Just Been Told Of The

old friend Hugh Martin Hugh had been fighting cancer for a number of years but never let it get him down a fantastic flyer in his day flying as Martin and King in Shotts giving up the birds he moved to Motherwell and started helping old John King again with good results and john would have struggled without his help God Bless you Hugh RIP old pal

Really sorry to hear of the passing of great friend hughie martin,racing as MARTIN & KING of SHOTTS they were absolutely fantastic fanciers club fed and especially the national,as I 15 year old boy my mother asked me what to get my dad for his 40 th birthday, my dad had been reading the gazette and a report on the above partnership winning the LSC GOLD CUP 1982 and I said a youngster from these crack fanciers,after a few enquiries the next day we set off in mums wee allegro to 180 shots Kirk rd and were shown across the road to the lofts,Hugh welcomed me into the dookit and I was shown and handled the lofts champions which I can still remember,Hugh only had two latebreds in the loft which were off the hen which would eventually win a SNFC gold award " five times a lady",Hugh wanted to keep them but being the guy he was offered me the pick and I choose a beautiful blue pied hen,Hugh did not want any payment but we eventually agreed a small fee,the hen turned out a cracker and bred us a hen to score at Rennes three times,we would over the years swap youngsters with Hugh and he was always on hand to offer me advice about feeding and preparation,I had not spoken to Hugh for some years until recently where I met him at the race marking at uddingston where we had a smashing chat about the old days!

Hugh was a great fancier but more importantly he was a great guy,thoughts are with Hugh's family at this really sad time.rip Hugh.

John Hood.