Has The Time Come To Stop

JohnQuinn

Just thinking out the box her

If all feds had one loft full of unrung pigeons that are treated as racers and took to the race point and released 1hr before the rest with good paint on there backs this would clear the road home for the rest of the fed after 1 season they would need to be well bred and trained and a £1 week of all members to keep them in the best of feed

Well said tam that is the one an only answer lets get it done .

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on ,I've said it for yrs every fed have a donor loft with 200 ybs trained out to 30 miles radius of the loft them raced every Saturday, 2 seasons and we could enjoy yb racing again with the birds hitting towns and villages in batches again, never mind hiding hoping it'll get better the season is short enough without racing and educating the ybs only my opinion

If all feds had one loft full of unrung pigeons that are treated as racers and took to the race point and released 1hr before the rest with good paint on there backs this would clear the road home for the rest of the fed after 1 season they would need to be well bred and trained and a £1 week of all members to keep them in the best of feed

Now you are talking. We know the problems and are running away from them.Don’t race ybs!!!, don’t test them!!!.Next thing is the Gold cup will be a f kin inland race!!!. Let’s get the problem sorted lads , NOW ,before it’s too late. We are going back the way in the sport nowadays.

Now you are talking. We know the problems and are running away from them.Don’t race ybs!!!, don’t test them!!!.Next thing is the Gold cup will be a f kin inland race!!!. Let’s get the problem sorted lads , NOW ,before it’s too late. We are going back the way in the sport nowadays.

This is staring us in the face and has to happen now I've already let some latebreds hatch that wouldn't normally have been taken shame they won't reach there potential.

Regards racing ybs in West of Scotland, a look at bringing the federations together for second half of the oldbird season and thus freeing up transportation to start our ybs racing on the same weekends is definitely another option that should be looked into instead of sending them down the road at the height of raptor activity.

Racing out to Dunbar etc is fine and well but to me that's giving into the problem and not being able then to fully enjoy a full programme.

For the forty years i have raced the choice has always been there for me to chose whether to race my young birds or not,don't see why it should change now !!

Forty years ago fanciers bred a dozen youngbirds an had 10 left at end off the season after racing the programme .I personally do not know 1 fancier that could possibly do this .so that's why we have to change because times have changed

Forty years ago fanciers bred a dozen youngbirds an had 10 left at end off the season after racing the programme .I personally do not know 1 fancier that could possibly do this .so that's why we have to change because times have changed

Undoubtedly things have changed but racing old or young is by choice and I have no wish to see that changed,whilst many fancier are losing birds in alarming numbers i am sure in many feds there will be a big difference in losses loft by loft as has always been the case

Undoubtedly things have changed but racing old or young is by choice and I have no wish to see that changed,whilst many fancier are losing birds in alarming numbers i am sure in many feds there will be a big difference in losses loft by loft as has always been the case

I only wish I could say the same but ybr racing is not one bit enjoyable were iam .not quite sure what fed your in but by the sounds off things are totally different we have 20 members in our club an only 7 sent this week an 1 them didn't time in.we are only at our 4th race at 98 ml .the only ones that are still going are mainly the guys that breed 100plus ybs a will leave it at that.enjoy the rest off your season BT the majority off ours are already finished.

Action needed NOW, not next week or next year. Too many coconuts running the game into the ground. For Gods sake, let’s get it sorted. Canny rely on anybody to do the right thing . We need the right guys at the top running things to save our sport. Not one union in the Uk helps the situation so we must save it ourselves.

Just read it very interesting .but what would affect be on pigeons ?

Its finding a balance I think. Keep them topped up so they can fly and home to the loft along your route etc. I dont think I would do it with my race birds but half a dozen spare doos, definitely worth a bit of effort, and if it works, bingo .....

The thing is Tam yer no thinking outside the box. For as long as I've been a member of this site this solution has been touted but at no time has it been followed through. The same fanciers on every thread on this subject shout about doing something about it but to my knowledge no one has contacted fanciers volunteering to man the loft and use it as proposed. Many claim to have "done their bit" without shread of evidence to prove it.

On that basis I would say that my post is thinking outside the box, the same old box people have been shouting about since methusila was a wean.

The thing is Tam yer no thinking outside the box. For as long as I've been a member of this site this solution has been touted but at no time has it been followed through. The same fanciers on every thread on this subject shout about doing something about it but to my knowledge no one has contacted fanciers volunteering to man the loft and use it as proposed. Many claim to have "done their bit" without shread of evidence to prove it.

On that basis I would say that my post is thinking outside the box, the same old box people have been shouting about since methusila was a wean.

A see what your saying john but the post is up to stop racing ybs but what is the reason why. An the reason why is perrigrines.so maybe should have another post .as how to save our ybs as derek says we are running away from the problem.as it is a hard thing to sort out but if we dont talk about it .ano talk is cheap but it is still better than doing nothing jmo.

This is staring us in the face and has to happen now I've already let some latebreds hatch that wouldn't normally have been taken shame they won't reach there potential.

Regards racing ybs in West of Scotland, a look at bringing the federations together for second half of the oldbird season and thus freeing up transportation to start our ybs racing on the same weekends is definitely another option that should be looked into instead of sending them down the road at the height of raptor activity.

Racing out to Dunbar etc is fine and well but to me that's giving into the problem and not being able then to fully enjoy a full programme.

Correct, spot on

If raptors are our problem and as we don’t race all the year round ,would it not be wise to ban any of our members from flying birds out during the closed season to starve the raptors as well as getting together in an effort to reduce feral pigeons in and around us .this would remove possible food source.

This season seems to have been about young bird losses and it’s not over—could there be another reason why our young birds not just in England but Scotland and Wales cannot navigate home .

My best returns were from early liberations ,could this be when most folk are still in bed and their mobile 5g phone is on charge,just a thought.

A see what your saying john but the post is up to stop racing ybs but what is the reason why. An the reason why is perrigrines.so maybe should have another post .as

how to save our ybs as derek says we are running away from the problem.as it is a hard thing to sort out but if we dont talk about it .ano talk is cheap but it is still better than doing nothing jmo.

Very true Kevin but my last point is that direct action has been spoken of for more than 10yrs that I know of. But nothing has come of it, no personal approaches away from the public eyes, not attempt to coordinate a sustained program of action over months or years.

The big problem with that is of course the illegality of it and the consequences if the person or people who step up to the plate get a visit from the police. Funding would be required to cover all the expense involved too, a loft big enough to hold a OLR to, feeding for the birds, fuel costs to cover “training†and a vehicle to carry out the training flights. All this can add up to a tidy sum of money and my experience of fanciers is 50p on the club/Fed dues can cause uproar. Then over a period of time the ones contributing, if they can be found, would build a resentment towards those not contributing to the experiment.

All in all I do not believe that the necessary measures are possible to have in place because of all of the above and if it was possible/easy to put together it would have happened a decade ago or possibly more.

My original post is really about the preservation of Ybs and the repeated losses en mass across the country. So whilst a direct approach is probably, if done correctly, would get the desired results if sustained long enough. But my experience of fanciers screams at me that this will Never, that’s NEVER happen. So to preserve the investment of our time our money and most importantly our birds then something that can much more easily be implemented and immediately get results because we would all have more yearlings in one season if we didn’t race our Ybs.

It’s every man’s prerogative to train his own birds in prep for racing as yearlings but liberating 5,000 Doos together and 1,000 or more don’t make their loft, then the following week another 1,000 don’t make it and so on must surely be brought to an end. ??

Very true Kevin but my last point is that direct action has been spoken of for more than 10yrs that I know of. But nothing has come of it, no personal approaches away from the public eyes, not attempt to coordinate a sustained program of action over months or years.

The big problem with that is of course the illegality of it and the consequences if the person or people who step up to the plate get a visit from the police. Funding would be required to cover all the expense involved too, a loft big enough to hold a OLR to, feeding for the birds, fuel costs to cover “training†and a vehicle to carry out the training flights. All this can add up to a tidy sum of money and my experience of fanciers is 50p on the club/Fed dues can cause uproar. Then over a period of time the ones contributing, if they can be found, would build a resentment towards those not contributing to the experiment.

All in all I do not believe that the necessary measures are possible to have in place because of all of the above and if it was possible/easy to put together it would have happened a decade ago or possibly more.

My original post is really about the preservation of Ybs and the repeated losses en mass across the country. So whilst a direct approach is probably, if done correctly, would get the desired results if sustained long enough. But my experience of fanciers screams at me that this will Never, that’s NEVER happen. So to preserve the investment of our time our money and most importantly our birds then something that can much more easily be implemented and immediately get results because we would all have more yearlings in one season if we didn’t race our Ybs.

It’s every man’s prerogative to train his own birds in prep for racing as yearlings but liberating 5,000 Doos together and 1,000 or more don’t make their loft, then the following week another 1,000 don’t make it and so on must surely be brought to an end. ??

John woke up this morning and your topic was the first thing that came into my head, agreed that young bird losses can’t be sustain but even if young bird racing was banned I am quite sure pigeon fanciers being pigeon fanciers ( and feds being feds ) would then find a way to extend the old bird season to make up for the loss of the young bird races ( not to mention loss of revenue for feds etc. ) therefore we would only end up feeding the peregrine more old birds. Don’t know if it’s to early in the morning for me but just a thought.