Channel Racing

Delboy

The impact of Brexit on Channel racing has been a concern for Pigeon fanciers all around the UK. The required health documentation and processes relating to the import and export of the avian species, published since Brexit has increased these concerns. The relevant EU regulation that covers the transportation of the Avian species from third countries (countries from outside of the EU) into a European Union member state is 2013/139. 'The following has been extracted from the regulation; This Regulation shall apply to animals of the avian species. However, it shall not apply to: (f) racing pigeons which are introduced to the territory of the Union from a neighbouring third country where they are normally resident and then immediately released with the expectation that they will fly back to that third country;' Nevertheless, I considered it prudent to seek confirmation from the relevant authority than no additional health documentation is required . I am pleased to communicate that I have received confirmation from the Centre for International Trade, (via the APHA) that pigeons transported to an EU state are exempt from the requirements that have caused so much concern. The reply is quoted below 'Your understanding is correct; effectively there is no change to the requirements. Retained EU Regulation 139/2013 [1] does exclude racing pigeons in the scope in Article 2, and no additional documentation would be required. There is just a change to our country status from a member state to ‘neighbouring third country’. I am sure members will be pleased to read this confirmation. Please note that this relates to the transportation of pigeons for racing purposes and not the permanent import of pigeons from the EU. In this respect I am still seeking further clarification and will update members as soon as I am in receipt of such information. In addition to the above I am also aware of information circulating relating to vehicle emissions. I have seen social media posts that suggest there is a blanket ban on vehicles, that don't meet certain emission requirements, travelling in France. This is not true. However, there are currently a limited amount of low emission zones with certain restrictions; we will publish information shortly outlining where these emission zones exist. Ian Evans CEO

• 5 months later...

I am conscious that it has been over 5 weeks since my last update. Therefore, I wanted to update members in terms of actions and strategy. Long Term Objectives It has been widely publicised that the new EU Animal Health regulation (2020/692) makes it virtually impossible to facilitate racing from the continent. With this in mind our attention has to be focused on a long term solution that can only be achieved by an amendment to this regulation. Therefore, a petition has been drafted with a view to petitioning the EU commission to amend the relevant regulation/ rules of moving pigeons from the UK into the continent for the purpose of racing. I am aware of an EU petition circulating on social media that has received a great deal of support from UK pigeon fanciers and their families. However, this petition will not help our cause as it focuses on the movement of pigeons between members states and not Third Countries. Furthermore, it is my understanding that only EU citizens can petition the commission and that petitions can only be raised by organisations based within the EU. As a result, we have approached the FCI for their assistance.. This petition will be circulated to the national racing pigeon bodies of EU member states, to publicise wide and far among their members and request their support. In addition I have met with representatives of the NFC and BICC who are keen to help. They are currently approaching EU based Lobbying organisation to identify suitability and to establish cost. Short Term Objectives As previously publicised the EU commission agreed to a transitional period before implementing the new regulation. However, during the transitional period member states can apply their own rules in relation to the movement of racing pigeons from Third Countries. The current rules being implemented by the French Authorities are as onerous as those contained within the EU regulation 2020/692. A supportive French Senator will be raising a question, aimed at helping the short term movement into France, at the French Senate on 13th July. Despite the assistance of the FCI and numerous emails to other EU countries; we have been unable to establish the rules of moving pigeons into other EU countries during the transitional period. All Party Parliament Group (APPG) The Chair of the APPG will once again be writing to the DEFRA Minister, highlighting the issues and requesting assistance in negotiating a solution. This letter will be published in due course. Ian Evans CEO

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I received a draft copy of proposed amendments to the new EU Animal Health Law. You may recall at the start of the year my communication highlighted the possibility within the regulations for derogation's (Exemptions) under article 62. The draft amendment does include proposed derogation's that IF approved, would be a huge step towards achieving continental racing in 2022. I must stress that there is still a long way to go. The RPRA will continue to work with DEFRA, FCI and other European colleagues and friends to hopefully achieve the desired outcome. Ian Evans CEO