeding means working against nature because there is not the light required to raise young, so we would require to provide that light. Later breeding for October / November YB racing would at least mean there was natural light. :)

[/

To be honest hawkes is only one part of our prob, yes have a go sickness virus controlling dehydration before they are liberated this will not help birds some don’t drink to they home.This happens with old birds to.Fanciers everyone apart from the hawkes, most of our prob man made100% percent.

To be honest hawkes is only one part of our prob, yes have a go sickness virus controlling dehydration before they are liberated this will not help birds some don’t drink to they home.This happens with old birds to.Fanciers everyone apart from the hawkes, most of our prob man made100% percent.