Ybs Experiment

Darnaway

I originally posted on Facebook book the start of my YBS experiment but when family members started making comment on is that another photo of sh** that I was posting I realised it was probably better to post on pigeon basics

Day one I noticed on open g up the darkness youngsters that the youngsters immediately jumped to the floor to eat some grains ? On looking a bit closer I could see that one of the perches has grain that had been vomited and this was mixed with slimy droppings

I immediately made up some of the 335 mixture from

Colin and placed the made up water in all drinkers for old and young

That night against my better judgement I gave a small amount of chicken pellets and some turbo hydrate

Day 2 no vomiting and droppings have improved overnight , birds flew for 18 minutes and trapped as if their lives depended upon it , again they were fed some turbo hydrate but not their usual amount with my rational on giving the crop and digestive system a chance to recover

Day 3 no vomiting and birds are looking well, so far so good and will update on a daily basis plus will add some photos

My initial thoughts on YBS are simple , I believe that a virus impacts on the youngsters immune system which results in the tell tale signs of vomiting / holding food in the crop and the droppings going off

The next part of YBS is the real challenge as ultimately as the immune system is compromised it allows for the secondary infection to impact on the birds , now one year that could be cocci, the next it could be enteritis etc so the challenge is trying to identify what the underlying cause is hence why you here sometanciers say a certain product worked one year but not the next

These are only my thoughts and observations but thought they may be of interest to fellow fanciers during this covid pandemic

post-717-15898033882332_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Andy apologies I am posting via my phone it’s available from Colin McPeake and I believe it’s a homeopathic remedy and has the catch name of the “Real McCoy”

no need for apologies Andy . i was asking before all the others did lol . i will look it up , sounds like a good product to have "just in case" :pidge:

I have tried a hunner things....if 335 work stuck with it....I haven't made any break theu in stopping the YBS but I can tell you lots of things that it's not connected with or that doesn't work

Day 3 and both sections of youngsters looking good, no vomiting and droppings have improved but I need to take into account I am feeding them a lighter feed than normal which may have an impact on droppings due to the change

On reflection the section with 39 youngsters was vaccinated about two months ago and the younger team in the other section only last Thursday , the birds don’t mix but I am in and out of each of the sections , something to think about I would add some additional photos but not sure how to do that once the post has been started ?

Will post further update tomorrow , I have tried numerous things over the years and last year I ended up going to the vet for the first time in over 30 years and was given soluble amoxicillin which worked a treat but keen to avoid antibiotics where I can

they are advertising TRIDENT 3IN 1,waging war on YBS, in the BHW, anyone used it, not that i have the problem, fingers crossed ,this real McCoy sounds good,

Mine are on it now in the water and the feed , this is third time I have used it and my belief is it may not stop them catching it but helps prop up the immune system to fight it ,first time I used it I had a couple die but I wasn't putting on feed as well as water.

I used wonder pigeon last year and had a little something not sure what but it never came to anything but wonder pigeon is just too dear .

Having previously had Yb sickness for about the last 10 years ,2018 we decided to try Trident 3 in 1 from Phil Gardner who was very helpful 2018 ,2019 no Yb sickness .

I have tried it as well

NO M8, just see it advertised

Your the kind of guy that should answer some questions if you have never had YBS. What your doing or not doing compares to guys like me who always get it should rule things out

I have tried it as well

Your the kind of guy that should answer some questions if you have never had YBS. What your doing or not doing compares to guys like me who always get it should rule things out

sorry m8 I meant the treatment, yes had it once, it was a powder I got you put it on their food, dries them up

34.jpg

I have tried a hunner things....if 335 work stuck with it....I haven't made any break theu in stopping the YBS but I can tell you lots of things that it's not connected with or that doesn't work

c:mon dal tell us some of the stuff that doesnt work tae save us some cash ive not got it this year but only got 40 young birds down 80 on last year and these are in two lofts not on darkness either think stress plays a part would be nice tae know how many that have young bird sickness are on the darkness system

c:mon dal tell us some of the stuff that doesnt work tae save us some cash ive not got it this year but only got 40 young birds down 80 on last year and these are in two lofts not on darkness either think stress plays a part would be nice tae know how many that have young bird sickness are on the darkness system

I deliberately didn't darken my younguns this year Tommy.....got it just the same

ive gt a few lofts a 10x8 way 21 birds in it 12x4 way 19 birds in it tae be honest we are all guilty of having to many birds in the one loft thats another factor imo in getting ybs

So do you get it with those small numbers?

not so far dal but birds have plenty of room so fingers crossed. im gonnae try training these birds 3 times a day with no loft flying when the time comes

You will find out if its basket stress that causes it(its not) something else to rule out