Ybs Experiment

Darnaway

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I kńow many don't agree but I find bleach once a week in the drinker helps and I don't suffer like many fanciers I know

I don't breed early and don't fly darkness although I'm not saying this is the reason , my birds are on cork dry litter I keep moths and flies to the minimum

I believe bleach cleans the crop , I get the odd one or two get ybs I starve them 36 hours then half ounce barley then following day 3/4 ounce barley with weak bleach in the pot 5ml thick bleach to 2 litre

Anyone else use bleach ? My stock birds have bleach straight for seven to ten days before pairing and they really breed me lovely youngsters

I get this every year nowt works but my dad has had pigeons all his life 78 yr he’s never had yb sickness ever think it’s down to the number of YBS we keep he only keeps 18 max this year he only has 11 I have 60 but had 80 birds never been anywhere apart from round the house over a week I had to take 20 out the game 20 I bought in does that tell u something all mine were fine also I’m getting grills for the floor as I believe picking about the floor gives them a higher risk of illness

Day 4 all going to plan with the older youngsters flying for 25 minutes before trying to break the door down to get in and again a reduced amount of turbo hydrate and on looking at section 2 where the younger birds are all droppings are good but one youngster seems to be hanging if that makes sense so one to keep an eye on during the days ahead

Quote: '... My initial thoughts on YBS are simple , I believe that a virus impacts on the youngsters immune system which results in the tell tale signs of vomiting / holding food in the crop and the droppings going off

The next part of YBS is the real challenge as ultimately as the immune system is compromised it allows for the secondary infection to impact on the birds , now one year that could be cocci, the next it could be enteritis etc so the challenge is trying to identify what the underlying cause is hence why you here sometanciers say a certain product worked one year but not the next ...'

Nice to see that logic Darnway.

I have posted as such, or nigh for a very long time... Twice this year too. Often implying that WE have ruined the natural immunity etc. Also It is a second ailment that does the damage because the bird isn't able to get shot of the first ailment etc. and is very weak when the second ailment hits home. As I often state, the Myth too many enjoy, the passing over and not wanting to know, or take on board another reasoning - that maybe aimed at the fanciers.

I was a Moot. Indeed I was involved in many ways. there was a very well know Vet called Parson, One Mr Peters; too. Mark Gilbert and other well known and good names. When the happenings, like your Photo happens. Slimy Dropping and a covering of the last feed etc. The consensus Coming from the top table was unanimous 'Don't separate'!

What? the audience asked 'regards the other birds eating as such ...' The reply was 'Good! Let them eat it! Best to get sorted and an IMUNITY having a chance to become a protection of future attacks etc. Let them get an immunity!

No it's NOT liars, or not knowing that they have had it! that don't get it! Nor never have it! It's a immunity built up in the loft.

Yet many get it every season. Go figure and stop making excuses.

Day 4 on the older youngsters flew for 35 minutes tonight and were fed half protein mix and half turbo hydrate so fingers crossed they will keep it down and the youngster that I noticed off colour today on inspection had canker in the throat so has been moved on

Will update in the morning but so far that’s the only casualty which equates to just over 1% of the team where normally it’s approx 15%

No sure why you thought they had a virus and them let them out to fly... Would have thought that would have put them under more stress... Think the fact that they only flew for 18mins to me shows they were not interested in exercising... Maybe you could tell us yor reasons for exercising them

With regards to letting the birds out from day 2 to day 4 it’s purely a judgement issue as I have kept them locked up for over a week in the past and I have also tried over the past couple of years to let them out on the basis that the drippings are on the mend and the birds are not vomiting or holding food. With regards to day 2 they only flew 18 minutes which is easy to explain , it was raining plus the birds were far more hungry due to the reduced rations given on day 1, day 3 and 4 has seen an increase in fly time to 35 minutes today and I like to see how they trap and they are all in within a minute . If I noticed any vomiting or holding food then I would keep them in. This is a personal decision to let them out or not but having kept pigeons for over 40 years you get a good idea the condition of your flock.

I understand your question when a virus has obviously impacted on the birds immune system and if they weren’t okay they wouldn’t leave the loft

As always these are only my thoughts and there are many roads to Rome that’s the beauty of this sport i

With regards to my assumption that a virus has impacted on them, unfortunately since my house move 6 years ago my birds have had YBS every year always about the middle of May , when I reflect back to each year there are shuttle signs that can be seen from a simple things birds not willing to trap where normally they would break the door down as an example or even a lack of body feathers being thrown and within a couple of days there is vomit and the drippings go off

I have a reasonable medical background and can draw reasonable conclusions that possibly the Adeno Virus lowers the under developed immune system and then it’s the secondary infections that normally are not usually a threat become a genuine challenge to the birds

As I say these are only my observations and I manage my birds accordingly

Not had the sickness for few years

Brought in eggs last year from distance birds

Took yb's of them

41 ybs on darkness nearly through moult in great nick plenty space

Opened them up this morning food on 5 perches all from birds from newcomers as yb's are tame and I got their numbers

Let them all out tonight were just jumping about not flying

Put them up which tells tale immediately they land stressed and some sick

Whistled they came straight in

No feed whatsoever until late Friday afternoon, then only very small seeds

That's them cured

Every new bird brings it's own circus

Easy cured just water no food for 70 hrs

Day 5 and thankfully there have been no issues feeding a heavier mix combined with turbo hydrate last night , no vomit and droppings continue to look decent , what I have noticed is that there are more down feathers on the floor when I opened up this morning so again a positive sign , I think the stuff from Colin Peak must switch the immune system back on which in turn allows the birds to fend off the secondary infections that are always in the background and it gives the birds a chance .

With regards to stock I usually bring in a few old birds each year and with that a new challenge as ultimately they bring their own background of bacteria into a new environment and this I think has an impact on the bacterial balance within a loft , just thinking of that film War of the worlds where a simple cold killed the aliens at the end yet the humans because they had built up immunity were okay, I suppose taking that analogy it makes sense that we increase the risk of cross infections when we introduce new birds , just a thought

I like your post Yeboah. Makes good reading.

Thanks Roland

Put a bed of shaving's in large aviary in front of their section, they have been lying in the glorious sunshine all day since shutters came off at 9am

Just fresh water in with them

Repeat tomorrow and friday

First feed 4pm Friday just drop canary seeds

Depurative Saturday and Sunday

Bottle lucozade in water after monday morning feed when let out they will touch the heavens

A sort of fast version of mo Farah 🤣🤣

With a little square picking eh!

I did deep litter for a while before I packed up. I put a bag in fresh every 6 weeks or so.

MIND I left some well seasoned dropping too.

I just shovelled it into sacks. Rubbed some garden lime on the floor, even perches etc. some time. Then spread some seasoned litter over the floor.

I did a compartment in a day - due to poor health of course.

This leaves the immunity in force for the youngsters and strengthens the older birds.

If, I bought in new stock, / birds they went into their own compartment. Where THEY had seasoned deep litter big time.

If dry, droppings are safe, by the way. Some would change a little with the litter from another compartment.

I delivered the sacks of droppings. Was easy and could leave at the 'Gardeners' houses.

I learnt, a few years back gardeners / allotment persons asked me if the could have it … then came about October time to collect!

Why did I want it! Why do folks think that one wishes to keep it for them? I soon said 'No More' lol

Day 6 and youngsters are looking well and droppings spot on and more feathers on the floor, on the down side I notice a youngster in the the younger team section looking down and on checking it had canker in the throat so have removed this morning and obviously it’s a secondary infection so will decide later how best to proceed

Day 6 PM and the older youngsters out for a 45 minute fly and going to use 341 from Colin Peak that should resolve the canker issue that appears to be giving the younger second team a challenge

If we manage to get young bird racing I was going to outline how the birds perform racing on a weekly basis to see how they perform despite having had YBS so will see nearer the time

Day 6 PM and the older youngsters out for a 45 minute fly and going to use 341 from Colin Peak that should resolve the canker issue that appears to be giving the younger second team a challenge

If we manage to get young bird racing I was going to outline how the birds perform racing on a weekly basis to see how they perform despite having had YBS so will see nearer the time

Would it be an idea to take a note of the birds that you feel are most affected by the initial sickness and then the secondary infection

Day 7 and youngsters looking tight and alert and droppings the best are spot on with the odd bit of down in them( begins g to be a pooh expert and to be fair a lot of us keep a watchful eye on the drippings especially the youngsters)

Have the canker med in the water so hopefully that will quickly resolve the couple of canker flare ups this week

It’s good that you share your experience on this forum. Occasionally what appears to be Canker is not actually canker but a symptom caused by a Herpes Virus. There is no way of telling the difference reliably without medical assistance.