The Joe Murphy Column 19/6/20

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

During the lockdown I have been trying to find jobs to do to fill my days, my first task was to spit up the pairs and then clean out the nest boxes and loft, then I put up plywood to cover the nest boxes and then added ^ perches onto this providing perches for the birds. The cocks were moved to one section with the other holding the hens. There was no use continuing with the breeding season as we do not know when or if there would be any racing this season so what was the point in breeding late breds, every fancier in Brittan will have more pigeons than they care to house at the moment. As I only have a small stock loft then it made more sense to call it a halt and finish the season, I’ve never done this as early in my time with the pigeons. The birds have enjoyed having a bath twice a week and when we had some lovely sunny warm weather the birds did in enjoy these baths. I also spent a few weeks working in my garden and as I was in no hurry, took my time and passed away some hours. Last week I decided to undertake the task of tiding up our attic; over the years you just take items that are cluttering the house and instead of throwing them out you put them up the attic. My biggest problem was the amount of ‘pigeon books’ every bag or box had pigeon books or magazines in them. It took me days to get ALL the BHW Stud Books, Squills, Scotland Own, and Gazette Year books all in sequence. Then there were the Racing Pigeon Pictorials (I have them ALL from January 1970) with some extra, and I’m very proud of having ALL OF THESE, then there are the Gazette Monthly magazines which seem to go back to when Adam & Eve were first on the world. However there are some great write ups on top quality fanciers with some ‘brilliant’ perspectives of fanciers from yesteryear. (Maybe this is what took up so much of my time) as I would see a photograph of such and such and then read the story. I managed to get them all in sequence i.e. months and year dates and put them into boxes. I also found my write ups on my BHW / Sporting Challenge which I did in 2002 for 10 years and without being big headed this was a very special representative of pigeon racing in Scotland during this time. Many fanciers have told me how much they miss the presentation nights in the Hilcroft Hotel, as it was a very informal evening with fanciers from all over Scotland mixing together and friendships being formed that have lasted to the present day. The Sporting Challenge was something I’m proud to have been part of and its legacy will live forever within the annuals of our sport.

My grandson Conner with his catch see text.

My grandson Conner with his catch see text.JPG

TRAINING OF PIGEONS IN SCOTLAND 9 JUNE 2020

Following a meeting between the Management Committees of the SHU and the RPRA, due to the lack of response by the Scottish Government, despite our repeated requests, we have decided unrestricted training of racing pigeons in Scotland should commence with immediate effect provided that all the precautions which are laid out below are met

Training under current restrictions (Phase 1)

Individual member training from garden loft

Training of pigeons by members of SHU is mainly undertaken by single individual owners using their own private vehicle. The owner baskets his pigeons at the loft, drives to a release point and releases the birds then returns to the loft. There is no contact with any other person out with the household. Baskets must be sanitised before starting and when finished

Individual member training from compound

Where more than one loft is situated in the same area there is appropriate open space between each loft to carry out social distancing while basketting birds for training under current restrictions. Where there is a common entrance to the compound members are required to use appropriate sanitised wipes on surfaces of any door or gate handles and locks and keep to social distancing at all times

Group training

Organisers must arrange times and suitable pick-up points.

No more than two individuals (from separate households) to be at any pick-up point and social distancing to be practiced at all times (Phase 1 of Coronavirus strategy)

Any equipment or part of the vehicle that is handled during loading must be sanitised by the driver after the first member has stepped back from the vehicle and prior to the second member coming forward to load. Driver to repeat sanitising after each member has loaded his pigeons and after all baskets are loaded. The driver shall check baskets are properly loaded before driving to the next pick-up point. (Social distancing to be maintained at all times)

Driver should only leave the vehicle for the purpose of sanitising and to release the birds for the training flight

Provided that training is carried out properly and there are no unforeseen problems there should be no reason why racing does not commence when restrictions are further lifted when we move to the Scottish Government's Phase 2 lifting of restrictions

Remember that first and foremost the health and wellbeing of pigeon fanciers and the public is the most important consideration

Gordon Turnbull, B.E.M.

President Scottish Homing Union

Fisherman Conner

My grandson Conner who is 8 years old and whom we miss so much because of the coronavirus, often face times us. However not being able to visit him and the rest of the family has been a burden and we are ALL missing out on this very special time in his young life. However his dad took him to Balmule Valley Fishing area near Dunfermline and he sent us a photo, which I have included and you will see a ‘Happy’ wee boy, he caught 3 of the fish so his dad had to put up with some ‘ribbing’ from him.

Letter

Received a letter from Dennis O’Neal from Rainham in Essex who wrote, ‘Dear Joe, for years I love reading your column and write ups especially your jokes. I am 85 now but still go straight to your page when I get my Homing World. But last week I saw the same joke that was printed not so long ago, so I thought I would send you a couple of mine. I have hundreds of old jokes in my head since the school days. I don’t forget them, I read some classics that you put in the magazine, so good to cheer us up in these terrible times. I lost my wife just over a year ago and this isolation doesn’t help. I have a smashing family and good neighbours and I still race pigeons when we get started. So keep the jokes coming wishing you all the best Dennis. Sorry Dennis your jokes have been censored by the editor.

‘Joe’s Joke’

To all the woman who have to put up with us men throughout the year hear is a ‘Special Poem’

He didn’t like the casserole; he didn’t like my cake; he said my biscuits were too hard, not like the ones his mother used to make.

I didn’t percolate the coffee right; he didn’t like the stew; then I turned around and smacked him one…. Just like his mother used to do.

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or you can also view online editions on: www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.uk - www.Pigeonbasics.com - Pigeon Racing the Basics! - thecanadianpigeoninternational.com www.internationalracingpigeon.com or

https://sites.google...alracingpigeon/

Who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

© Compiled by Joe Murphy