This Year Racing, young Birds,

THE FIFER

Can't really use my season as a guide but sent 11 to Hexham with Lanarkshire and only got one home on day plus one reported dead and one came home a couple of weeks later ,

They were well schooled in basket but only trained out to around ten miles . Were they ill and I never noticed or just bad luck ?.

Started training 30 disposed of two when had YBS... Had about a dozen private tosses then 5/6 group tosses from 30 miles, raced out to 170 miles with federation and 5/6 midweek races from 46 miles.

Left with 10 of the 30.

Some guys stop birds but I race them out... having no stock pigeons and only look to keep 8/10 pairs old birds I can't afford to stop any and only want to breed from the survivors.

Our federation had couple of real bad races and my view is that something must change regards route/Race points time of year but that's a whole other debate.

As for results I had a few prize cards here and there. Performing well percentage wise. I'm not sending ybs to win as such more to discard the weak ones and educate and strengthen the others.

View going forward will be same again but probably did throw a couple away at the final race that had gone in moult etc but if they had guts and brains they'd be here.

I started the season with 57 yb ended it with 30 I stopped my naturals at 157 miles I stopped my cocks at 180 miles then sent 6 hens to Newark and won the fed open and sent the 6 to snfc young bird national timing 5 in the clock and other one was there in the morning a very good young bird season for myself.

I started the season with 57 yb ended it with 30 I stopped my naturals at 157 miles I stopped my cocks at 180 miles then sent 6 hens to Newark and won the fed open and sent the 6 to snfc young bird national timing 5 in the clock and other one was there in the morning a very good young bird season for myself.

apart from the losses a good season

started with 24 ybirds 1 despatched 23 trained out to25miles about 12 times then all sent to lanarkshire hexam 2 21 retuned well then had another 12'14 tosses from25miles same place same time in batches of 7 and no late birds all back by the time i got home, didnt bother racing with all the goings on and quite frankly did not miss it might be different next year when they are asked the question but i was my own controller and i did alright no hassles going on my own this time

Started the season with 41 young birds and trained often from 10miles up to 30miles. When the first race started got 5th Club, second race 7th place, third race 7th and then had a bad case of young bird sickness so could not race one weekend to get them better, the 5th race I went ahead and raced got a 1st club 14th Fed and finally the last race which was tough flying from Sedgefield to Fraserburgh I got 11th club. Ended the season with 17 YBS yes I know lots gone. It was tough.

Bred 76 lost 59 in training never had a yb race this year. Telephone rings not worth a jot as had bird from the stray centre returned without a call

fellow club members decimated as well one clubmate 107 short , another 32 short . bottom line is this area is f**ked with some of the worst racing/training ever.

Started training 44 down to 18 miles

Then put them on transporter training at 45 miles took them all day to work into Moffat dropped 7

They then went to Appleby transporter training then first four federation races when I stopped my naturals ,Darkies had wetherby/Worksop

Ended with 25

Took 3 x 1st club 1st open federation and 1st federation gold ring

Good team to carry forward for 2021

Review of the season, well I hope you are all keeping safe.It has certainly been a trying year, not just for racing.

At one point we did not know if we were going to be able to race.But we got there in the end, a little later than normal.But with restrictions and some fanciers still, sheltering it has been a difficult season.

During lockdown the weather everyday was magnificent, lovely weekends.Ideal for racing but weather changed as the restrictions were eased.

Then we had the change in weather, but we got going again.Old birds racing came and went as fast as it came along.But youngbird Racing has certainly been trying this year, it’s been 2 years difficult racing for some.But from what I here the east side of the country going up north seems to been hit harder.

Our shows in the coming months have already been cancelled.But can understand the reasons why, they have been done.

We have again had some great feedback from lads who have had kits.Or have had stock from me, which have gone on to win or breed scorers.I’m pleased to say we now got winners reported in Ireland.So be it in England Scotland Wales or Ireland, they are coming.

Be it club winners or Federation Winners or Combine winners.They have come good again this season.

We ended up with feedback during 2020 season

1st x 20

2nd x 21

started with 24 natural ybs 2 trainers at 6 mile moved on to 15 mile roughly 15 chucks one 20 miler then on the training van roughly 55 miles 3rd chuck in hit a stinker took all day to work in 6 out over night, must of had 9 or 10 of these chucks before first race which is 70 miles second race 70 miles third race 92 miles fourth race 120 miles then stopped for next year, lost 2 from the bad toss 1 after the first race when training 1 from the 3rd race, 1 hit wires disposed of, 1 training well but when let out in morning sitting out all day no good to anybody, prizes taken first race last second race 3rd 567th 3rd race second last 4th race 2nd won noms twice same pigeon still have 18 left, we were lucky loads of pigeons lost in those 4 races.

I had more than ever 41 weaned into two sections instead of 35

I lost 9 off the loft one Sunday out of the blue they had done 25 mins flying around the village then the team of 25 went didn't see a pigeon for 3 hours

Another went later when roaming a week so so later

I trained 17/18 times including 4 at 28 miles

I Lost 2 training

Anyway

I had 28 to race All that was left

After the first race I went training in the week had two with busted wings return home and 2 never returned I guess wires .

That left me

24 to race

I lost 2 ,culled 1 flew 6 races 15 birds to 6 races and 6 later May bred babies to 5 races and won 4 club races 2 fed races no darkness just on the normal natural system

Started training 63 young ones from 15 to 25 miles had 10 tosses before first race then whether permitting 3 tosses 25 mile each week first race 61/63 second race 60/61 3 race 48/60 4th race 5th race 10/15 6th 7/11 left with 30 young birds all darkness possion 1st race 1.2.3.8.9.10 2nd race 1.2.3.4.5.6.7. 3rd race 6.7.9.10.11 4th race 1.2.3.4.5 6th race 1st won 5/6 races

• 1 month later...

Was going through the youngbirds today and very pleased with the ones we are left with,had 26 young birds at the start and by the time racing started we had 5 birds missing,we lost 3 birds at the two kelso races,3 between the two Hexham races and all home sedgefield and the last race ripon,a further youngster was lost exercising around the loft after the season end,we were lucky enough to win 2 firsts,3 seconds and also 3 thirds with our small team and also yb ave.

The birds had 12 tosses before the racing from 16 miles and no training after,John mac had them out most afternoons exercising.was lucky to have some excellent incommers in the team from crack fanciers in central Scotland and Essex and timed these birds most weeks,most of the youngsters after race 2 and 3 paired up although they were not encouraged.

So a wee summery started racing with 21 birds and ended up with 14 raced and only 3 birds lost over 100 miles,and all home at 140 and 170 miles.so hopefully a few decent yearlings will come through 2021. :partick-thistle-Crest:

Was going through the youngbirds today and very pleased with the ones we are left with,had 26 young birds at the start and by the time racing started we had 5 birds missing,we lost 3 birds at the two kelso races,3 between the two Hexham races and all home sedgefield and the last race ripon,a further youngster was lost exercising around the loft after the season end,we were lucky enough to win 2 firsts,3 seconds and also 3 thirds with our small team and also yb ave.

The birds had 12 tosses before the racing from 16 miles and no training after,John mac had them out most afternoons exercising.was lucky to have some excellent incommers in the team from crack fanciers in central Scotland and Essex and timed these birds most weeks,most of the youngsters after race 2 and 3 paired up although they were not encouraged.

So a wee summery started racing with 21 birds and ended up with 14 raced and only 3 birds lost over 100 miles,and all home at 140 and 170 miles.so hopefully a few decent yearlings will come through 2021. :partick-thistle-Crest:

Did you have them on the dark ?

ame='alec guinness' date='21 November 2020 - 22:25 PM' timestamp='1605997500' post='1245988']

Only 6 ?

What dates and times mate ?

I tried it for the first time this year...

I take them off the darkness first week in June ( usually first inland national weekend) usually 6th or 7th. Darkened 6 pm with a couple of wee boards and taken off before I go to work about 7 am. :partick-thistle-Crest: