Crawford/abington

andy

I can remember it and I'm sure the name was Montgomery the loft was on the right side the old A74 heading south

I can remember it and I'm sure the name was Montgomery the loft was on the right side the old A74 heading south

your right john Montgomery Bros and they won the national into there they owned the Abington hotel the pigeon was called spot old peter moved to Burnbank and was a Burnbank member for years his brother Andy moved to Hamilton to a small BB and kept pigeons there but did not race them

Forgot to add the loft was slightly south of Abington

Think that's it and I still can see George telling me the story of the mealy cock,he flew with brother Alec into glenboig and the lofts sat in the field near where the gas tanks are now,the brothers fancied the cock and had it all pooled winning over 700 quid!!! The brothers bought a brand new estate car each and then a fortnights holiday in bournmouth with the family and on the return home both mrs fowlers bought new curtains for the houses!!! Some money in those days,had some great times with George who could still time a good Rennes bird well into his 80s,he was the first fancier to lift the phone to me and my dad offering congratulations to ourselves when we were lucky enough to win the section from the gold cup.

Can still see George sitting at Jackie herds loft with a cup of tea and his old school shirt and tie on,great memories. :partick-thistle-Crest:

Cheers all for replying, I was working in the area and something in the back of my mind told me there was a fancier in halcyon days who flew here. I must’ve read about it or it was talked about in company as my pigeon career didn’t start until late 1975.