Sparrowhawk

Mossgiel

Like most fanciers I have been plagued by Peregrines / Sparrowhawks for the best part of 20 years. My birds have been shut in since September last year and I started letting them out 15th March this year. The birds have been allowed their freedom for 1 hour a day and whilst out I stand at the loft conscious of a bop attack. During this period I have had one bird killed after a sparrowhawk chased it from the roof of the loft [ a neighbour handed in the leg of the bird with the ring still intact, about a week later ]. Another bird has disappeared during this period?? The last two evenings, while I was stood 8 feet in front of the loft the hen sparrowhawk attacked the birds in front of the loft, completely ignoring me standing only feet away!! They seem to have little fear of humans when they are focused on an attack. My birds are so on edge, that I have decided to shut them in for a while and hopefully the hawk will go to nest during this period ??

Same here in Harthill it never seems to stop , latest attack on Sunday hens were out a couple landed on the garden sparrowhawk came between me and the loft very low luckily it did not get any , but lost a yearling cock last week owing to attack . Just about had enough and not even starting training or racing yet Harthill area is bad at present with increased sightings and attacks by b o p be very aware if you plan training along the m8 corridor

They have no fear as you say,a few years ago I was sat on a chair against the loft while waiting for the race birds I had two trappers on the loft when the s/hawk attacked.One bird flew off and the other went between my back and the loft and the hawk followed it I could feel the hawk against my back. The bird got under the loft and the hawk was under the chair I moved the chair but was too slow to get it.The pigeon stayed under the loft for a good hour before coming out.

Like most fanciers I have been plagued by Peregrines / Sparrowhawks for the best part of 20 years. My birds have been shut in since September last year and I started letting them out 15th March this year. The birds have been allowed their freedom for 1 hour a day and whilst out I stand at the loft conscious of a bop attack. During this period I have had one bird killed after a sparrowhawk chased it from the roof of the loft [ a neighbour handed in the leg of the bird with the ring still intact, about a week later ]. Another bird has disappeared during this period?? The last two evenings, while I was stood 8 feet in front of the loft the hen sparrowhawk attacked the birds in front of the loft, completely ignoring me standing only feet away!! They seem to have little fear of humans when they are focused on an attack. My birds are so on edge, that I have decided to shut them in for a while and hopefully the hawk will go to nest during this period ??

its the same over this side of the hill . you must fight back . certainly give the birds a rest , to break the chain of attacks .

Had a 3yo hen killed a wk past sunday and a ylg hen last night after saving a ylg cock which was nailed or should I say slammed into the front of the loft.

I was only sitting about 12 feet away and went over with the hawk wrestling with it feathers everywhere and they both managed to whack themselves against a nearby metal bath sitting under a table. I have a 6 ft floor for a shed leaning on the table and the pigeon managed to get under there into the far corner just before the hawk was gonna nail it again but I got too close and the sparrow hawk yet again got away!

I've had 3 other near misses with one hen out hiding all night.

No matter what I do it's the same every year!

mine haven't been out since November after a female sparrowhawk made a relentless attack on the birds, after rescuing one i noticed after a while i was still one missing and sure enough the hawk had got hold of another, both birds survived but i am keeping mine in until may just to be sure.