Skyleader Gps Experiment North Of Scotland Fed Members Please Read

Simonmurray4747

hi folks, this is really a post for any members of the North of Scotland fed, i have came up with a idea that I'd be interested in trying out that might interest some fanciers in my fed. I have had skyleader gps rings for few years and have used them few times and the info you get it great to see how birds are getting home. I won't bore you with all the details now I will do that to any one interested in trying this out. Us folk in inverness have it tough with our location. We are furthest west and have a big bloody mountain in the way for a more simple line of flight. So we often wonder how do our birds come home.i have used them on my birds before and the results were impressive all birds are different! To cut a long story short I thought of the idea of looking for 4 fanciers from the North of Scotland fed that would like to be part of this experiment. Basically 5 different birds from 5 different towns put a ring on one of there steady consistant birds and we sort a day between us to pick them up and release the 5 from a agreed point, get birds back send rings back to me and ill download the information and we can have a look at were each bird from each club is getting home, what direction they coming etc etc. Skyleader is very impressive what it shows shows height speed time and all of it on Google earth so u can see exactly where that birds been. If successful we can do more tests and who knows this could be a benefit to every single one of us. Any one intrested and wants to see what i mean pm me. Thanks for reading

Simon

Good idea..

We should really be doing a lot more of this stuff to help understand bad races, bad lib points etc

Yeah mate if the birds ran into hawks then this would tell us due to what they are doing in the sky it does work people need to think of the greater good or the sport and eyes in the sky at some level surely we will learn from it. I'm happy to try this and share all results on here

thats why 5 just be perfect number to hopefully by pass the hawks and see how they come home. Of course u need the ring back to read the info! So its a risk for me. But good consistant birds will make it and only sending 5 shpuld help lessen a hawk attack

Am up for it, how much does the rings cost? Where do you get them from?

The whole set up was 350 rings them self are about 80 pounds each I think i bought my whole set up of amazon. If ypur up for the test great that 2 people intrested need two more would like someone from Elgin area

I think i have four people now folks thanks for the interest, let me make a plan. Everyone who's messaged me I will be in touch later. I will need everyone's location so I can look at a map and decide a good lib site that be suitable for us all for the first try of it. If sucessful I got a system for my club mate too so could have access to 10 rings. What I would say is if every club invested in a set up then you could base it at club House so then everyone would have access to it and only really would need to do is buy a pack of rings..all u need is a laptop to down load the info from the rings and thats it. Good to go.

This was a recent one put on Facebook - one thought to have been hit by bird of prey - think there's two others different colours taking a more direct line

Yes the difference colours are the different pigeons its a very good bit of kit either chased or seen a oil rig and ranged round it haha

Great forward thinking idea well done .IMO though the SHU should be contributing to the cost of this and possibly FED .Its only a week or two ago that fowk were on here bemoaning all aspects of losses of young birds i would also include old birds .Going down this route suggested it would give us some insight to where the birds go .

Great idea. It will be really interesting to see the results.

Thank you. I will keep everyone up to date when we do it

Great forward thinking idea well done .IMO though the SHU should be contributing to the cost of this and possibly FED .Its only a week or two ago that fowk were on here bemoaning all aspects of losses of young birds i would also include old birds .Going down this route suggested it would give us some insight to where the birds go .

Thanks mate. Yes I think for the future of the sport we need to try something different. Its so big in Asia they race most bkrds with the rings on! It has helped them spot bad lib sites hawk attacks you name it.

• 2 weeks later...

i agree there,i think the fed should look into your suggestion .a few pounds spent wisely may save a lot of problems later on .who knows it may show up some hot spots to avoid.good idea simon