Pigeon Racing

Bobby4

I was in bed when they went up. Son said when phoning later 'A lot of pigeons about, how long will it take them to get to Barnsley'?

I told about an hour and 20 minutes I guess, depending on wind, strengths and directions and location they are flying to. With no idea what he was on about. Looked on the internet later ... didn't see oat!

Often the Barnsley Fed - often with other fed, race 2-3 times or more from Kettering. Many, me included, the young birds, after a couple of weeks sitting in Baskets up on the loft roof, or such, on race days—this for being basket trained besides having a good look around, as was the norm. Then let out of the loft etc. their very first release from the Basket was being let up WITH the fed birds at Wickstead Park. 300 yards from me. Losses were very few in the least. Most youngsters were gone for a few hours. Some broke straight off however and went home—some even next day. Old boys said the later / evening arrivals made good early birds etc.

Now, the fact is also, and very real, when timing in from a race, the sky would be full of swirling pigeons - no need to say how the birds flew when release is there! We've nigh all seen a few liberations.

Now often amid thousands of circling birds going around in massive flocks, my, and all others fanciers' bird returning pigeons would cut straight through these swirling mass and time in. Just as if there were no birds in the sky at all. The worse scenario was an odd half to a circle or so. FACT!