Defra - Rpra Meeting Rearranged

Delboy

The meeting to discuss Avian Flu and the licence to race pigeons between DEFRA and the RPRA was meant to take place at 2pm today but has been rearranged to sometime in week starting 19th April..

DEFRA are doing a Risk assessment (which is not yet complete) and will look at potentially reinstating the general licence but this will NOT be before 1st May 2021... taken from Facebook

Edited by Delboy

Earlier this morning I was informed that the meeting scheduled for this afternoon had been cancelled. I am sure this will be a great disappointed to you all as it is to me. However, a DEFRA representative has taken the time to speak to me and as a result I am able to provide the following update; Defra has commissioned a risk assessment (currently not completed) that will be used to decide when to reinstate the General license. The option to do this on a staged approach starting with species considered a lower risk (such as Racing Pigeons) is still an option being considered. The General license will not be reinstated prior to 30th April. This means that Racing can not take place before this date and will be permitted at the earliest, from 1st May 2021 The meeting has now been rearranged for some time week commencing 19th April 2021 (time and date to be confirmed). I will keep you updated with any developments. In the meantime multi loft training (more than one loft) also remains banned. Ian Evans CEO

EU ANIMAL HEALTH REGULATIONS – CHANNEL RACING

09/04/2021

The following is an update in relation to the correspondence between the RPRA and the Directorate General Sante of the EU.

The correspondence below will demonstrate that we are no closer to achieving a position that will facilitate channel racing but that we are doing everything we can to achieve this position.

We will continue to keep you updated.

CEO’s reply to DG Sante dated 8th April 2021

Dear Mr Van Goethem, Thank you for the latest reply. Your time and assistance in this matter is very much appreciated.

Please would you provide a little more of your time to answer the following questions.

I accept that the provisions of article 2016/429 require the movement into the union to be as stringent as the movement between member states. However, the current position is that the requirements of regulation 2020/692 and therefore movement into the union, are far more stringent for Racing Pigeons transported for the purpose of racing. The articles within the regulation make it impossible to move racing pigeons into France and other EU member states. What we are trying to achieve is parity in relation to the requirements associated with the movement of racing pigeons into the union and the movement between member states. i.e. parity between regulations 2020/688 and 2020/692. We are attempting to achieve this aim for the same reasons that the representatives from members states lobbied for amendments to regulation 2020/688 in relation to racing pigeons. Please note we are not asking for any amendments relating to the permanent import of racing pigeons from the UK but for the purpose of racing and therefore the temporary ‘import’ of pigeons that are released to fly back to the UK – a non-commercial process that has happened for one hundred years without any negative impact on health.

These amendments include:

1. Removing the requirement of the 21 day isolation period for pigeons being transported for the purpose of racing

2. Removing the requirement for a Health certificate, endorsed/signed by a veterinarian appointed by the competent authority and replacing this with an owners declaration.

Will regulation 2020/692 also be amended to reflect the requirement for racing pigeons contained within regulation 2020/688 and therefore be as stringent as those contained within regulation 688 ? If not could you explain why? What is the rational behind the difference in approach?

I am aware that the current discussions in relation to derogation’s relate to article 61 and not article 62. However, Article 62 states that derogation’s can be achieved in relation to articles 3 to 10, 11 to 19 and 53 to 61; if the third country is specifically listed for the entry into the Union based a equivalent guarantees. This suggest that derogation relating to the health certification and housing requirements prior to movement can be achieved.

How are such derogation’s achieved ? Is this an application to the commission from the UK Government? Are these derogation’s something that member states can apply ?

Finally, thank you for confirming how the transition period will work. Given that regulation 2013/139 made racing pigeons exempt from such certification processes when transported for the purpose of racing; I am not aware of any existing certificates for this purpose. Therefore, how can we be expected to comply with the new requirements by using non-existent certificates ?

I am assured that the UK competent authority has made an initial written request to the commission in respect of the new AHL but to date they have not received a reply.

In the meantime I would be grateful if you could find the time to reply to my questions

Thank you

Ian

DG Sante reply to CEOs email previously published

Dear Mr Evans,

As regards your question on the approach of current and future rules, please note that according to the provisions of Regulation (EC) 2016/429 (Animal Health Law – AHL) the rules for entry into the Union should be as stringent as those for the movement between Member States. Therefore, since there are rules for the movement of racing pigeons between Member States, racing pigeons are also included in the scope of Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/692 for the entry into the Union.

As regards the amendment of Regulation (EU) 2020/692, please note that the discussions in relation to racing pigeons relate to the provisions of Article 61, not Article 62. In that respect, we are considering the possibility for a derogation, under certain conditions, from the obligation that racing pigeons are kept in an approved quarantine establishment for 30 days. It will be, therefore, up to the competent authority of Member States to assess on a case by case if the specific conditions for allowing for such a derogation apply.

Finally, as regards your question on a transitional period, please note that AHL and Regulation (EU) 2020/692 will apply as of
. Therefore, as of that date racing pigeons should comply with the rules laid down therein.

The transitional period until October 2021 refers to the certificates that should accompany the animals for their entry into the Union. In particular, the draft implementing regulation laying down the certificates for terrestrial animals provides that during that period animal should be accompanied by the certificates applicable

I understand that this issue is complex. I would, therefore, urge you to contact the competent authorities of the United Kingdom for any further information needed.

B. Van Goethem

Derek, some officials down south are talking about no channel racing even next year. Some of the Yorkshire federations are discussing sending their youngsters north due to the possible outcomes of future years. We need to run the coast from Battle to Weymouth hoping to have access to Guernsay either this year on in the future. Better than nothing!

Derek, some officials down south are talking about no channel racing even next year. Some of the Yorkshire federations are discussing sending their youngsters north due to the possible outcomes of future years. We need to run the coast from Battle to Weymouth hoping to have access to Guernsay either this year on in the future. Better than nothing!

I agree, its a terrible state of affairs. I'm hoping we get a few Guernseys/ Jerseys though, if it goes that way.

Earlier this morning I was informed that the meeting scheduled for this afternoon had been cancelled. I am sure this will be a great disappointed to you all as it is to me. However, a DEFRA representative has taken the time to speak to me and as a result I am able to provide the following update; Defra has commissioned a risk assessment (currently not completed) that will be used to decide when to reinstate the General license. The option to do this on a staged approach starting with species considered a lower risk (such as Racing Pigeons) is still an option being considered. The General license will not be reinstated prior to 30th April. This means that Racing can not take place before this date and will be permitted at the earliest, from 1st May 2021 The meeting has now been rearranged for some time week commencing 19th April 2021 (time and date to be confirmed). I will keep you updated with any developments. In the meantime multi loft training (more than one loft) also remains banned. Ian Evans CEO

not looking good as it will be bottom of their list to do a risk assessment other wording for this is fob them of hope we get some short racing later at least