Pigeonbasics Forum: Stoats And Raptors - Pigeonbasics Forum

Page 1 of 1

Stoats And Raptors

#1 User is offline   DBA421 Icon

• Hatchling
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 1 February 2021 - 13:12 PM

Definite increase in both. Two male Stoats in loft killed one bird before the problem was solved. Sparrow-hawks are killing a pigeon a day that my wife feeds then the buzzards are attacking the Sparrow-hawks and taking the carcass. Has anyone else have this problem.

#2 User is offline   JCN Icon

• Squeaker
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Club:Ayrshire

Posted 1 February 2021 - 13:24 PM

Lost 2 race hens last weekend so birds are now locked up.
It definitely came as a shock as never been bothered much before by raptors at my loft

#3 User is offline   andy Burgess Icon

• TOP GUN
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin Team
  • LocationScottish Borders
  • Club:Earlston & d.h.s.

Posted 1 February 2021 - 14:23 PM

View PostDBA421, on 1 February 2021 - 13:12 PM, said:

Definite increase in both. Two male Stoats in loft killed one bird before the problem was solved. Sparrow-hawks are killing a pigeon a day that my wife feeds then the buzzards are attacking the Sparrow-hawks and taking the carcass. Has anyone else have this problem.

since moving here i have been plagued with the above lost dozens of birds . stock birds and former fed toppers all had heads removed leaving most bodies on the floor . with around 30 youngsters flying out , lost the odd 1 in the loft with same results . nightmare gets worse , due to the attacks majority of young would not trap . although after 3 days on a neighbours roof they would home in due to hunger . that happened on 3 occasions . leaving a week to gain there confidence again . however doing a head count after each event 2 or 3 missing each time . clearly taken by hawks .now down to 17 birds , not been out for months now . having to screw the inner mesh door shut each day . trap and vents sealed over to prevent entry . remaining stock birds in the caravan .
"north wales novice" no longer .

#4 User is online   tommy bhoys Icon

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Club:blantyre greenfield hamilton independent SNFC

Posted 1 February 2021 - 14:54 PM

View PostDBA421, on 1 February 2021 - 13:12 PM, said:

I have four Lakeland terriers and I keep on top of the rodents that kill my birds not lost a bird since I started letting them out at Crimbo time got two feral pigeons that feed in the chicken coop they let me know when a new rodent is about

#5 User is offline   andy Burgess Icon

• TOP GUN
  • Icon

Posted 1 February 2021 - 21:00 PM

View Postandy Burgess, on 1 February 2021 - 14:23 PM, said:

since moving here i have been plagued with the above lost dozens of birds . stock birds and former fed toppers all had heads removed leaving most bodies on the floor . with around 30 youngsters flying out , lost the odd 1 in the loft with same results . nightmare gets worse , due to the attacks majority of young would not trap . although after 3 days on a neighbours roof they would home in due to hunger . that happened on 3 occasions . leaving a week to gain there confidence again . however doing a head count after each event 2 or 3 missing each time . clearly taken by hawks .now down to 17 birds , not been out for months now . having to screw the inner mesh door shut each day . trap and vents sealed over to prevent entry . remaining stock birds in the caravan .

thank you for the phone call Dougie , information given is much appreciated :pidge:

#6 User is offline   THE FIFER Icon

• ADMIN
  • Icon
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationFIFE
  • Club:Leven HS

Posted 2 February 2021 - 19:55 PM

are there crows near you Andy as thats what usually happen with them heads off, as the crow can only hold a pigeon by the neck and the bird struggles
THE FIFER (ADMIN)

forum@pigeonbasics.com

�� NOTICE

DELEGATES ARE MESSENGERS

#7 User is offline   andy Burgess Icon

• TOP GUN
  • Icon

Posted 2 February 2021 - 21:29 PM

View PostTHE FIFER, on 2 February 2021 - 19:55 PM, said:

are there crows near you Andy as thats what usually happen with them heads off, as the crow can only hold a pigeon by the neck and the bird struggles

there are 2 big flocks of crows here FIFER . however they are not the predator in this case .

#8 User is offline   andy Burgess Icon

• TOP GUN
  • Icon

Posted 8 February 2021 - 16:14 PM

View Postandy Burgess, on 1 February 2021 - 21:00 PM, said:

thank you for the phone call Dougie , information given is much appreciated :pidge:

i have finally acquired a new fenn trap ,fingers crossed for the future .

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Advert: B.Leefe & Sons
  • Advert: Apex Garden Buildings
  • Advert: Racing Pigeon Supplies
  • Advert: Solway Feeders